Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2009, 07:53 AM

237 posts, read 850,964 times

Advertisements

Hey friends, there is a great Mike Persia picture postcard in my new book mentioned here recently. It shows the old dealership on S. St. Mary's looking toward the Plaza Hotel downtown. I could post it here if someone will tell me how that's done and I have a second one of the Persia Used Car lot too if anyone is interested.

Old 02-04-2009, 08:34 AM

4,796 posts, read 15,361,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudB View Post
Hey friends, there is a great Mike Persia picture postcard in my new book mentioned here recently. It shows the old dealership on S. St. Mary's looking toward the Plaza Hotel downtown. I could post it here if someone will tell me how that's done and I have a second one of the Persia Used Car lot too if anyone is interested.
Nothing better than getting permission from the author! Bud...do you use Photobucket? Send me a note if you don't and I'll explain it. The postcard is great!

Old 02-04-2009, 11:50 AM

35 posts, read 115,884 times
According to a Houston post, the Mike Persia commercials there featured a swami
trying to charm a snake. Persia ? Persian snake charmer ? I guess.
In the late 60's Jordan Ford's mascot was the "Little Profit" , and he was also a little
swami type character.

Old 02-04-2009, 12:46 PM

45 posts, read 149,559 times
[quote=BudB;7285374][quote=Dwangle;7258789]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudB View Post
"She said she was Bohemian and my grandfather was Czech."
Dwangle, I hope you won't be offended but the word I always heard in reference to mixed eastern European stock was "Bohunk" and the region east of San Antonio & Austin toward Brenham/Houston and the Coastal Bend is full of them, thank goodness. If it weren't for such people there might never have been any kolaches, Shiner Beer, Adolph Hofner and the Pearl Wranglers, wurstfests, old time dance halls like Lubianskis at St. Hedwigs or Schroeder Hall near Goliad and dozens of others all over that area, painted churches at Praha and Panamaria, plus a long list of other fabulous things from that mixed up legacy.
I wish I could get that recipe for kolaches even if it is trouble because fresh baked ones are truly great especially the ones with that special cheese filling, my favorite. Thank you for mentioning your heritage. Bud
Hello all!! I've sure missed all the memories here but I'm back now. I (who vowed to return to my "home" after HS grad) ended up married to one of those Coastal Bend "Bohunk's". Can't complain though, my mother-in-law makes kolaches often (nothing better than poppyseed, cream cheese or prune!). I'll have to get you the recipe (it belonged to my husbands great grandmother who lived in Halletsville). My father-in-law was the first generation born in the US after they arrived. He and his relatives aways spoke Czech when they were together.
Does anyone remember the KJZT picnics at some park in SA? I went all the time with my best friend?

Old 02-04-2009, 03:26 PM

Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
854 posts, read 2,543,835 times
Do people still shoot arrows into the big indian? I used to think that was so funny!

Old 02-04-2009, 05:23 PM

237 posts, read 850,964 times
Default Comanche Park, Salado Creek and more Bohunks, yahoo!

"Does anyone remember the KJZT picnics at some park in SA?"
That was most likely Comanche Park out on Rigsby just down the hill from the long gone Rigsby Drive-In mentioned a while back. Comanche Park has been the site of countless picnics for longer than I can remember and that's a lot longer than I wish it was. It sits along Salado Creek and has great old BBQ pits for fabulous brisket, ribs, sausage and chicken whenever an experienced cooker is on the job. If you can get your hands on the old kolache recipe please send it along either here or by DM. My nursing grad school daughter loves to bake on weekends so maybe we can keep your granny's memory alive in a tasty way. Sponty-bohem y'all!

Old 02-04-2009, 08:53 PM

Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
854 posts, read 2,543,835 times
Yes you are right !! Colaches are made with poppy seeds and cheese and prunes! I am so glad that they are still being made!

Old 02-05-2009, 07:59 AM

139 posts, read 504,292 times
[quote=Nena1961;7320062][quote=BudB;7285374]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwangle View Post
Hello all!! I've sure missed all the memories here but I'm back now. I (who vowed to return to my "home" after HS grad) ended up married to one of those Coastal Bend "Bohunk's". Can't complain though, my mother-in-law makes kolaches often (nothing better than poppyseed, cream cheese or prune!). I'll have to get you the recipe (it belonged to my husbands great grandmother who lived in Halletsville). My father-in-law was the first generation born in the US after they arrived. He and his relatives aways spoke Czech when they were together.
Does anyone remember the KJZT picnics at some park in SA? I went all the time with my best friend?
Yeah you did diskapear for a while. Did you find a time machine and Go Back and eat at Firstmate and the Flame Then Visit Joske's Fantasy, land At Christmas. Welcome back. HHW

Old 02-05-2009, 11:04 AM

64 posts, read 431,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJFunny1 View Post
Oh lord, now you're talking cars....my passion....
Do you know where the building in the attached photo is? It was the former home of a Packard dealer.
Attached Thumbnails
Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part I-packard-building.jpg  

Old 02-05-2009, 06:04 PM

22 posts, read 72,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DickZ View Post
Do you know where the building in the attached photo is? It was the former home of a Packard dealer.
Wow, I don't recognize that at all....where is it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio