Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2009, 02:04 PM

237 posts, read 848,556 times

Advertisements

Dear Buffyfan, I didn't meant to say that Lubianskis was rowdy, only that on occasion some of the good ol' boys had too much fire water and things got rough and tumble outside. But that happened nearly anywhere back then especially in the '60s whenever boys and girls got together and somebody shoved somebody else for looking at the wrong girl or whatever and the feathers hit the fan. Anyhow, Lubianskis was a great old dance hall and St. Hedwig is a nice place to live now, then or later.

Old 03-07-2009, 02:11 PM

237 posts, read 848,556 times
For appler, what are some of your fonder memories of working for Jimmy Johnson at Playland? Or was it just another job that helped pay the rent and was no more or less fun to work at than other anyplace? For we former customers, the fond memories are many and sweet even if they're a bit colored by the many years since we were inside San Antonio's little magic kingdom. Silly as it may seem, I would give a lot for just one more afternoon and evening there just as it was say about 1960 or '70 or '80. Luckily I was able to take my then four year old son there a couple times in Playland's last year or so and while he probably doesn't recall those precious few hours, they are pure gold in my memory.

Last edited by BudB; 03-07-2009 at 02:13 PM.. Reason: correct spelling

Old 03-07-2009, 02:44 PM

114,841 posts, read 65,579,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudB View Post
Dear Buffyfan, I didn't meant to say that Lubianskis was rowdy, only that on occasion some of the good ol' boys had too much fire water and things got rough and tumble outside. But that happened nearly anywhere back then especially in the '60s whenever boys and girls got together and somebody shoved somebody else for looking at the wrong girl or whatever and the feathers hit the fan. Anyhow, Lubianskis was a great old dance hall and St. Hedwig is a nice place to live now, then or later.
Hey BudB, I heard St. Hedwig's was rowdy back then. But, I frequented Quihi in those days. Quihi ,which amounted to a tin bldg. on stilts in the middle of no where was nice. I witnessed almost a brawl there once. But other than that it was a great friendly place to go dance. Only time I actually went to St. Hedwig's was I think a company party. I worked at Dr Pepper with a man named Pfeil who was kin to ..was it Pfeil Bros?? They played music locally like the Mattheny Bros. Anyhow, wife and I attended St. Hedwig's danced and partied. Even met my old boss from the Union Stockyards there. He was from Stockdale!! I'm sure this place was as peaceful as Quihi most of the time!! Those were the days!!

Old 03-08-2009, 09:29 AM

1,220 posts, read 2,671,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudB View Post
No offense taken...just curious how it was back in the day! Still can't see my dad involved in a bar brawl! well, anytime alcohol is involved, things happen, y'know?

Old 03-08-2009, 05:16 PM

4 posts, read 11,900 times
Does anyone know about the explosion that happened on November 13, 1963. The US Atomic Energy Commission operated a facility at Medina Base, now Lackland Training Annex, where obsolete nuclear weapons were disassembled. An explosion in storage igloo #572 at the site involved 123,000 lb of high explosive components causing minor injuries to three employees. Low levels of radioactive contamination from nuclear components stored in another part of the structure was detected. The blast broke windows for miles around the blast site. The whole event was eclipsed 9 days later by the assination of Kennedy in Dallas.

Old 03-08-2009, 06:21 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,316,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtguy View Post
Does anyone know about the explosion that happened on November 13, 1963. The US Atomic Energy Commission operated a facility at Medina Base, now Lackland Training Annex, where obsolete nuclear weapons were disassembled. An explosion in storage igloo #572 at the site involved 123,000 lb of high explosive components causing minor injuries to three employees. Low levels of radioactive contamination from nuclear components stored in another part of the structure was detected. The blast broke windows for miles around the blast site. The whole event was eclipsed 9 days later by the assination of Kennedy in Dallas.
That was two years before I found SA. Sounds like you know quite a bit. Please give us more details!!!!

Old 03-08-2009, 06:26 PM

Here's a link. See page 194
Broken Arrow - The Declassified ... - Google Book Search

Old 03-08-2009, 06:31 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,316,456 times
Quote:
Very interesting!!! And really? no casualties? That's amazing after seeing that photo!

Old 03-08-2009, 06:36 PM

wCat, are you the one that posted some information about Algo Diferente?

I found this site by trying to find our information about Algo Diferente, aka: "The Castle". I grew up in Colonies North and Whispering Oaks (the old side) and we use to ride our motorcycles over there. The old building was really awesome and we use to ride on the marble dance floor in the building. There was also at least one pool and a concrete fountain pond. I thought I would never see images of the old building ever again. If it was you that posted the pics and links, thanks for the memories.

Old 03-09-2009, 03:04 AM

114,841 posts, read 65,579,975 times
Quote:
Yes, I recall when this happened and read quite a bit about it a while back. It's very interesting !! I remember the explosion and days later standing on Military Drive to see President Kennedy!! Kennedy's motorcade went from Kelly AFB down Military drive to Brooks Field. I was standing on the north side of Military Drive between S. Flores and Roosevelt! The motorcade went past us going east towards Brooks field!! President Kennedy had a speech for the new Aerospace Medical Center opening. I've been on Medina base and all around it on the outside . Always wondered if the truth has ever been told!! Medina Base was definitely a nuclear weapons Depot at the time!! Believe the Del Rio Base was used for dismantling nukes later on!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio