Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2008, 07:27 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,463,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
Here's a link to the history. It's quite interesting....started out in the military as an MP!

The Red Berry Mansion on the Lake

I remember how my grandparents were against the pari-mutuel horse race stuff. Sounds like they're saying he won his estate in a card game. I heard a bet on a horse landed the estate in another story. Guess the Koa campgrounds has access to his little man made lake? Sounds like our standard politician to me. With gusto!!

Old 08-26-2008, 09:31 PM

Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
854 posts, read 2,527,877 times
I have been riding bikes my whole life. When I started riding there were 24 and 26 inch bikes. I had to learn on 26 inch bikes because--like shoes--we would grow into it. My first bikes were my mom and her sister's bikes. Girl bikes but cool from the fifties. Fat tires and fenders and a back seat you could " pump" a friend on. Thats what they called it. I never thought much about it till now. My first real bike was a Shiwinn and I got it for Christmas. I loved that bike but it got stolen at Wonderland while I was racing slot cars. My dad would take me to the police stolen storage place downtown to see if it would show up. I saw these really cool bikes down there. That is where I saw my very first ten speed racing bike. We went to the police auction and dad bought a three speed bike for nine dollars. It needed a lot of work but we got all the parts at Western Auto. I loved that bike till it got stolen at Wonderland while I was racing slot cars.

Old 08-26-2008, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwangle View Post
I have been riding bikes my whole life. When I started riding there were 24 and 26 inch bikes. I had to learn on 26 inch bikes because--like shoes--we would grow into it. My first bikes were my mom and her sister's bikes. Girl bikes but cool from the fifties. Fat tires and fenders and a back seat you could " pump" a friend on. Thats what they called it. I never thought much about it till now. My first real bike was a Shiwinn and I got it for Christmas. I loved that bike but it got stolen at Wonderland while I was racing slot cars. My dad would take me to the police stolen storage place downtown to see if it would show up. I saw these really cool bikes down there. That is where I saw my very first ten speed racing bike. We went to the police auction and dad bought a three speed bike for nine dollars. It needed a lot of work but we got all the parts at Western Auto. I loved that bike till it got stolen at Wonderland while I was racing slot cars.

Dwangle, I'm detecting some commonality in your two losses. Wonderland and slot car racing. Kidding aside, I've had many bikes stolen. Top of that , they stole my slot cars from the car. The little b@##$#& 's just don't want to buy their own stuff. My oldest boy won a bike from McDonald's when he was about 6. Took it home set it in the backyard gone the next day!

Old 08-26-2008, 10:04 PM

Ok I was helping out during a race. I was a corner marshal. That means you put the car on when they fall off. I looked up and saw some guys leaving the track. They had my tackle box with my cars! I ran over to them and told them this is my stuff. They gave me my box and left. Close call!

Old 08-26-2008, 11:13 PM

I wasn't lucky enough to catch any of the culprits. Corner marshal's should be given a baseball glove to save those axles. Well, glad you retrieved your tackle box.

Where do you fly your planes. Just around your property or a strip?

Old 08-26-2008, 11:30 PM

where we fly is always a good topic. I am flying on my property. Actually I don't have much time to fly at all. There are some guys just down the road who have set up a field and are flying hot two strokes. I love that sound.

Old 08-26-2008, 11:40 PM

There used to be a field or strip at Nelson Gardens Landfill entrance. It's just west of Valley Hi off Medina Base I think. Got a friend near Floresville who started flying a while back. Not sure where he goes.

Old 08-27-2008, 07:38 AM

1,066 posts, read 3,677,745 times
Can we please take the personal conversation offline. Over the past couple of months this thread has been cluttered with lots of just back and forth conversations instead of information, facts, and specific memories about locations around San Antonio. Thanks.

Last edited by Primo; 08-27-2008 at 07:47 AM..

Old 08-27-2008, 08:35 AM

262 posts, read 906,760 times
This past summer I passed by the Esquire bar on Commerce street. It has been closed. The fixtures are still there. Are they going to reopen? It was the cheapest place on the riverwalk to get a cold beer.

Old 08-27-2008, 08:46 AM

1,066 posts, read 3,677,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nix54 View Post
This past summer I passed by the Esquire bar on Commerce street. It has been closed. The fixtures are still there. Are they going to reopen? It was the cheapest place on the riverwalk to get a cold beer.
It has been closed for a few years for remodeling. I was able to gather this info on it.

July 18, 2008
" I finally caught up with Chris Hill, the new owner of the Esquire Tavern, this week.
He expects the Esquire to reopen in four to five months. As for what it will look like?
"All we're doing is cleaning it up a little bit," Hill said. "It will return to its venerable, little old self. We have started cleaning up the bar and trying to get it sort of serviceable and functioning again."
Hill, who owns other property downtown, said he has contacted some of the Esquire's former employees.
"It's going to be like it's been for a long time," he said. "We've found some of the old employees, so we'll be approaching them."
Hill said he is keeping the "same old booths and tiles." As for the vintage wallpaper? "It was so nasty that it came down," he said. I guess you can't win'em all. Pour a little for the wallpaper later.
As for the drinking: The Esquire will keep much of its former drink menu, which means you can still order Lone Stars and cocktails on the cheap. Because beer prices are going up everywhere, Hill said beer will remain cheap relative to most bars. And there are plans to add a kitchen eventually
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio