Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2008, 04:25 PM

3 posts, read 11,311 times

Advertisements

49 Olds,
Though I remember there being a number of ceramic animals on the grounds, I believe what you are remembering was an actual caged bear.
BJ

Old 10-08-2008, 09:38 AM

237 posts, read 851,315 times
Thanx to Kmerian for the Loma China news. Can you add anything to the story, how do you know about the old town and are you confirming the "haunted" cemetery's location on S. Zarzamora and Loop 410 as being in the Loma China location? As a published historian of San Antonio Chinese heritage any and all info on their presence in this region is most welcome so thank you again. BudB

Old 10-09-2008, 09:11 AM

121 posts, read 488,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudB View Post
Thanx to Kmerian for the Loma China news. Can you add anything to the story, how do you know about the old town and are you confirming the "haunted" cemetery's location on S. Zarzamora and Loop 410 as being in the Loma China location? As a published historian of San Antonio Chinese heritage any and all info on their presence in this region is most welcome so thank you again. BudB
According to USGS Topo maps, this is the Loma China Cemetery:
ACME Mapper 2.0

Unfortunately, the only other thing I have ever found on Loma China, is a document in the Bexar County Clerks office where the Guzman family gave some land to the Loma China School District in 1901 for a school on the south side of Chaveneaux Road, which would place the school at least under Loop 410.

Old 10-09-2008, 09:52 AM

34 posts, read 107,349 times
Pat & gladys in the conner of the parking lot from the old k-mart ( on goliad) closed down when HEB moved in ( now it is a gold's gym) ( HEB is acoss the street) where the old HANDY DANS was....
yes i was out there on IH 37 too start and finish lines panted on the ( 37) does any one remeber the Gillespie Ford on Goliad Rd across the street from winns i think there was a pigly wiggly on Goliad
that now is a auto parts or am i on the wrong side of Pecan valley.....

Old 10-09-2008, 10:25 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,832,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmerian View Post
According to USGS Topo maps, this is the Loma China Cemetery:
ACME Mapper 2.0

Unfortunately, the only other thing I have ever found on Loma China, is a document in the Bexar County Clerks office where the Guzman family gave some land to the Loma China School District in 1901 for a school on the south side of Chaveneaux Road, which would place the school at least under Loop 410.

Great map , looks like Curly Hill aka Sun Harvest now. Met Cowboys Mike Ditka and Walt Garrison on a cold wintry day early 70's!! Yes I'd have to cofirm that's Loma China. Possibly Chinese Graveyard in dispute. Scared the cr@p out of proprietor as I flew by blowing the doors off a red metal flaked Dodge early 70's!!

Old 10-09-2008, 10:35 AM

4,796 posts, read 15,367,677 times
Bud....not sure this will help you, but it might lead you to a source for more info.
I found this obituary from the San Antonio Light from 1955. (Completely a coincedence this person's name is also "Bud".)

Quote:
Obit- August 23, 1955
Bud McBurney. 72, of Fitch Ave: rosary 8pm at Alamo Funeral Home chapel; services, 8:30am chapel, 9am St Joseph's Catholic Church; burial, Loma China cemetery. source - San Antonio Light
Possibly inquiring at Alamo Funeral Home or even St. Joseph's Catholic Church might give you a bit more information on the history of the Loma China cemetery....or any funeral home for that matter should have at least basic info on actively used cemeteries.

Just came across additional info that a Martin Perez is buried there. He was born 1894 and died in 1955 also. His wife was Mrs. Santa Guzman Perez which ties to Kmerian's info about the Guzman family giving land to a school in Loma China.

Last edited by wCat; 10-09-2008 at 10:42 AM.. Reason: added info

Old 10-09-2008, 11:24 AM

Hummm!!! Don't sound Chinese to me !! But Guzman's may have shared space in cemetary. Fitch is 2 blks. north of Southcross off Pleasanton Road!!

Old 10-09-2008, 11:27 AM

905 posts, read 2,959,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATEX38 View Post
Pat & gladys in the conner of the parking lot from the old k-mart ( on goliad) closed down when HEB moved in ( now it is a gold's gym) ( HEB is acoss the street) where the old HANDY DANS was....
yes i was out there on IH 37 too start and finish lines panted on the ( 37) does any one remeber the Gillespie Ford on Goliad Rd across the street from winns i think there was a pigly wiggly on Goliad
that now is a auto parts or am i on the wrong side of Pecan valley.....
That pat & Gladys was where my dad loved to hang out, but there was a Spartan Atlantic store there in those days.

I don't remember the Gillespie Ford, but I do remember the Piggly Wiggly. It was on the corner of Goliad and Pecan Valley - the southwest corner, i think.

Old 10-09-2008, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catriona View Post
That pat & Gladys was where my dad loved to hang out, but there was a Spartan Atlantic store there in those days.

I don't remember the Gillespie Ford, but I do remember the Piggly Wiggly. It was on the corner of Goliad and Pecan Valley - the southwest corner, i think.
Now see I didn't even know there was another "Pat and Gladys" ! The one we went to was on Roosevelt between Southcross and the bridge!

Old 10-09-2008, 12:43 PM

141 posts, read 508,547 times
Default Country and Western Bar from 80's on Walzem...

I don't know what triggered this memory, could've been watching URBAN COWBOY recently, but i vaguely recall a country western bar and grill (maybe grill) that was located off of Walzem, i believe where the .99 store is (was?) in the 80's. i want to say it was called TJ COUNTRY, or something like that, but i remember the overwhelming smell of woodchips inside. now, i was a kid, probably 7 or 8 so that's why i think it was a bar and grill that allowed kiddos...or i had incredibly irresponsible parents...lol (j/k ) just a random memory of that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio