U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2017, 08:56 AM

1 posts, read 1,167 times

Advertisements

Hello, We currently live in 78240 and we have 3 kids in elementary school. We are assigned to Rudder Middle School and want to move before they get to that age. I have not heard the best things, plus this isn't our forever home we want.

We are looking for a 4 bedroom house with some land (.50 - 1 acre). Our price range is $350k - $450k. We were thinking Bulverde or Boerne would be good options. I do work in Castle Hills so I know there will be a drive.

Can I please get opinions on the 2 areas and then also any suggestions that are maybe closer to Castle Hills but still have what we want with land and good schools?

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2017, 03:13 PM

513 posts, read 1,249,324 times
I live in bulverde/spring branch area and enjoy the peace . I hear the schools are pretty decent here .

I know the boerne schools are ranked better then the bulverde area .

You might consider bulverde area 78259 , which is below Evans and east of bulverde Rd.

Old 04-17-2017, 03:34 PM

6,140 posts, read 8,598,808 times
There honestly might be some older houses in Castle Hills that could have that lot size. It's worth a quick search. Otherwise I think you're on the right track. Areas near Crownridge may fit and the schools are great but I don't know the exact price range in that area anymore. Oh. And some of the houses in the Woods of Shavano (78249) have very large lots that if you find the right one could work.

Old 04-17-2017, 05:26 PM

520 posts, read 600,652 times
+1 to Ashbeeigh. I've seen acreage homes available in the NW part of town. I'm assuming these were at one time 'country estate' type developments before the city overtook them. I've even seen a couple listings north of 10 outside 410 with wells and septic.

You may want to take a look out west on Bandera/Culebra/Potranco. We bought in an older acreage development (platted in the 70s) out Potranco - if you look on google maps you'll spot it. Not sure if anything is currently on the market but there are still undeveloped lots that come up for sale here and there and the occasional home in the price range you are looking at, lots range from 2.1 to 5+ acres.

Old 04-17-2017, 08:58 PM

1,365 posts, read 3,968,983 times
Boerne is getting SO overrun with people and transplants from other states that it is a fraction of the small, sleepy, relaxing town it used to be...

There is so much traffic over here now, Hwy 46 is a joke with all the development and backed up traffic and driving on 10 from Boerne into SA in the morning is horrid, and that is without any accidents... Also, there is so much highway construction on 10 and on the access roads since they are being made into one way traffic access roads... According to TxDot the construction is going to take years to complete...

I would take ashbeeigh's advice and look to see if you can find an acreage lot in the Castle Hills area or even in Shavano Park...

Old 04-17-2017, 09:25 PM

6,140 posts, read 8,598,808 times
Quote:

I would take ashbeeigh's advice and look to see if you can find an acreage lot in the Castle Hills area or even in Shavano Park...
Large lot in shave o park may be out of the budget. It outskirts (like WoS ) may have the land.

Old 04-18-2017, 10:34 AM

2,097 posts, read 1,821,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstxcop View Post
Boerne is getting SO overrun with people and transplants from other states that it is a fraction of the small, sleepy, relaxing town it used to be...

There is so much traffic over here now, Hwy 46 is a joke with all the development and backed up traffic and driving on 10 from Boerne into SA in the morning is horrid, and that is without any accidents... Also, there is so much highway construction on 10 and on the access roads since they are being made into one way traffic access roads... According to TxDot the construction is going to take years to complete...

The main projects on I-10 and the frontage roads that are currently in progress, should be completed by 2018. The Boerne Stage Rd to Ralph Fair road project is in the final stages of completion, and the Ralph Fair to Fair Oaks Ranch Pkwy. project is moving right along. The new overpass at Old Fredericksburg Rd. is moving quite quickly. Once this phase is complete, as I understand it, then TXDoT begins the project to add additional lanes to I-10 between Ralph Fair Rd. and 1604.

The separate TXDoT Kendall Extension project at Scenic Loop Rd. seems to be moving at a much slower pace.

46 is a mess, as you stated. So glad that our student graduated from Champion last year, meaning we no longer have to drive through mess as frequently. It will likely get worse before it gets better along 46 with all of the new development going in east of town.

The development projects in town seem to be lightning rods at the moment. Buccee's and 17 Herff being the two big ones people are up in arms about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or