Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2008, 06:21 PM

11 posts, read 60,799 times

Advertisements

There was also another Royal Burger on Callaghan and Culebra. It later became "Burger Time" and is a Mexican Food place now.

Old 03-12-2008, 08:26 AM

1,893 posts, read 5,587,870 times
Royal Burger on Culebra and Callahan.....I used to hate that place. During the Royal Burger era I worked down the street working a rotating shift so me and my co-workers ate out a lot. We got so tired of all the area eaterey's that we devised a way to make our nightly or dailey selection a little more interesting. We took a square box or cube about 6 inches on all sides like a dice and wrote area resteraunt names on the sides instead of numbers. Each day when deciding where we were going to go to get our to go lunches from (we always sent one person to pick up for all), we would roll the die and let it make the selection. The side that said Royal Buger had a disclaimer....Good for one more roll! If it landed on royal Burger twice in a row we had to eat there. This was back in the 70's and ther weren't many choices in the area. None of us liked Royal Buger. They were just nasty.

Old 03-12-2008, 03:32 PM

Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
854 posts, read 2,545,158 times
I think Royal Burger was an attempt to get a Burger King chain into San Antonio. Burger King couldn't move here because of Whopper Burger. Do you get the connection in the names? Also Royal Burger had the ROYAL not the whopper. It was a bad idea from the start. Then Burger King bought out Whopper Burger and moved in anyway.

Old 03-12-2008, 04:01 PM

I thought of some things that believe it or not, have not been mentioned yet. Captain K in the KTSA safty bird, The Cloverleaf Lounge, The Great Gatsby's Sandwich Shop, Sandwich Garden, Poorboy Pantry. How about the first time you rented a Video tape. I used to race Slot cars on friday nights for prizes. There was a slot car shop in the strip center at Vance Jackson and Latch. Dell Village I think. I raced there and Wonderland too. How about Cano's mexican food and Chicken Haven.

Old 03-12-2008, 07:37 PM

60 posts, read 208,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwangle View Post
I thought of some things that believe it or not, have not been mentioned yet. Captain K in the KTSA safty bird, The Cloverleaf Lounge, The Great Gatsby's Sandwich Shop, Sandwich Garden, Poorboy Pantry. How about the first time you rented a Video tape. I used to race Slot cars on friday nights for prizes. There was a slot car shop in the strip center at Vance Jackson and Latch. Dell Village I think. I raced there and Wonderland too. How about Cano's mexican food and Chicken Haven.
Cano's!! I used to go there when I was a kid regularly.. great enchaladas. I ate at Sandwich Garden two weeks ago.. still good.

Old 03-12-2008, 07:47 PM

I remember the Lighthouse..My Dad built his house in 1959..He still lives there..I remember getting lumber at a place on Fred road. near Dewhurst or Gill ..they seem to me to be the same. Straight road ..no IH 10 at all. I remember playing on these huge hills that would become I 10..I remember when Wonderland opened..Northwest center was first then Northstar mall then Wonderland. The Betty and Glen Dance Studio was the only thing down stairs. I don't know why I was there but my Mom and Dad had some reason to be at the Town Hall.. My Sister got married there years later. I remember a glass window before Rhodes was built. There was a YO YO contest and I think the guy that won ended up on " TO TELL THE TRUTH" I think his name was Jimmy Lucas and he lived just down the street. I could be totally wrong about this stuff..I was just a kid.

Old 03-12-2008, 08:03 PM

I am so glad that Sandwich Garden is still there..I almost just drove down there to see.

Old 03-13-2008, 12:09 AM

My parents grew up across town from where I grew up. My earliest memory is a house near Basse and West ave. 238 Cliffwood Drive. To visit Grandma and Grampa we would drive down West ave to Basse and then through Olmos park to Hildebrand. We would take Hildebrand past Brackenridge park and Earl Ables and take a right on New Braunfels. We would drive through Fort Sam Houston and over the old railroad bridge. My mom's parents were on Houston street not far from the Colleseum. My dad's parents were further down at the corner of New Braunfels and Virginia .

Old 03-13-2008, 09:11 AM

2 posts, read 8,143 times
Default Skees Burgers

Quote:
Originally Posted by legendaryest View Post
Does anyone remember the name of the old burger shop on pleasanton and hutchin? its not longer there and cant remember the name of that burger joint.
It was Skees Burgers!

Old 03-13-2008, 10:07 AM

92 posts, read 303,394 times
Dwangle-there was a sandwich shop on San Pedro a couple blocks north of SAC and I think it was the Poorboy Pantry. The shop had a great muffuletta sandwich. They had a large train going around the ceiling perimeter of the shop. I think they also opened a second store on Babcock road in the first block west of Hillcrest in the old Lone Star icehouse. I use to hang out in (1964) at the Cloverleaf lounge on Main ave. east of SAC until a friend of mine was stabbed in the stomach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio