Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2007, 06:39 PM
940 940 started this thread

13,791 posts, read 8,152,081 times

Advertisements

I found this picture showing North Star Mall in 1963 with the new addition of Frost Bros.; Joske's is being built in the foreground. If you look across San Pedro to the west, you can see that Central Park Mall hasn't even been started. Once it was finished, it helped to make San Pedro and Loop 410 one of the busiest, if not the busiest intersection in the city.

Old 03-16-2007, 05:11 AM

173 posts, read 617,206 times
Don't know if it was already mentioned but how about The Callaghan Twin Cinema????

Old 03-16-2007, 09:28 AM

4,796 posts, read 15,361,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 940 View Post
I found this picture showing North Star Mall in 1963 with the new addition of Frost Bros.; Joske's is being built in the foreground. If you look across San Pedro to the west, you can see that Central Park Mall hasn't even been started. Once it was finished, it helped to make San Pedro and Loop 410 one of the busiest, if not the busiest intersection in the city.

Wow...where did you find this picture? I'm trying to figure out what that little group of buildings is across from the mall to the South. Isn't that where Stowers is now? And Rector hadn't even been cut through on the other side!
1963? And I got here in 64.....I have vague memories of Central Park Mall being built. Must have been before I came of "shopping" age!

Old 03-16-2007, 09:38 AM

159 posts, read 784,696 times
Quote:
I grew up on the NW side (1969-1988) and now live on the NE side of town.
Here are a few places I remember fondly, but haven't seen mentioned yet:

Christie's seafood restaurant on Broadway
Aunt Julie's restaurants (one on Bandera and one on 281 & Nakoma)
Pre-food court Ingram Park Mall (McDonald's was located by Sears)
Bluebonnet Palace in Selma

The name of the Holmes High hangout near Ingram Mall was Stroud's.

How about Jim's Drive-in on Babcock just outside the loop? I remember you ordered from that line of speakers, then drove up to the window to pick up your food.

La Semana Allegre was fun in the 80's if you didn't mind getting coated with beer! Saw alot of great bands there!
I remember the McDonald's by Sears very well. I use to walk there after school (Holmes) get some fries then wait for the Via right in front of Sears. The Via bus I rode would pick you up right outside the mall. Remeber the movie theater in Ingram...I was hook on a game called "10 yard fight", now its my PS3 and Madden. There was the pizza place across from the theater and an arcade next to it called Aladins Castle. Also, Ingrams famous Chelsie's Street Pub. If you talking about the hangout spot behind Ingram where you can go 4-wheeling......we called that Devil's Den. You may speak of a different place though.

I would go to La Semana too in the early 90's though. I remember I saw Mary J. Bliege when she first got started.....I think it was 93. She came out on stage DRUNK, then she opened her mouth and said........" Hello....I love you Houston ". Needless to say she got a SAN ANTONIO welcome. Half the croud booed and the other laughed, and all threw beer and corn dogs to the stage. Good times.

Share some of your other good NW side memories.

Old 03-16-2007, 05:20 PM

7 posts, read 69,722 times
Default OK Guy/Gals Do You Remember This?

Elvis Presly came to San Antonio for a one performance evening. He was way overweight and couldn't complete any of the songs he sang but he was STILL A LEGEND! I saw that performance and not too long afterwards he died in Memphis. BUT! Here's the real MEMORY LANE experience.
President John F. Kennedy visited San Antonio the day before his trip to DALLAS and his death. I attended John Marshall High School near Leon Valley and they let us out of class a bit early (Right before noon) so we could go to the International Airport and see his arrival. He and Mrs Kennedy passed within 4 ft of myself and two of my friends while in their presidential lemo as they were leaving the airport. They were traveling very slow since people were lined up along the side of the road that leads from the airport to the city. If I remember correctly Mrs Kennedy was on the same side of the vehicle she was on on the day the president was assasinated. I was on her side of the street. I screemed "WE LOVE YOU MR PRESIDENT" and they both looked my way, smiled and waved. I'll always remember that day!

Old 03-16-2007, 08:42 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,431,087 times
Stumbled on this the other day, pretty cool stuff. It's the highways in SA.

http://texhwyman.home.att.net/hist_pics1.htm (broken link)

Old 03-17-2007, 04:58 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,942,704 times
Remember Stop & Go? They were EVERYWHERE and then just disappeared.

Old 03-17-2007, 05:11 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,431,087 times
Yeah they disappeared like 7-11.

Old 03-17-2007, 07:23 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,854,254 times
I really miss Winn's and other dime stores.

Old 03-17-2007, 09:34 PM

87 posts, read 330,473 times
Hubby worked at 'Stop -n- Rob' for almost a year in '94; Diamond Shamrock was in the process of buying them out. I'm not sure why 7-11 left, but I'm assuming it was a similar thing.

I worked at the Winn's on Goliad & Pecan Valley from 88-89, and not long after that they closed. I've read that the company went bankrupt.

Love the pic of NSM!! Does anyone know when they put the boots there? I've forgotten. Does anyone remember when KISS did a marathon broadcast remote in the booth that was in them?

Would anyone be interested in pics of various places? It's amusing that the 'First Mate' sign is still standing; I'm seriously thinking of rescuing it. My job has me traveling all over the city during the week; let me know of any requests.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio