Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2008, 08:21 AM

25 posts, read 62,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexkwandosatx View Post
darknight, i completely feel your pain...lol...i truly wish that i had taken pictures of things when i was growing up, especially my old hangouts...for example, the only "memory" that i have of the former Mr. Gatti's Pizza that was on Blanco and Parliament (now a laundromat as of the late 90's) are some photos of my 18th birthday party...yes, i had a birthday party there...lol but i had to oblige my parents one last time before i stopped listening to them... but we rented out the party room in the back and at the time my friends and i were huge fans of DUMB AND DUMBER so we all ate pizza and quoted along to the movie...it was great. but i also should have taken pics of Windsor, Central and McCreeles when i had the chance. i too am starting to record my places a little better these days. have a great trip back and don't be a stranger.
Thanks...today I'll be going to a couple of my childhood haunts. You never realize how much you miss something until its gone.

Old 07-27-2008, 12:23 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,798,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesus316 View Post
Hello sirs,
i have lived in san antonio once, in late 1986-99, i have relatives there and when my parents and us used to live in Junction, we would drive down there in the 70s , i remember going down Bandera rd and seeing NOTHING between Loop 1604 and Loop 410 except for the TOWERS of radiostation KKYX 680 off to the left of uss driving intoS.A. I also remember going past a Piggly-Wiggly as we climbed into S.A just past Loop 410 on Bandera. i also remember something else most might not. We would stop at a store on Old Hwy 90 called Bens Supermarket and buy some bulk weiners, think they were made by Roegelein???,OOOOH i loooveod those franks, they had a verrry red skin, would leach(lol)the water red when they were cooked, and had a flavor that i have been UNABLE to find since then. I wonder if they are still being made and where i could find them?? anyone know?? also, i do remember in the mid 80's there was still no trafficon 1604 almost anywhere, now its nuts, soo much developement everywere(sighs).

Hello, Yes most of the outskirts have filled in over that time period. There are new apartment complexes going up all over 410 on the southside. If you saw a Piggly Wiggly after 86' it must have been closed. I'm pretty sure they were all gone by the 70's. I liked the old Pickled sausages they had in jars in most bars years ago. Think they had some at Sam's last time I went. The ones your speaking of must have had a lot of red dye in them. Swift & Roegelein both used to have packing houses next to the Union Stockyards here many years ago. Sorry, I see now you visited in the 70's and that may be when you could have seen an open Piggly Wiggly.

Last edited by SATX56; 07-27-2008 at 12:36 PM..

Old 07-27-2008, 02:29 PM

24 posts, read 59,932 times
Default In SA from 57 to 76

and the three main grocery stores on the south side were HEB Piggly Wiggly and Handy Andy. We also had two Model Markets at that time.

Old 07-27-2008, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scythempress View Post
and the three main grocery stores on the south side were HEB Piggly Wiggly and Handy Andy. We also had two Model Markets at that time.
One on Goliad and one on Pleasanton Rd. Waitz Model Markets There was one on N. New Braunfels north of Austin Hwy. Northside of course.

Old 07-28-2008, 07:54 AM

1 posts, read 2,850 times
Hey old friend of mine from Holmes High school clued me into this site. Great! I was born near the old westside near Lanier High School , my mom moved us to the northside when I was 6 years old started at Fenwick, Elemeneatry, Woodlawn Hills, Longfellow Jr. high, Pat Neff, then Sul Ross and finally Homes.
Spent a lot of my time at an address at 1105 Bandera Rd..used to be a Texaco across the street, McCoys kindergarten opposite of that and the Dairy Queen next door. The MCoys property was sold and became Gibson's.
Favorite Drive ins were the Varsity and Bandera!..I remember the old car clubs King Cobras and Road Runners. My sisters both worked at the orignial Bigger Burger near Cincinnati and Bandera.
There was a Piggly Wiggly there for years and nearer to Woodlawn at the Varisty Center, Winn's and Luby's, HEB's would not sell beer or wine

Last edited by oldsansider; 07-28-2008 at 08:06 AM.. Reason: mispelling

Old 07-28-2008, 10:57 AM

1 posts, read 2,835 times
Default little mike's italian food restaurant

Does anyone remember a restaurant on the southwest (?) side of downtown called Little Mike's Italian Food (?) I don't even remember if that's the right name, or exactly where it was, but when I worked in the downtown area back in the early 1980's we used to go there sometimes for lunch. I seem to recall that they would serve you three or four courses for lunch. I also remember going to eat barbecue in a garage at the back of house just west of downtown. Two Jamaican ladies cooked it and you ate on picnic tables in the garage.

Old 07-28-2008, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsansider View Post
Hey old friend of mine from Holmes High school clued me into this site. Great! I was born near the old westside near Lanier High School , my mom moved us to the northside when I was 6 years old started at Fenwick, Elemeneatry, Woodlawn Hills, Longfellow Jr. high, Pat Neff, then Sul Ross and finally Homes.
Spent a lot of my time at an address at 1105 Bandera Rd..used to be a Texaco across the street, McCoys kindergarten opposite of that and the Dairy Queen next door. The MCoys property was sold and became Gibson's.
Favorite Drive ins were the Varsity and Bandera!..I remember the old car clubs King Cobras and Road Runners. My sisters both worked at the orignial Bigger Burger near Cincinnati and Bandera.
There was a Piggly Wiggly there for years and nearer to Woodlawn at the Varisty Center, Winn's and Luby's, HEB's would not sell beer or wine
I remember going to the Varsity Drive in we would always stop at the Frontier drive in for food. Jim's Frontier was in the triangle formed by Bandera Rd. & Culebra intersection. Varsity was right across the street.

Old 07-28-2008, 12:13 PM

10 posts, read 22,543 times
Reading through all the different posts brings back great memories. I was born 1969. During my elementary school years I remember field trips to Butter Krust bakery on Broadway St. At the end of the tour we were given a slice of buttered bread, a ruler, and a pencil. We loved Playland Park. We still have a couple of pictures that were taken there. My mom would shop at Solo Serve, La Feria, Kress, Winns, Kmart. She would get her glasses at TSO (Texas State Optical). My father would take us to Dunken Donuts on San Pedro Ave. to eat donuts with hot chocolate. I loved their blueberry muffins. They would put them in the microwave for a couple of seconds then they would cut it open and put butter in it. Mmmmm I can already taste it. We would watch at the window as they would prepare and cut the dough for the donuts. On the weekends we would go eat at Shakey's Pizza on Fredericksburg Rd. My sis and I would stand by the big window and watch as the man would make the pizza. We would go to San Pedro Park and swim in the creek. During my high school years I would skip school (bad girl) and go to the Aztec Theater. Later when I got married I maxed out my credit card at Montgomery Wards. (I think I still owe them). I also worked for La Internacional Store for a couple of months. And I DO remember when Luby's was affordable for the whole family. All of those are just memories now that we can share with our kids.

Old 07-28-2008, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesus316 View Post
hmm, i remember going to Centenos Grocery as a young child way back in the late 70s, think it was on Castroville Rd??, i know It was HUGE. i used to shop at the one on Commerce before it closed, bought a LOT of music there i STILL have on cassettes. I remember a store on Flores called SUPER SAVER FOODS, and also WAREHOUSE GROCEY. I also remember Handy Andy , always thought they were a bit overpriced.
I remember Centeno's. we would shop at the one on Commerce.

Old 07-28-2008, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
Is that sign over the bridge that is over San Pedro Just north of Hildebrand?
And, does it still flood under there? I had forgotten that one until reminded.

Yeah I think that is the one they are talking about. I think at one time that sign featured one of the Spurs players shooting a basketball.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio