Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2008, 12:26 AM

2,953 posts, read 5,292,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 56 Desoto View Post
Just found out about this forum thing yesterday (Feb.21st) and it is taking me awhile to figure out what to do with it.

I do remember when Earl Holliman came in and ate at the old Blanco Cafe (across the street from Casbeers) back in the early 1980s. One night, he was with another actor, Rowdie(?) McDowell. They bought some Blanco Cafe t-shirts after eating. I remember speaking to Mr. Holliman. He was a very nice person and friendly to everyone.
The original palm tree design t-shirt that the Blanco Cafe sold was a hot item during that time period and many mexican food places began to copy them. Taco Cabana even started painting their windows like the Blanco Cafe's windows. Of course they presented a more professional and 'slick' look. But I will always like original funky stuff myself. Like their window palm trees (painted by the Boogie Critter-man).
Texas Boogie Designs screen printed the Blanco Cafe shirts and was across the street in an old gas station owned by the San Miguel family. Mr. San Miguel and his wife started the original Blanco Cafe. This man (Mr. San Miguel) began buying up the surrounding neigborhood. I think he owned most of the buildings and houses in that area eventually. Like he was playing Monopoly for real! His son, Alejandro Jr. (Alex) was a great host. Someone told me he has since passed away. I hope not. But if so, "Viva Con Dios Amigo". The whole San Miguel family were (and still are) great assests to Ol' San Antonio. May God Bless them all.
Talk about local history, that old area really has it. This little mexican-food cafe was a real happenin' eatery. People from every socio-economic level would be standing patiently outside in line....waiting for those fabulous hand made flour tortillas. Many who got tired of waiting cruised on down to Chris Madrids for their great burgers.

Jake (Little Jake & the Giants) and Kate Noll were managing the old Junction down the block. It featured wrestling at that time. Across from Agnes Cotton Elementary and Sommer's Drug Store. The Nolls introduced tostados covered with melted cheese in little paper trays to their rowdy clientele. Became their biggest concession item. The world now calls these money making snacks, nachos.
San Antonio has started alot of things that have made fortunes.
Later.
56 Desoto
56 Desoto,

Welcome to the forum! And welcome home. I think you are going to have some great stories to tell, and I for one can't wait to hear them.

Old 02-23-2008, 12:52 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,854,254 times
Where was the original Blanco Cafe located?

Right now it's at Blanco and Oblate.

Before that it wasn't even on Blanco. It was at San Pedro and Oblate, where the Walgreen's is now.

Old 02-23-2008, 09:07 AM

1,066 posts, read 3,692,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post

Before that it wasn't even on Blanco. It was at San Pedro and Oblate, where the Walgreen's is now.
The orginal Blanco Cafe (aka "the dirty one"). is on Blanco near Chris Madrids and Casbeers. It is still there.
They just opened a new one on Blanco close to 1604

Old 02-23-2008, 11:18 AM

Thanks. The one at Blanco/Oblate is pretty good. And it really is built like a cafe inside.

Old 02-23-2008, 10:03 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,431,087 times
Quote:

I thought the town and country motel was there?

Old 02-23-2008, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsatx View Post
I thought the town and country motel was there?
Yes. It might have been a little further past that.

Old 02-24-2008, 08:39 AM

305 posts, read 1,618,051 times
I am addicted to the street view on google maps. Isn't where Big Lots is now used to be a Handy Andy in the strip mall on San Pedro just west of Oblate? And Solo Serve was just west of that?

Old 02-24-2008, 04:44 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,431,087 times
Quote:
Yes. It might have been a little further past that.
I am starting to wonder where it was, I used to love the old Maverick cafe.

Old 02-24-2008, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsatx View Post
I am starting to wonder where it was, I used to love the old Maverick cafe.
I don't know how long it was there because I only ate there once in the 80's, but it was on the northwest corner of San Pedro near Oblate. Between the Walgreen's and the McDonalds. But closer to Oblate. It was probably the very first thing next to the motel. It's hard to picture now but I do remember where it was.

Old 02-24-2008, 06:52 PM

I just looked at the satellite shot of where the Blanco Cafe was on San Pedro and Oblate. The Walgreen's is sort of at the top of a hill, and San Pedro starts to slope downward after Walgreen's (then rises up to a summit again at McDonald's). There was a little strip center (not there now) where the restaurant was. It was on the point where the slope starts to go downward, or else, at the bottom of the slope. There was also a small nursery (tree/plant store) on the same strip *or* very close to it.

That small strip center appears to be gone and I think there is a motel there now next to the Walgreen's.

Yes, believe it or not there was a nursery there, even though there is (and was) a larger one just up the road (still there) which used to be called Wolf Nursery. But this one was smaller.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio