Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2007, 05:30 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,859,470 times

Advertisements

Whitley Streiber's books are fascinating, even though he is a bit of a nut. Johnny Carson had him on the Tonight Show because he was fascinated by him. Carson basically said, "Look, here is a fine dressed person with glasses who writes novels. If someone like him believes in aliens, there must be something to it." Whatever.

So-called alien abductions are merely distortions of birth memory and imagined birth memory. You can see the elements of that in the film version of Communion. Also in the film Fire in the Sky, supposedly a true story.

Listen to any abductee's story and you will see elements of the human birth experience, in a distorted surrealistic fashion.

Old 02-16-2007, 10:19 AM

159 posts, read 784,873 times
Default The old Drive-ins

Hey Oz good point of view, never heard that angle brought up before. I think its interesting you say that because, in the book The Secret School there is a part where he relives his first steps as a child (meaning he was a baby again) with his adult mind. There is also a part where he is walking down Broadway St headed for The Secret School, and his mind (for lack of a better term) splits so that he is in San Antonio, and also in a past life he had in Rome where he was heading for the for The Secret School as well. Your right Communion and Fire in the Sky are bad movies. They are both extremely watered down. So much more stuff happened in the book Fire in the Sky, I just dont think they had the time. Communion is really way too deep to try to relay that message or feeling in a movie. I just thought Id ask if anyone has heard of this in SA because so much "suppositly" here, glad you replyed. For the record, I have never seen anything UFOish just fasanated with the topic. I know this is a post for old SA, so lets get back to old SA.

I found a web site that has ALL of the listings of the old drive in theaters in SA. The guy goes out to the site to prove they were there. He tells the exact locating (so sites have the wrong address) and let you know if he found anything there. Some of them he has pictures of it then, and a google map view of how it looks now. He also post some of the ads and articles for these theaters as they were in the old news papers.There were about 20-22 in all (I think). Quite a few that were not mentioned here in this post. I was surprised to find that there was one out at Rigsby, but there is nothing there now a good job was done to clear it out. The one I was asking about off of HW90 and Gen McMullin was called the Kelly. Like I said the screen still stands,it was built with thick steel beams (unlike the other screens "woodys")and is not going anywhere. It is now a junk yard, but the restrooms and consessions stands are still there. There is even a little ticket both near the screen by the road. There was also one near Lackland, and one near HW90 and 410 (the guy kept calling 410, HW13...is that what it was before 410?) called Towne Twin. Nothing remains of these sites. He went out to where the Valley Hi drive in was and found the concrete pilliars that once held up the screens and some old poles that held the speakers still lay around there.

Near there close, or more so in the late 70's a lot of these drive-ins showed x-rated movies. Did anyone gout out there to get their freak on??? I bet those were the days, now its all about BluRay, and the Megaplex. Here is a list of the theaters he has, does anyone remember any more???

Alamo - Bandera - El Captain - Circle 81-
El Charro - Fiesta - Fredicksberg - Highland Park-
Judson4 - Kelly - Lackland - Loop 13-
Mission (duh) - Parkair - Rigsby - Roxy-
San Pedro - Starlite - Towne Twin - Trail-
Valley Hi - Varsity

Here is the Kelly
Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part I-screenfront3.jpg

Ad from the Bandera Drive-in.
Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part I-29may1946salight2_small.jpg

Here is Two of the old Fredericksberg know as "Drive-in", and how it looks now
Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part I-old_fredreduced.jpg
Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part I-fred.jpg
Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part I-stripmalllocationhighlighted.jpg

Opening night ad for the San Pedro drive-in.
Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part I-sanpedro300.jpg

The Starlite sign and screen.
Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part I-ticketb.jpg
Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part I-screenleft.jpg

Old 02-16-2007, 10:52 AM

159 posts, read 784,873 times
Default Old jingles

I was just going over some of the old post about the jingles. Im only 33, does anybody remember these....

"KENS TV......Clearly the one!!"

"Its not me its my Agua!" It was an apple soda, and I went to Pease middle school with the girl who said the line. Her name was Kelly, and she was in a few comercials around SA.

"Its tidelly awsome, so come on down to Waterpark USA" Before Splashtown

what real San Antonian could forget

"Im Wokin, Yes indeed, Im talkin, About great Chineese, Im hoping youll bring your family......Hee Hee." Golden Wok.

That lady from the Arrow comercial, Im sure is looooooooooooong gone, deader than Dillenger. I dont she made it back there a 5th time.

also

"Yaaaaaaaaaao...Gun Show!!!" SAXET gun show.

Old 02-16-2007, 04:46 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,859,470 times
"I want beef." "Well I want seafood." "We want chicken." This was a commercial for Maverick Cafe. It used to crack me up. The family sounded so strange.

Regarding abductions...the face mask of the doctors and nurses (delivering a baby) is like the "faces" of typical aliens. There was a scene in Communion where a part of this "mask" was removed from an alien face. It's like Streiber knew, unconsciously.

Old 02-16-2007, 05:08 PM

351 posts, read 1,584,861 times
Hi,

I loved those old drive-ins. I think I went to about half of them (born 1968) I remember wandering off from my parents and seeing "The Exorcist" and being scared silly.
Also saw my first pair of Boobs while they played that movie "Hots" at the San Pedro Drive-in.
I do not how ya'll can remember all of those jingles from so long ago.
VIA,VIA
VIA,VIA.....it's the way to....GO!
That about it for jingles.
crazed chef.

Old 02-16-2007, 06:27 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,432,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsatx View Post
It was a grocery store the last time I pass by there.

The old dairy queen on Babcock-Hillcrest is now a mexican restaraunt.

Old 02-16-2007, 06:32 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,432,346 times
Spaceage great pics, you have anymore?

Old 02-16-2007, 07:07 PM

33 posts, read 82,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catriona View Post
UA/Columbia was such a big deal. Finally we had more than just the local stations. What followed UA/C?? Was it Rogers Cable before it was Paragon?

OH! And do you remember that stupid Paragon commercial with the cowboy singing the telephone number?

It was was UA Columbia/Rogers/Paragon and now Time Warner. I worked for Paragon when the cowboy commercial was running, my buddy and I would work some of our installs together, he looked alot like the guy in the commercial. Some customers would ask me if he was the in fact the guy commercial and I would tell them yes! he was!!......he would get so mad... LOL.

Does anyone remember the house on senic loop road with 3 mailboxes on a pole? On the bottom the pole was mounted on an old toliet that said "junk mail, at the normal height a regular mailbox said "regular mail", then 15 feet or so a third mailbox said "airmail"

Rick

Old 02-16-2007, 08:30 PM

305 posts, read 1,618,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Does anyone remember the KTSA buttons? Back in the mid-70's while KTSA was still a top 40 music station. If you were "caught" wearing a KTSA button pinned to your clothing a radio station rep you would supposedly get amazing prizes that would enable to retire early or something (not really, I'm exaggerating).

They may have been red, white and blue. Unless I'm mixing it up with a bi-centennial thing.
Here is the pic.

Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part I-ktsa.jpg

Anyone remember this one? I got this at the grand opening of the Fredricksburg/Balcones Hts. McDs

Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part I-mcd.jpg

Old 02-16-2007, 11:15 PM

49 posts, read 271,640 times
A page or so back, I asked if anyone remembered the name of the local teen dance show hosted by Bruce Hathaway. I regoogled and found that it wasnt Teen Time, but Swingtime. Just thought I would pass that along.

BTW, Thanks for the welcome! I first moved to SA in 1960, just for the summer while dad was attending crypto school and we moved back after he retired in 1966. I lived in the Valley Hi area at a time when there wasnt a lot else there. I was a freshman when John Jay HS opened its doors for the first time for the 1967/68 school year and was a member of the Class of 71, the first graduating class to have attended all four years at Jay. Our first year, 67-68, we had no senior class. This allowed students from Holmes and Marshall to finish their senior years at their "home" schools rather than transfer to a new school. The alumni from those first three classes, The Original Jay Mustangs, are still a tight knit group all these years later and have a special reunion coming up this July to honor the 40th anniversary of the opening of JJHS. Good Times!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio