Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2008, 07:41 AM

64 posts, read 431,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1313 View Post
Allena Village is directly at the NW corner of Basse and Blanco (on Blanco). The old bowling alley (I can't recall the name right now.. was it Bowlerama?) was further north (a few blocks) on Blanco at Wiezmann.
I'm a little late, being new to this forum and trying to catch up with thousands of posts. You're correct - the bowling alley in Allena Village was called Bowlerama.

Old 08-26-2008, 10:08 AM

50 posts, read 168,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
The "Mexiteria" Maury Maverick was mayor back late 20' early 30's. He is responsible for the term "Maverick"
I remember Naples.
Before Mexiteria.

"Maverick" as in what John McCain is not(sorry no more politics), comes from Maury Maverick Sr's grandfather, Samuel Maverick, who once lived at the northwest corner of Houston and Alamo. Maury Maverick, Sr. was a New Deal Democrat and mayor in the 30's. Maury, Jr, recently deceased was also a great and honorable man, and yellow dog democrat.

Old 08-26-2008, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel G View Post
Reading through all the different posts brings back great memories. ... During my elementary school years I remember field trips to Butter Krust bakery on Broadway St. At the end of the tour we were given a slice of buttered bread, a ruler, and a pencil....

And I DO remember when Luby's was affordable for the whole family....
I'm starting to wonder if Butter Krust stopped giving out the nice plastic book covers after my class visited the plant in about 1950 or thereabouts - you're the second person to mention just the bread, the pencil, and the ruler. We got nice shiny book covers with the Butter Krust blue and white gingham pattern, that were much better than the covers we made from plain brown paper bags.

And I remember very clearly when my uncle refused to go to Luby's anymore in about 1955 because they raised the price of coffee from a nickel to a quarter. And he carried through on his threat - never again stepped into a Luby's.

Old 08-26-2008, 10:49 AM

Quote:
I remember the Majestic well from many years ago and the Manhatton. But your probably talking more recently and I couldn't help you there.
Satx56, do you mean the Manhattan diner on Houston Street that was so skinny, but very deep? And I think it had two floors. It was always very crowded at lunchtime, but emptied out quickly.

Old 08-26-2008, 11:50 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,805,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DickZ View Post
Satx56, do you mean the Manhattan diner on Houston Street that was so skinny, but very deep? And I think it had two floors. It was always very crowded at lunchtime, but emptied out quickly.
That's the one! It had like a half floor upstairs balcony. I always remembered it being across the street from the Majestic. But, my mother says it was next door. I recall going to movies at the Majestic then to Manhattan. We always sat upstairs. Think dad usually got stuffed crab. The owners of Sea Island once owned Manhattan I believe. Think there are photos of interior of Manhattan. Click on paper clip to the right of this thread on threads list.

Old 08-26-2008, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgepwebster View Post
Before Mexiteria.

"Maverick" as in what John McCain is not(sorry no more politics), comes from Maury Maverick Sr's grandfather, Samuel Maverick, who once lived at the northwest corner of Houston and Alamo. Maury Maverick, Sr. was a New Deal Democrat and mayor in the 30's. Maury, Jr, recently deceased was also a great and honorable man, and yellow dog democrat.
Thanks George , knew it was one of those Maverick's

Old 08-26-2008, 12:02 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,602,005 times
On the theme of long skinny diners, I used to love the Esquire Bar & Grill downtown. The story I heard was that it once was a single building and prohibition forced them to close the bar. Rather than remove the bar (beautiful hand carved fixture), they built a wall down the middle and locked up the barroom half. When prohibition was over they unlocked the door and operated as two different operations with a single name over the two doors.

When the bar started selling food, the wait staff had to go to the basement and cross to the kitchen side upstairs in the grill. In the late 80's/early 90's it went through a series of owners and name changes. Somewhere in the transition one of the owners opened the basement to the river and moved it from a bar and grill to an upscale riverwalk restaurant.

Unfortunately, along the line they lost all of their kitchen staff and recipes. It changed from a great eating hole to a money trap for tourists who have never heard mexican food before landing on the riverwalk.

Old 08-26-2008, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrex62 View Post
On the theme of long skinny diners, I used to love the Esquire Bar & Grill downtown. The story I heard was that it once was a single building and prohibition forced them to close the bar. Rather than remove the bar (beautiful hand carved fixture), they built a wall down the middle and locked up the barroom half. When prohibition was over they unlocked the door and operated as two different operations with a single name over the two doors.

When the bar started selling food, the wait staff had to go to the basement and cross to the kitchen side upstairs in the grill. In the late 80's/early 90's it went through a series of owners and name changes. Somewhere in the transition one of the owners opened the basement to the river and moved it from a bar and grill to an upscale riverwalk restaurant.

Unfortunately, along the line they lost all of their kitchen staff and recipes. It changed from a great eating hole to a money trap for tourists who have never heard mexican food before landing on the riverwalk.
Is that the one behind or to the side of Royalty Coin. I found one sounds the same.

Old 08-26-2008, 12:53 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,362,473 times
Quote:
I think I see where Handy Andy's financial problems began. Check out the V.P. list. Jeez!!!
I was looking at the names.....no personal offense to any of the individuals listed, but what unusual and somewhat humorous sounding group of surnames.

Satx....I think yer on ta sumpin'! LOL!

From post #4229!

Old 08-26-2008, 01:05 PM

Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
854 posts, read 2,544,120 times
I bought my first bike from James Bicycles in 1972 . A Dawes Galaxy and it cost almost two hundred bucks. I bought my most recent bike from James Bicycles in 2005. It is a Diamondback Century and it cost over five hundred bucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio