U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 08:38 AM

454 posts, read 370,644 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerby W-R View Post
It's nice that San Antonio's LGBT community can laugh at themselves. Some
ignorant people may think that all LGBT people always act like this. They often use it in their hate propaganda. I grew up in San Antonio and live in San Francisco. I would never go back for more reasons than I care to share.
I wish the person good luck on her stay in San Antonio.
Actually, the event is not laughing at themselves so much as laughing at the current political and social events - the skits happen to be put on by the LGBT community, but it's about making fun of society as a whole.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2008, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello13685 View Post
Do you think that if that a California university (where the OP is from) would continue to employ a man found guilty of this (much less knowingly hire him after he'd been fired for doing it elsewhere)? It's evidence that sexual harrassment in this local and especially male-dominated culture is not a big enough deal to either prevent it, or adequately punish it when it happens. To make it more laughable, UTSA let him choose his own punishment. He volunteered to cut back his salary 50% and be kept on in a research capacity. Of course we can't get rid of a man for doing this. It's natural!

Anyway, to keep it on topic, again this speaks to what women can expect here. No female posters will chime in I'm sure. We've got to protect our men!

Woman here. As a former academic - UC as well as some private institutions, I can tell you this happens *everywhere*. Sometimes it's hushed up more than others. I am not sure of the motivation of UTSA, and I have some other issues with UTSA's choice of faculty. I do think there's a lack of foresight and a good old boy network - is it reflective of the community at large? I don't think so.

Now I'm beginning to understand you a bit better. You're stuck at a low ranking uni because you're not able to get a better academic position.That explains why you don't leave SA. And of course it's all the fault of the university and the city, not your own capabilities.

Old 03-08-2008, 08:44 AM

634 posts, read 2,704,245 times
Quote:
This is not to say it's just Baptists--most Christian sects are judgmental against homosexuality, unfortunately (as well as any other type of person that Christ actually befriended). Religion is very important in SA.
I am a Baptist Christian and I don't understand why any Christian is again gays/lesbians. The Bible said love thy neighbors and even enemies, so that's what I go by. Not saying homosexuals are enemies, they're normal like anyone else I assume. I also don't get why homosexuals stereotype all straights and Christians as against gays. Look at me, I'm not against them at all.

I am tired of all the fighting and hate because of people's identities. Can't people live life and if they don't like it, shut up? Stop all the religious fighting.

Sorry, I'm done with my little rant now

Old 03-08-2008, 12:12 PM

12 posts, read 38,921 times
Did you see the male lesbian on L Word? He was pretty funny.

Old 03-08-2008, 12:16 PM

7,629 posts, read 14,340,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chakapu View Post
Woman here. As a former academic - UC as well as some private institutions, I can tell you this happens *everywhere*. Sometimes it's hushed up more than others. I am not sure of the motivation of UTSA, and I have some other issues with UTSA's choice of faculty. I do think there's a lack of foresight and a good old boy network - is it reflective of the community at large? I don't think so.

Now I'm beginning to understand you a bit better. You're stuck at a low ranking uni because you're not able to get a better academic position.That explains why you don't leave SA. And of course it's all the fault of the university and the city, not your own capabilities.
THANK YOU!!!! Somebody else sees it for what it REALLY is!!!! Sad...huh?

Old 03-08-2008, 12:50 PM

944 posts, read 2,801,973 times
Chakapu, UTSA is not my main gig (see my profile), and I don't teach there consistently, so I'm not exactly "stuck" there. Do you think that with my attitudes, I would tell readers of this forum what my real career is? But thanks for the diagnosis just the same!

But I have to give you positive rep points because you are dead on with your assessment of UTSA. You totally get it. I do think that women at a CA university would be marching in the quad over such a harrassment scandal. But here they shrug their shoulders and think, "That's our men." The OP is in for it.

Last edited by hello13685; 03-08-2008 at 01:44 PM..

Old 03-08-2008, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Chakapu, UTSA is not my main gig (see my profile), and I don't teach there consistently, so I'm not exactly "stuck" there. Do you think that with my attitudes, I would tell readers of this forum what my real career is? But thanks for the diagnosis just the same!
Oh well, I tried to find a basis for your attitudes and find an excuse for why you persist here despite finding it so loathsome. If you're free to go, why do you not find another position elsewhere? Note, I'm not of the 'love it or leave it' vein. But I don't understand being so totally miserable in a place while making no effort to change one's situation.

Quote:
But I have to give you positive rep points because you are dead on with your assessment of UTSA. You totally get it. I do think that women at a CA university would be marching in the quad over such a harrassment scandal. But here they shrug their shoulders and think, "That's our men." The OP is in for it.
Nope. Wrong again. All depends on the person and the situation. I know of sexual harassment situations that were ignored or tolerated while I was at a UC as well as at a private uni on the east coast.

I don't think people here just shrug their shoulders at it anymore than anywhere else. Some may, many don't. UTSA is nothing like some of the higher tier private universities I've seen when it comes to the old boy network.

As for the OP, she said she was a librarian interested in good library systems. Not sure what that has to do with UTSA - she didn't say she was specifically looking for an academic library situation.

UTSA as an institution does not represent the people of San Antonio, anymore than Oxford represents the people of Oxford, England.

I definitely believe there's an old boy network in this - as well as many other cities. I also think there's a lot of corruption in this city and the political situation is interesting to say the least. I think there are problems, like there are everywhere. But I also don't think that equates to it being a place where lesbians will be ostracized. In general, San Antonio *is* a very live and let live sort of city. It doesn't have just one dominant type.

Old 08-28-2009, 10:19 PM

1 posts, read 1,358 times
New to area and find the lesbian scene more closeted that one would expect. I identify myself as a net-savvy, willing/able to read local zines and periodicals type of girl and I have had trouble finding a lesbian group for the educated, professional, book-reading and/or nature loving types. So please share with me if you can, where to connect with the a-list sapphic ladies. I would truly appreciate the what/where/who/how of it. I found the HRC group and know about the MCC. Is there more?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio