U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2008, 05:23 PM

12 posts, read 39,019 times

Advertisements

I'm a lesbian and a librarian in LA, and I'm trying to move to a place where I could buy a house. I've seen several job announcements for the San Antonio Public Library. If I moved here, would it be easy to find a lesbian social life? I like book groups, wine tasting, indy films, and clubs. Also does anyone know what the library system is like? Thanks
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2008, 05:34 PM

218 posts, read 247,834 times
Are you moving to SA or Houston or Cleveland?

With that said, you might really like Southtown, Lavaca, Monte Vista or Tobin Hill.

Old 03-06-2008, 06:08 PM

944 posts, read 2,806,275 times
Hi Ladylibrarian! I'm not a lesbian, but I have two good lesbian friends in San Antonio (Does that count for anything?). My friends say they are pretty happy here. There are apparently a lot of lesbian couples with kids in San Antonio. On the downside, they say that this is a very closeted culture, that everything is kept under the radar. I think that part of this has to do with their complaint that there is at least one Baptist church in every neighborhood around here! This is not to say it's just Baptists--most Christian sects are judgmental against homosexuality, unfortunately (as well as any other type of person that Christ actually befriended). Religion is very important in SA. The first thing people ask you is what church you go to. But if this is not a problem for you, then maybe SA would be a good place. You could definitely afford a house here more easily, especially if you are partnered.

Old 03-06-2008, 06:44 PM

7,629 posts, read 14,373,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hello13685 View Post
Hi Ladylibrarian! I'm not a lesbian, but I have two good lesbian friends in San Antonio (Does that count for anything?). My friends say they are pretty happy here. There are apparently a lot of lesbian couples with kids in San Antonio. On the downside, they say that this is a very closeted culture, that everything is kept under the radar. I think that part of this has to do with their complaint that there is at least one Baptist church in every neighborhood around here! This is not to say it's just Baptists--most Christian sects are judgmental against homosexuality, unfortunately (as well as any other type of person that Christ actually befriended). Religion is very important in SA. The first thing people ask you is what church you go to. But if this is not a problem for you, then maybe SA would be a good place. You could definitely afford a house here more easily, especially if you are partnered.

Your way off track with this post!!! Interestingly enough, you are an expert on real estate in SA, but choose not to own.
You are an expert on lesbians, but are not one...
and NOW you are an expert on anyone who is CHRISTIAN and automatically assume that we are all prejudice???

Also,how do YOU pass judgement on someone who posts a legitimate question... someone you do not know, ASSUMING that they are NOT a Christian just because of their race or sexual preference???? WHO IS BEING JUDGEMENTAL HERE???? SHAME ON YOU!

To the OP, you will find SA a warm, wonderful place to be despite your sexual, ethnic, religious experiences or preferences.

There is no need to "fly under the radar", and you will find that much of San Antonio is very open and accepting...looking only for good neighbors, regardless of their partner choices.

I think that you will find our beautiful city has much to offer, to include jobs for someone with your profession. Who knows, you might even find a church that you enjoy and want to become a member of.

Old 03-06-2008, 07:40 PM

12 posts, read 39,019 times
I'm looking all over -- basic criteria is a city with a good library system and job openings, affordable housing, and lesbians.

Old 03-06-2008, 07:43 PM

454 posts, read 372,554 times
Definitely a lesbian community. I know plenty who are quite open, some partnered, some not.

As for the library system, it's fairly decent, esp. the downtown branch, but I'm not a librarian so I don't know how it measures up from the inside.

Old 03-06-2008, 08:08 PM

944 posts, read 2,806,275 times
I've never claimed to be an expert on any of those things. I also did not assume that the OP is not a Christian, so I'm not sure how I've passed judgment on anyone. Oh, well... have a nice day?

Old 03-06-2008, 11:14 PM

2,027 posts, read 6,361,513 times
There are numerous lesbian hangouts and such here around UTSA. The neighbors at my apartment are lesbians. It certainly isn't New York, but the lesbian scene does exist in San Antonio.

Old 03-07-2008, 12:16 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,339,034 times
Why must someone always bring up religion... It's a curse.

The OP was simply asking about SA from a lesbian-friendly perspective: She didn't ask if Christ died for your sins or if you believe that the cheap Mogen-David you drink is magically transformed into blood on Sunday morning. Why did we even veer into that old chestnut?

OP: As already stated, San Antonio is a friendly, warm city that's quite easily livable on a variety of levels. I think you'll enjoy the city if being culturally gay isn't your main priority. San Antonians simply exist. I don't feel it as a community that needs to constantly segregate itself.

Maybe it's just me. I'm a comfy kinda guy

BN

Old 03-07-2008, 05:14 AM

3,219 posts, read 8,002,534 times
Yes, I am a male lesbian but kidding aside, yes SA has a large L community, I happen to work with about 4. The L community are very hip and smart
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio