Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2008, 02:17 PM

3,109 posts, read 9,839,572 times

Advertisements

If we would have built Old San Antonio we were toying with making part of it adult only. We were going to recreate the red light district inside the park, complete with gambling, saloons, and gals.

Old 06-02-2008, 04:37 PM

3 posts, read 7,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddyjp7983 View Post
Just to update, we tried to go to Karam's tonight for dinner, and the wait was over an hour. The entire restaurant was packed, including the back patio and the "upper" area that is almost always curtained. Maybe if we can pack the place every night, they will keep it open! I've been going there since I was a kid (40+ years ago) and after losing Naples, La Lou, Little Hipps, et., etc., this one really hurts. We were there two weeks ago, and they said "sometime in late June" was the best estimate of when it would be closing.
Yes, great idea to keep it packed and maybe they will not sell it....or open in another location. Even if they would delay the sell to September I could get back down to Texas for another wonderful Karam's meal.

Old 06-02-2008, 11:37 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,295,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by francogirl View Post
Hey GW.....is that Mrs. Albert Friedrich? Her first name is Emily. The City has either had alot of their land donated to them or the City has paid for it. Friedrich Park is part of that land.
I actually have some pictures I dug up on the internet of her hosting some party here. I don't know if I ever posted them on this thread, though, but I'll look for them.

Old 06-02-2008, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanco Joe View Post
Yes, Cisneros was responsible for more than one Pink Elephant. It was a case of one
good ol' boy deal after another. Personally, he acted a nice guy. But he played the usual political games of the big city, and he used his winning smile and personality to get things done his way. I will never forget how he and his wife snubbed President Reagan when he visited the city and gave a small speech. It was an uncalled for cold shoulder that looked classless on TV. Then came Linda Medlar too.....oh boy!
Does anybody remember a bio-medicine research park he sponsered not far from Sea World? It completely flopped, too. In the early 90's me and my dad picked up an HP Commercial Laser printer from there for (I kid you not) $50, as the place was going belly up. It was slightly smaller than a washing machine. The printer had run out of toner, but they kept saying it was broken and wanted to get rid of it. My dad who was just up there helping out a family friend kept telling them "all you have to do is replace the cartridge." He was a computer engineer, so he knew his stuff. They kept saying, "No, no, its was broken." So my dad just jokingly said "Well, I'll buy it for 50 bucks" they said its yours. We drag this behemeath to his car and once we get in he tells me, "I can't believe they sold this! This costs like $3000 new!" The really ironic thing was, they threw in all the toner cartridges they had lying around so they could make room. I used that printer for over 10 years and only went through about 3 cartirdges. They gave us 10.

Old 06-03-2008, 12:05 AM

I could tell you all a lot of stories about Henry C., garnered through certain family relationships. But I have always been leery of the legal angle of it all. You would be surprised how many of the most extreme "rumored" stories about his family are true. I just can't repeat anything.

Old 06-03-2008, 11:45 AM

8 posts, read 19,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 940 View Post
I believe it was..my memory is cloudy on the exact area but I remember eating there and being fascinated by all the German products they sold also.
I know that this is an old post, but I am new to this forum, so I am going thru the many pages to jog my memories of old things in SA. Maybe the original posters will see this, but the restaurant that I think y'all are refering to in North Star Mall was Mr. Dunderbachs, not Der Weinerschitzel. My folks took me and my brother there a lot, and I also remember the German items that they had for sale. Great German sausage and sandwiches. It was located just to the right of the old Frost Bros. at the beginning of the connecting hallway to the original part of the mall. I can't believe that I remember so much about it!

Old 06-03-2008, 12:10 PM

8 posts, read 19,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcs View Post
ONe of the guys that jumped off the Tower of Americas worked in the Lobby Dept at the West Ave Albertsons in 81 or so. He had been married only a short time. That is all I will say about that. Pretty sad around the store the day after. We had a make shift memorial in the drug back room for a day or so.
I am picking up some old threads here, but there are a lot of memories housed in this forum. I went to high school with the young man you are referring to, and this happened only a few years after we graduated. Yes, he had been married only a short time, and we all heard that it was marrital trouble that was the cause. I know his name, but will keep that private. It has been a long time since I thought about this, and it was the first time that I attended a funeral where someone my age had passed. To this day I remember it as a very sad day and one with a lesson. The beauty of forums like this is that they bring back all sorts of memories, happy and sad. Thankfully, most are happy.

Old 06-04-2008, 01:50 PM

Default Edge Falls

Has anybody found this site yet? I don't remember seeing it in previous posts, but let's face it, there are a lot posts and I could easiliy have missed it.

Regardless, this site has some great pictures of Edge Falls and they seem fairly recent, maybe even in the last year or two.

Edge Falls is not open to the pu

Enjoy!

Old 06-04-2008, 02:18 PM

1,241 posts, read 4,334,730 times
Anyone been around so long that they remember the old plane that they had just outside Kelly AFB? If you wanted to, you could walk out on the wing. I guess they dismantled it because it was very very old. If you were driving down 90, it was on the right hand side of the runway and you couldn't miss it. I drove by today and it's an overgrown area of weeds and such. You can tell though that something was there.

Last edited by SA Greed; 06-04-2008 at 02:19 PM.. Reason: correcting punctiation, sorry if there are others.

Old 06-04-2008, 06:51 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,434,187 times
Does anyone know in what year the Fargo's Pizza locations all closed? Have been looking to find something but nothing came up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio