Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2008, 09:32 PM

1,425 posts, read 3,301,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsatx View Post
i would say they moved from Zarzamora around 1984 or 85, correct me if i wrong but on fred road did they move into the old Shakey's?
Yes, you are right... they moved into the old Shakey's and now it is Castle Dentist I believe. I don't care for the new Wurzbach location. Some actors frequented Fujiya's when they were in town... Night Rider was a frequent flyer.

Old 02-07-2008, 12:21 AM

2,359 posts, read 6,399,113 times
I miss Shakey's, but had some in the summer when i was in california.

Old 02-07-2008, 03:58 PM

22 posts, read 72,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49 Olds View Post
A couple of "scotch & water" and I start remembering stuff

Maverick Ranch (1955-1960) – what was left of the ranch bordered by Hillcrest on the west, Babcock on the north, and Sunshine ranch road on the east. A kids dream. A large stock tank to fish, rabbits, snakes and birds to shoot. Large red ants which were food for the horney toads, dung beatles and lizards lived in our back yard for a few years. Cattle still grazed in 1955. Homes and the Jamaican apartments ruined that dream. We were not allowed to have pellet or BB guns, but thank goodness my neighbor did. I did hunt with a bow and arrow.

Bandas Ice House 1964…- Fredericksburg Rd. and Vance Jackson Drive thru service, pool tables and pin ball machines that paid off in beer, which you could take or sell back to Mrs. Banda. A friend of mine was arrested for inciting a riot for covering his arm with ketchup and hanging it out the truck of a car while going thru the drive thru. The place has been an Arts Tire store after Bandas moved to General McMullen .

Butcher Boy (1960) – Blanco road near Basse road. Meat market but had a kitchen and cooked meals. Had a T-bone steak and trimmings for around $1.79 plus tip. I made $1.00 an hour before taxes so it took a big chunk of my Saturdays pay just to eat there.

Atlantic Mills –Name later changed to Spartan Atlantic. Fredricksburg road just west of what is now Northwest center. Entrance faced Northwest center. Building is still there.

Rubens (1957–1960’s) Fredricksburg road north of Vance Jackson – large hanger building, now Goodwill Industries. Mr. Ruben was a merchandiser. He would buy bales of irregular clothes from New York and place on tables at a dirt-cheap price. We bought different colored striped shirts with ¾ sleeves with pockets on the sleeve for 25 cents. We called them our drinking shirts. You could buy a tux shirt for 2 bucks. Mr. Ruben was always dressed in a three-piece suit. A real nice guy and good businessman. He also sold gasoline.

Peppermint Lounge (1960’s-80’s) San Pedro and Fresno drive – I think first Go-Go joint in SA. It later became a topless joint. I think it was named something else before the mint.

Rumseys corner grocery store (1964)– Old Fredricksburg road now IH10 west where Fiesta Texas located. Store on land owned by Mcdonough Brothers limestone quarry. Moved to east side of highway when the plant expanded.

McNeel Machinery Company (1950’s-60’s)– Northwest corner 410 and Vance Jackson. Sales and service of construction machinery. Academy and a host of other businesses occupy the area.

Hi-Ho theatre on S. Presa- 1964 it was a country and western beer joint and dance hall. I was with my boss from Holt Machinery. We were out chasing skirts. He ran his new Pontiac into a cadillac and telephone pole on S. Presa on the way home. I bought the dash with my face. I got patched up and went home. He got to spend a few days in the hospital.

White Castle Hamburgers (1964) – Fredricksburg road south of Angeles courts later renamed $3 motel, or just north of Hildebrand. I think they were steamed, but cute little burgers.
Two memories come back from this message.

I was four years old (1947) and my Dad and I ould walk up to the Hi-Ho theatre from our home on Glenwood Ct. I saw Tarzan and the Mermaids there and hid behind the seat because the bad guy was dressed in a metal mask. When the movie was over, I wanted to see it all over again to see what I missed.

I left SA in 1965 and returned in 1985. All the horned toads had gone. I tried to find out why and all I came up with was DDT. Of course, there were no red ants in 1985 either. Thats what the horned toads ate.

Old 02-07-2008, 05:38 PM

3,109 posts, read 9,800,355 times
Hey Rsasse, I'm not the only person that went to the Hi-Ho. Glad to find someone else.

Old 02-07-2008, 08:21 PM

305 posts, read 1,612,397 times
Any of you remember Kahn's and Rubik's(Rubens), I can't remember the names and anyone I could ask is no longer with us. I think they were located on Commerce just west of downtown. They were retailers.

Old 02-07-2008, 09:36 PM

847 posts, read 2,218,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irnag View Post

Any of you remember Kahn's and Rubik's(Rubens),

I can't remember the names and anyone I could ask is no longer with us.

I think they were located on Commerce just west of downtown.
They were retailers.

irnag, Kahn's??? Are you thinking of Kline's.

If so, I bought work clothes there in the 60s 70s.
Same block as Penner's - always bought my Stacy Adams there.

mud

Old 02-08-2008, 12:14 AM

2,359 posts, read 6,399,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudpuddle View Post
irnag, Kahn's??? Are you thinking of Kline's.

If so, I bought work clothes there in the 60s 70s.
Same block as Penner's - always bought my Stacy Adams there.

mud

The Kline's name in tile is still on the floor in front of the old store on Commerce.

Old 02-08-2008, 12:24 AM

3,109 posts, read 9,800,355 times
Just posted 83 pics of Gruene, TX on new thread, Photos of Small towns around San Antonio.

Old 02-08-2008, 06:21 AM

262 posts, read 906,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irnag View Post
Any of you remember Kahn's and Rubik's(Rubens), I can't remember the names and anyone I could ask is no longer with us. I think they were located on Commerce just west of downtown. They were retailers.
Was Rubin's an outlet store?

Old 02-08-2008, 07:33 PM

109 posts, read 248,323 times
I am new to this message board so I don't know if these things have been talked about or posted but,

Does anybody remeber the food court in North Star mall or Central Park? There was a cookie shop or cinnamon place that had little anamatronic elves acting like they were making cookies or something.

Or what about Mr. dunderbauchs that had that clown riding the bike back and forth on that wire?

What happened to the little plastic animals that Sonic used to put on you glasses?
Man I miss the 80's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio