Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2007, 06:27 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,430,579 times

Advertisements

Was it the Kramers's on Perrin Bietel? Also anyone remember the old Gallaghers on Walzem-35?

Old 02-05-2007, 07:17 PM

905 posts, read 2,958,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 940 View Post
I remember his name now. It was Logan Stuart. He was also one of the Rey Feo's (ugly king) from Fiesta years ago. Anyone also remember Bruce Hathaway from KTSA?
Logan Stuart! That's right! How could I forget him! I still remember calling into KTSA and requesting songs when Bruce Hathaway was on.

Quote:
Remember PM Magazine on channel 12? Peggy Kokernaut and Mario Bosquez were the anchors. Mario was the cousin of a good friend of mine in high school so he' show up at school doing TV interviews and getting opinions all the time.
Didn't Peggy K go off to do a show in another city?

Quote:
Other names that I remember..Centeno's, Dyer Electronics and Waitz Model Market. My father bought a lot of his hardware and lumber at Handy Dan's.
LOL -- I think my dad used to live at Handy Dan!

Quote:
Remember when the Stowers Building was imploded? How about the old Bluebonnet Hotel when it was imploded? Or when the Fairmont Hotel was moved from one location to another a few blocks away downtown? It was the largest and heaviest move ever at the time.
It was rather weird seeing that big hotel being pulled down the street, wasn't it?

Quote:
I remember driving through the San Antonio River on a bridge that cut through Brackenridge Park. The water wasn't very high but you literally drove through the streaming water on that bridge.
I remember walking across that bridge before they closed it off to any traffic.

Quote:
In the late 70's, a buddy of mine had the new cable television at his house. UA/Columbia Cable and it was a big deal. You had to wait until 5 pm or so for HBO and Showtime to come on the air!
UA/Columbia was such a big deal. Finally we had more than just the local stations. What followed UA/C?? Was it Rogers Cable before it was Paragon?

OH! And do you remember that stupid Paragon commercial with the cowboy singing the telephone number?

Old 02-05-2007, 10:01 PM

305 posts, read 1,617,916 times
Where was Waitz Model Market? I remember it, but can't place where it was. Olmos Park? Broadway? Austin Hwy?

I remember A-Juan Moble Homes out around Valley-Hi. I remember he had a sign with an arrow directing you to go 'Juan-way'.

Old 02-05-2007, 10:51 PM
940 940 started this thread

13,791 posts, read 8,151,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irnag View Post
Where was Waitz Model Market? I remember it, but can't place where it was. Olmos Park? Broadway? Austin Hwy?

I remember A-Juan Moble Homes out around Valley-Hi. I remember he had a sign with an arrow directing you to go 'Juan-way'.
Waitz was over near Sunset Ridge where the EZ's is now, I believe. And I remember A-Juan. When we first moved to SA, we actually lived near the Valley Hi area for about a year. The Valley Hi Mall was a thriving little place at one time. There was a Winn's there and a Handy Andy IIRC.

Catriona, I think Rogers Cable was after UA/Columbia and before Paragon. Can't remember that commercial though.

Remember Joe Fowler from KSAT 12? He always was doing that BOO yell with his little bear. He was a nut and always seemed so hyper. He can now be caught on late night infomercials usually helping to sell some food prep item that no one really needs.

Remember Burgundy Woods? How about KEXL FM?

Old 02-06-2007, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I would kill to have a GW Jr's burger again. I remember when Sonic burgers used to taste different in the late 70's.

I remember a lot more indoor malls, much smaller than the ones mentioned. Some of the Hobby Lobby locations today used to be a Handy Andy with a small indoor mall attached. The 6900 San Pedro shopping center used to be a Handy Andy that opened into a small indoor stip mall along its side. I remember a shoe store and a little cafe or ice cream shop. A drug store was at the end where a Blockbuster video used to be afterwards. Cici's Pizza is there now.

Does anyone remember Shakey's Pizza? I would kill to have one of their beef topping pizzas.
GW Jr's was awesome, would like to try that again. I remember the Handy Andy on San Pedro with the indoor mall, and there was an eckerds in that center. Also at the Colonies the Handy Andy had a mall with a movie theather in there also.

Old 02-06-2007, 09:08 PM

305 posts, read 1,617,916 times
http://imdb.com/name/nm0288738/

Well, Joe Fowler did not have the worst career in the biz. He must have been typecast as a reporter.

And does anyone remember the chicken joint called Marco Pollo?

Old 02-07-2007, 03:42 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,852,714 times
Does anyone remember a health food store on Blanco just outside 410? It was just past Lockhill/Isom on the right. Now there's an Italian restaurant and pizzeria. As a kid I can remember getting fresh vegetable juice drinks there made using juicers, like carrot and celery drinks.

Old 02-07-2007, 11:12 AM
940 940 started this thread

13,791 posts, read 8,151,588 times
Quote:
Does anyone remember a health food store on Blanco just outside 410? It was just past Lockhill/Isom on the right. Now there's an Italian restaurant and pizzeria. As a kid I can remember getting fresh vegetable juice drinks there made using juicers, like carrot and celery drinks.
Wasn't that another location for Sun Harvest? I seem to remember that there were more locations on the north side than just off Callaghan and I-10.

Old 02-07-2007, 11:34 AM

2,649 posts, read 7,436,960 times
There is one still at Naco and 410

Old 02-07-2007, 01:31 PM

Quote:
There was a Sun Harvest at the Corner of Blanco-Lockhill Selma, the place is now a lamp store I believe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio