Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2008, 10:01 AM

22 posts, read 57,387 times

Advertisements

Boy has San Antonio changed . I remember the only out - to - dinner choices to be Naples, La Fonda , or The Barn Door . Thank God there are some better places now and more stores as well . Frost Brothers and Joskes were just too few . I do miss a great bakery . Mrs .Scnieders was awsome.. As a 42 year old woman ; I still crave the Vanilla Iced Birthday Cake , Chocolate Devils Food Sqares , and Cookies . They used to have Coffee there and I remember as a child always drinking it through the thin red and white double stirrer straws with lots of cream . There were locations on Broadway , I think on North New Braunfels - next to The Pin Cusion and on Fredrickdsurg Road -Latter they moved into Waitz Model market who moved to Austin Highway . They moved all their light wood display cases and then after a while ; disappered , Does anyone know any recipees from them ?

Old 02-13-2008, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irnag View Post
Wow! you guys are going to the way back machine. All that stuff and I am drawing a complete blank. I don't remember much of that. I remember Oak Hills Bowling, but that was and still is I think on the corner of Fredricksburg and Callaghan. I remember when we first moved out to the northside (Babcock and Callaghan), my dad coming from the city from I-10 would miss the 410 exit and we would laugh because the next exit was El Paso. Not literally, but there wasn't an exit at Callaghan or Wurzbach at the time. I think you had to go all the way to Fredricksburg back then. I used to buy my vinyl albums at Davy Jones's Locker at the Colonies North Mall. Anyone remember the skating rink in the mall that was near the airport, I think near or on Broadway? I can't for the life of me remember the name of the mall. I do remember it was missing a key ingredient, stores.
The Quadrangle - My mom droped me off to scate and walked in to find men with Jackhammers tearing it up . That was the end of ice skating for years .

Old 02-13-2008, 10:11 AM

aways spit blls from the balcony at the symphony for kids

Old 02-13-2008, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Central Park mall used to have a tiny pizza shop near Dillard's called New York Pizza. It opened in the late 70's. It was the best New York styled pizza that San Antonio ever had.

There was also a Jim's Frontier Burgers near Sears on the lower level. After they closed it was a pet shop for a while.
i remember New York Pizza - just off the side entrance - rmember eating Pizza there on cold days with mydad and also when they made hot Fench Bread in Handy ondy - my dad would push me in the cart and we would eat the whole thing before checking out

Old 02-13-2008, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodarlin View Post
Christie's was not "off" Broadway. It was right on Broadway. Does anyone have a recipie for their Thousand Island dressing? I grew up on that stuff and miss it terribly.
Before that site was Christie's it was a restaurant called the Broadway Grove.
The Grove sold nickle hamburgers and had car hops dressed like bell hops. My grandfather owned/operated the building/business and when he decided to hang up the restaurant business he sold it to Mr. Christie...which I think was some time in the mid to late '40's.
My grandfather also owned a business on Houston street called the Hoffman House Bar. We aren't sure if it was Hoffman or Huffman but we KNOW it was a bar.
Can anyone add to this info? I would love to hear it.
There is a Christies in Houston on Westheimer near The Galleria - it is the sameas the one from Broadway

Old 02-13-2008, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
Found this on the net and was wondering if anybody knew anything about this restaurant. I think someone posted something about Tai-Shan earlier. It looks like an interesting place.

Also, do any of you remember about a place called Electric Park? I found a bunch of references to it and some old cool postcards, but I myself have no memory of it. Where was it? What happened to it?

Just Curious on both places
The building is still there ; just south of Brakenridge park on Broadway - now i remember it was a restraunt

Old 02-13-2008, 10:23 AM

kiddie city?

Old 02-13-2008, 11:28 AM

92 posts, read 301,554 times
abigailnewrob- Reference Schneiders Bakery on Fredericksburg road. Was it near the Woodlawn theatre and Zarzamora st.? I had an acquaintance whose wife worked at a bakery in the 1970's and she made me a birthday cake, Germany chocolate with extra icing and layers. The best tasting cake I have even eaten. wow

Old 02-13-2008, 01:27 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,400,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abigailnewrob View Post
There is a Christies in Houston on Westheimer near The Galleria - it is the sameas the one from Broadway
Actually it is not, I went in there a few months ago and asked them if they were the same as the old SA location and they told me no. The food is not as good as the Christie's here.

Old 02-13-2008, 03:22 PM

It was called naples - The alamo heights crowd went there - a popular spot on Sunday nights . Greasey and terrible italian food but if you grew up on it - you might miss it for a split second. They opened it up again in the late 90's by the med center and then on broadway near att , it flopped .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio