Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2007, 08:46 PM

43 posts, read 148,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irnag View Post
Texasborn, remember the day the Brackenridge train got robbed? Oh the rampant crime in SA. Also, does anyone know if Dibbles Hobby Store still exists? It was near Jefferson High School if I remember correctly. Also is Randy's Rodeo still there? I think that was Bamdera and Hillcrest.
I did a quick Google on Dibbles to see if it still exits, and... it does. I remember going there when my husband and I first married (were living in Laredo then, and had just moved from Houston) and when we were in SA, which was every other weekend, we/he always went to Dibbles. And, you are right, it was near Jefferson HS. Reference the great train robbery, I don't remember that. Thanks for the Dibbles recollection. It was a nice hobby shop!

Old 01-05-2007, 01:01 AM

305 posts, read 1,612,495 times
Here is a news article about the robbery.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/metro/stories/MYSA060505.2B.thennow_eagle.2e192dc12.html (broken link)

Old 01-18-2007, 06:10 PM

12 posts, read 78,899 times
Default Thank you 940-

This thread brought a smile to my face for the first time in a week at least. For one thing, you and I likely went to Marshall together. Yes, I remember the Midget Mansion. I also miss GW Junior's. ( What ever happened to that incredibly hot girl Julia who worked there in 1984?) ***** hill was on my way home as we lived out on Scenic loop Rd.
Playland Park, Earl Abel's, Jim's on Hillcrest when it was a pretty tony place, Wonderland with Handy Andy, and on and on and on.
Please keep this thread going. It is the only way we will ever connect to these things again.

Old 01-18-2007, 06:21 PM

905 posts, read 2,946,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasborn View Post
Boy... have I gotten hooked on this site/thread. This is the next best thing to being (home) in SA. Been gone 30+ years!

And for those of you lucky enough to still been there and have reminders of the area of "then and now", my memories may not be as clear. But, ... those movie houses! I DO remember them. I remember the MAJESTIC Theatre (it was truly majestic and mystical-I lost a transistor radio there while watching John Wayne's CHISUM; (westerns on THAT screen were captivating!) and the the TEXAS Theatre (saw TO SIR WITH LOVE there). And, the LAUREL Theatre was right across from my JR HIGH (not middle school) Mark Twain and the OLMOS Theatre, and the WOODLAWN Theatre (the SAND PEBBLES). I saw the musical CHICAGO at the MAJESTIC (and took my spouse) when I was in town for business a while ago. So glad to see it was not torn down. I wasn't the same (but, then, it never is, is it?) but glad to see it none the same.

And back to DOWNTOWN SA, does anyone remember FROST BROS Dept Store? I recall there was a magnificent Chistmas display there during this time of year. I remember when going DOWNTOWN was really something. Does anyone recall the Rexall Drugstore on the corner across from the Post Office and the Alamo (circa mid-60's)? Twirling on those seats at the soda fountain (cherry coke please with extra cherry, sir). Walgreens will NEVER compare to Rexall.

And, just briefly, re Playland Park, I DO remember it. I'm old enoungh to remember it before it became delapidated. And, does anyone remember the park right outside of Brackenridge Park? (I LOVED THAT TRAIN!) They had Shetland Ponies there. I remember getting tossed off one (can Shetlands buck? The San Antonio ZOO, Brackenridge Park, that Train and the Small (?) Park. All remain except the Park, right?
I remember the Christmas Display downtown with the little girl playing the piano. Was that at Frost Bros or Wolf and Marx?

Who remembers Fantasyland at Joske's? I loved to go there and see all the little animated displays and ride the train. Remember Santa on the rooftop?

Playland Park was fun -- I used to love to ride the carousel. I remember when they dismantled it and sold of the horses. If I'd had the money back then, I would have bought one. I thought I read in the paper a few years ago that they were trying to restore it.

The Zoo, Brackenridge Park, the Brackenridge Eagle and the Sunken Gardens are all still there. They closed the stables and shut down the horse back riding a few years ago. The skyride is also shut down, has been for many years.

Anyone remember 12 Star Final and the opening film footage with the cars crashing? Or the revolving boards that the weathermen used to use? I remember one would always draw a cartoon at the end of his segment. And who could forget Cap't Gus!

Old 01-18-2007, 06:32 PM
940 940 started this thread

13,791 posts, read 8,125,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catriona View Post
Anyone remember 12 Star Final and the opening film footage with the cars crashing? Or the revolving boards that the weathermen used to use? I remember one would always draw a cartoon at the end of his segment. And who could forget Cap't Gus!
I don't remember the 12 Star Final but I did hear stories about it after we moved to SA in the early 70's. I do remember when channel 4 was WOAI before its later incarnation as KMOL (which I now see has once again reverted back to the old call letters again)! And has Chris Marrou been on channel 5 forever or what? Every time I'm back down for a visit, there he is...heck I remember him from the 70's at KENS.

Old 01-18-2007, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retrocarnation View Post
This thread brought a smile to my face for the first time in a week at least. For one thing, you and I likely went to Marshall together. Yes, I remember the Midget Mansion. I also miss GW Junior's. ( What ever happened to that incredibly hot girl Julia who worked there in 1984?) ***** hill was on my way home as we lived out on Scenic loop Rd.
Playland Park, Earl Abel's, Jim's on Hillcrest when it was a pretty tony place, Wonderland with Handy Andy, and on and on and on.
Please keep this thread going. It is the only way we will ever connect to these things again.
You're welcome Retro! I was going to suggest this thread after responding to your other post but I figured you'd find it eventually. We did go to Marshall together but I was already gone by 1984. I went to many parties out on Scenic Loop Rd during my days at Marshall...got into a lot of trouble too! Do you remember when the Marshall High Marching Band tried to break the Guinness World Record of continuous playing while at the center court of Wonderland Mall in the late 70's? I wasn't in high school yet but I remember they were trying to raise money for their trip to the Rose Bowl Parade as one of the bands/schools invited to march in Pasadena.

And wasn't that Jim's on Hillcrest considered posh then..lol...probably b/c it was directly across from Wonderland and next to a BMW dealership a few years later!

Old 01-18-2007, 08:41 PM

Default Hey 940!

As long as we're bringing the past back to life, and seeing as how you and I were both in marching band- In the immortal words of Mr. James Miculka, "You're mullin'!! It's like you got your duck feet on!!"
-This will only be sensible to JMHS band alumni-

Old 01-18-2007, 08:59 PM

Smile Small world!

I remember Mr Miculka although he wasn't there the entire time I was at MHS. I missed Mr Kuentz when he decided to leave so I was biased when Miculka showed up. So anyway, it seems we were also in marching band together...and at least a couple of years during the same time.
Did you go to the Orlando competition in 82?

Glad you like the thread...please post anything else you can that might bring back memories to many of us on here that enjoy reading this.

Old 01-18-2007, 09:51 PM

940, I came along three years later, so no I didn't go to Orlando.
Anyway,how about more things that are lost forever? Does anyone remember Los Gallos restaurant on the corner of Eckert and Bandera? It and the propane company next door were the only things there in the late 70's. Just down from that, but on the opposite side of Bandera, was the Texas Star Inn. Mom and Pop Klein had the slickest dancehall and restaurant there until Conrad Pierce bought it in about '83 or '84. If you do remember it, you will also miss the Friday night fish fry.
There wasn't much out that way then. For that matter, there wasn't much between 410 and Helotes. Mandry's hardware was between Grissom and Huebner on the west side of Bandera. Just down from that was Bradford's filling station.
Just to illustrate to the newer folks how rural this area was (until recently), Gilbeau Road wasn't paved until about 1982 or so. Anyone remember the big dip right where Gilbeau hits Bandera? You can guess how quiet Braun was all the way to Galm. I have no idea why there was a stop sign at Braun and 1604 at this time. I don't recall ever seeing another car at that intersection.
In Helotes, there was Mrs. Linder's Seafood, which later became the Helotes Cafe. That and Topperwein's were the first businesses you saw going into town. Does anyone remember Charlie dressed up as Pancho Villa on the menu at El Chaparral? How about Charlie and Lucy Brown (no joke) publishing the Helotes Echo? Who else used to have a mail box at the tiny little post office next to the gas station?
I'm sorry, but nostalgia makes me a chatty Cathy.

Old 01-18-2007, 10:47 PM

I actually worked for Charlie at El Chaparral right out of high school. Went back a few years ago and couldn't believe how different the restaurant is now.

I remember Braun Rd between Bandera and 1604...I made that drive every day that school was going on. Only thing out there was the original Braun Station neighborhoods until you got closer to 1604 and then I seem to remember a Knights of Columbus Hall and a baseball field next to a few 100 year old Hill Country farms. There's still part of one of those homes/farms just inside 1604 south of Braun if anyone has spotted it. It looks like it's been fenced off and the surrounding land has been cleared for more development.

Retro, if you haven't been back to SA in more than 10 years, you will be absolutely amazed. You do know that O'Connor High is now the high school for that part of SA instead of JMHS? It's just off Leslie Rd at Bandera. And the homes being built all around Helotes are incredible...and some are very pricey. Bandera at 1604 has so much retail and a Santikos movie theater that you might not recognize the intersection anymore, especially considering how there never used to be civilization until you got closer to Eckhert Rd.

Does anyone remember the old KKYX radio station tower that used to be off Bandera just north of Eckhert? I believe part of that land is now apartments and a Wal Mart Supercenter near what is now Mainland Rd.

Remember the little parade every year for Helotes' Cornyval festival? JMHS band marched in it every year back then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio