Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2007, 09:11 AM

159 posts, read 784,488 times

Advertisements

Here are the two best sites I have found for old San Antonio movie theaters. I really enjoyed all these pics.

http://www.satheatres.com/Home_Page.php (broken link)

http://www.sanantoniotheatres.com/main.html

Old 12-13-2007, 12:32 PM
tcs

218 posts, read 876,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by super-FISH-ial View Post
If I remember the story correctly there were two brothers (I think Stehling was the last name) that owned Taco Cabana and one wanted to "go big time" big expansion, publicly traded stock, etc. The other wanted to stay small family owned. So they literally flipped a coin to see who would get the Taco Cabana name and the other would have to find another name. Well, we all know which one won the coin toss.

Stevenson parties - ahhhh the memories. We made many bon fires and spun many donuts in that field.

SF
Marshall class of '85
I worked for the Stehling brothers Felix and Mike, at the Crystal Pistol. They offered me the management position at Taco Cabana #2 which was an old Royal Burger on WWWhite. That was 1979. Turned down their offer 3 times. That would have been a sweet ride. Today I would have been retired, auhhhh, but I am not complaining.

Old 12-13-2007, 07:50 PM

60 posts, read 208,102 times
I have been reading this thread for several weeks now in my spare time (only on page 171) and I am simply blown away by all the memories that have been brought back. There are things that had been seemingly erased from my mind but immediately popped back into clarity when I read about them. I'm 41 years old and have lived here my whole life- grew up in the Basse/Blanco area. I have been resisting the urge to register but I really want to see all the pictures posted so I finally gave in. Now I'm going to have to go back and check out all the pictures. Several people mentioned Ringo's hamburgers- believe it or not my grandfather was Ringo himself. Technically, he was my step-father's father but my mother and step-father have been married since I was 2 years old so he was a real grandfather to me. I remember there were at least two different locations and maybe three (but maybe not at the same time). One was on West Ave across from the Dairy Queen and the second was on Jackson Keller across from Nimitz Middle School. Unless I'm mistaken I seem to recall another one in the parking lot of a grocery store (can't recall the name) on Blanco south of West Ave in the little building which was later a Fishin' Pier. I don't know why it was called Ringo's because his name was Harry. Both Harry and his wife Louise died several years ago but I will always have memories of spending Christmas Eve at their little rock house on W. Mandalay. Someone else mentioned Tom Eng's on West Ave- I will always remember that on the night of the big city-wide power blackout I was all alone at home because my parents had went to Tom Eng's to pick up supper. It seemed like hours before they came home but I'm sure it was just because the house was all dark. I hope this thread continues for hundreds of more pages...

Old 12-13-2007, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primo View Post
In honor of GW Whopper and all his efforts......let us take a moment to recall all the locations of Whopper Burger and GW Jrs? I know this isn't all of them

Whopper Burger:
I-10 Wurzbach (HEB parking lot)
Callaghan and Fredricksburg
410 and Bandera
Wonderland Mall
San Pedro( near Maggies, present day Arbys)
St. Mary's strip (Present day Burger Boy)
West Ave near Basse (present day Murfs)
San Pedro (Between N. Star and Oblate, present day Murfs)

GW Jr. :
Wurzbach and Blumel
Broadway & 410
Wonderland Mall
I often ate with my grandparents at the GW JR's at the corner of Basse and Blanco. I remember the order counter seemed really high and they kept the meat patties in a metal bin inside some liquid. MMMMMMMMMMMMM..... meat patties in liquid....

Old 12-13-2007, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by debdeb525 View Post
Could it be the one by Jackson-Keller and San Pedro
Remember when Pizza Hut only had thin crust pizza and it came on a round cardboard tray inside a poofy paper "tent" stapled closed for take out? It was always a special treat when we went to the San Pedro/Jackson Keller store for pizza.

Old 12-13-2007, 08:22 PM

Sorry.. I just can't stop thinking out loud.. does anyone remember a place called Zack's Games? It was in the small strip center on the S/W corner of the Blanco/Jackson Keller intersection. It was a small videogame arcade where I remember playing "F R O G G E R". How about the Blanco Rentals store just down the street? That place is still there and looks almost exactly the same as it did in my childhood. I've never been in there but I guess they are doing something right.

I was also one of those BMX riding kids in the trails at the end of Allena... spent lots of time there trying to get the nerve up to ride down "suicide hill".

Old 12-13-2007, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsatx View Post
I remember the K-mart on San Pedro, and a few doors down from where Murf's is was a shakey's pizza.
The K-Mart was orginally a Globe. Attached to the right side of the buiding was a grocery store which later became a National Outdoors Army/Navy store.

Old 12-13-2007, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
Some one may have mentioned this earlier in this forum, but does anybody remember the Nighthawk Steak Restaurant on San Pedro? That one closed down like in the late 70's or early 80's, but I remember stumbling on one about 10 years ago in Austin. I think the restaurants are all gone now, but they still make the frozen steak dinners in the stores. I'd be curious if anybody knows their backstory.
One of my high school friends worked at that Night Hawk which was in the parking lot of the old K-Mart on San Pedro. We would go there and meet him after work sometimes.

Old 12-13-2007, 08:51 PM
940 940 started this thread

13,791 posts, read 8,150,428 times
Thanks for your memories, 1313...glad you're enjoying the thread. Keep your recollections coming also and that will help keep this thread going for a long time!!

Old 12-13-2007, 09:32 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,291,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1313 View Post
Sorry.. I just can't stop thinking out loud.. does anyone remember a place called Zack's Games? It was in the small strip center on the S/W corner of the Blanco/Jackson Keller intersection. It was a small videogame arcade where I remember playing "F R O G G E R". How about the Blanco Rentals store just down the street? That place is still there and looks almost exactly the same as it did in my childhood. I've never been in there but I guess they are doing something right.

I was also one of those BMX riding kids in the trails at the end of Allena... spent lots of time there trying to get the nerve up to ride down "suicide hill".
Don't apologize, memories like yours are why all keep coming back here to read and post. We want to hear them, keep 'em coming!

And welcome to the thread!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio