Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2017, 02:44 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,667,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Fred Lozano, a veteran of San Antonio TV news for close to 40 years, died Wednesday morning at the age of 67.
The news was greeted with tears and accolades by many of his former colleagues.
“He was fighting leukemia for over a year,” said KENS morning newscaster Sarah Forgany, who co-anchored the early news block with Lozano until his retirement in 2012. “But he was a private person, so not many people knew.”
Forgany said she remained close to Lozano after he left KENS, and she was grateful she got to see him one last time on Saturday.
Former San Antonio TV anchorman Fred Lozano dead at 67 - San Antonio Express-News

Got a chance to meet him when I worked for Circuit City (I was part of the team who opened the first store) and he couldnt have been nicer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2017, 02:50 PM

14,637 posts, read 34,874,209 times
He died last year.

Old 02-26-2017, 02:53 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,667,554 times
Well heck lock this up that is what I get for listening to other people and not paying attention to dates.

Old 02-26-2017, 09:11 PM

4,132 posts, read 7,156,537 times
Yeah, it's been awhile.

Old 02-28-2017, 11:41 PM

23,690 posts, read 9,241,735 times
RIP Fred Lozano.

Old 03-05-2017, 06:23 AM

103 posts, read 201,382 times
Fred Lozano was a class act, a serious old-school newsman who told it like it was, and he always held himself and his reporting to the highest standards of journalism.

But people may not know that he was also a really cool guy with a great sense of humor. He loved his work, his family, enjoyed golf and especially music - in fact he was part of a rock band as a young man in the '60s which performed at local venues, and they actually recorded some tracks.

I thought some of you guys who remember him on the air might like to see this video that KENS produced for Fred's retirement party at the station in 2012. It has lots of bloopers and fun stuff from behind the scenes over his 4-decade career, and you get to see the playful side of Fred that you usually didn't see on the air, including his musical talents:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jjqr...ature=youtu.be

RIP Fred

Old 03-05-2017, 09:21 AM

2,721 posts, read 4,360,098 times
Default Are you kidding me Topaz ?

I can still recall the visage of Fred and the intonations of his voice very easily from the San Antonio small screen. Thanks for the post but I don't like to watch videos of the dead for some reason. I think perhaps it is because it is too eerie to reconsider or it is with such regret that I see them onscreen once again.
Someone always re-announces the deaths here of celebrities with a post and I always wonder why?
The great actor Bill Paxton suddenly died last weekend but I will not be shocked over it but once and then let it go.
Particularly because his family desired the utmost privacy, it was announced.

Old 03-05-2017, 01:18 PM

1,361 posts, read 2,256,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
Well heck lock this up that is what I get for listening to other people and not paying attention to dates.
This popped up somewhere, maybe a FB shared post or my SA, a few weeks ago. I remember seeing it and feeling it seemed familiar. I do recall now that it was last year. Strange it's coming up in the news again. I'm sure the same happened to you or whoever shared the news with you. I saw some blurb recently that Bob Denver died (Gilligan) and when I was mentioning it to my husband caught myself and sure enough it was years ago.

Old 03-05-2017, 07:31 PM

56 posts, read 51,399 times
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobcat4 View Post
This popped up somewhere, maybe a FB shared post or my SA, a few weeks ago. I remember seeing it and feeling it seemed familiar. I do recall now that it was last year. Strange it's coming up in the news again. I'm sure the same happened to you or whoever shared the news with you. I saw some blurb recently that Bob Denver died (Gilligan) and when I was mentioning it to my husband caught myself and sure enough it was years ago.

Yes, I saw it too. At the bottom of all Express-News articles on mysantonio.com, there's three columns of links to "Featured stories". One of the links was to the write-up of Fred's passing. His passing was around Feb 24 2016, and the Featured story link was just about exactly one year after. I clicked on the link and read the story - but failed to note the date of the article, and failed to remember he had died last year.
So don't go too hard on the person you listened to, SabersFaninSA.
Former San Antonio TV anchorman Fred Lozano dead at 67 - San Antonio Express-News

Old 03-06-2017, 12:00 AM

6,477 posts, read 7,424,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeTopaz View Post
Fred Lozano was a class act, a serious old-school newsman who told it like it was, and he always held himself and his reporting to the highest standards of journalism.

But people may not know that he was also a really cool guy with a great sense of humor. He loved his work, his family, enjoyed golf and especially music - in fact he was part of a rock band as a young man in the '60s which performed at local venues, and they actually recorded some tracks.

I thought some of you guys who remember him on the air might like to see this video that KENS produced for Fred's retirement party at the station in 2012. It has lots of bloopers and fun stuff from behind the scenes over his 4-decade career, and you get to see the playful side of Fred that you usually didn't see on the air, including his musical talents:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jjqr...ature=youtu.be

RIP Fred
At 0:55 of the above video I recognize Alex Flores, Chris Morrou, Fred Lozano (RIP) and Dan Cook (RIP). When did Kelly Chapman leave KENS? I don't remember her or any of the the others but I probably started watching the news with my parents around 1989 when I was 9 or so.

I remember this intro used to sort of scare me as a kid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkBOJ9s0NkY

OP, Bob Salter also passed a few years ago in case that one pops up on your news feed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio