U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2017, 02:08 PM

574 posts, read 1,161,177 times

Advertisements

First time getting my roof replaced and curious how the estimate/quote process works.

Is it normal for a company to not provide a rough estimate/cost breakdown for services until they know what your insurance company has decided to pay?

I've talked to an estimator who seems very nice, and whose company was recommended by a neighbor. I've asked for an estimate of cost, but he says the insurance estimate is what he works from. To me this sounds odd, if not a bit shady. I'd think the company should be able to assess cost regardless of what my claim check is for. Is this typical or am I being paranoid?

If you'd like to recommend a roofer, that would be great too. I'd like to shop around a bit more before settling on a company.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2017, 04:05 PM

6,259 posts, read 8,996,369 times
I've been getting bids as well - and when they tell me that, I send 'em on down the road.

Old 04-19-2017, 04:25 PM

5,619 posts, read 12,951,708 times
The ONLY roofer to ever touch anything I own:
Commercial Roofing in San Antonio, TX

I've known Senior since the 70's and Junior since the 80's. Great folks that stand behind their work. They've been here a long time. That should tell you how good they are considering roofing companies come and go every 5-8 years....and so does any warranty from them. Rolands is here for the long haul. They'll be here when your children need a roof. The grandson is now active in the business too.

Old 04-19-2017, 05:31 PM

2,721 posts, read 3,413,309 times
Default Typically Shady?

The estimator wants you to pass over your entire homeowner's insurance check, without any trouble because the exact amount of the check is by a huge coincidence, exactly how much the replacement roof will cost to replace.

Old 04-19-2017, 05:42 PM

8,777 posts, read 5,620,116 times
I am doing the same.

A couple of the estimators who came out to my house also mentioned insurance. I asked them what it had to do with me getting a quote to replace my roof. Apparently they assumed I was trying to replace a roof that was within 2 years of it's predicted service life under insurance using the theory that hail (sometime in the last few years here in South Carolina) damaged my roof.

I also remember that several of my neighbors replaced their roofs a few years ago and submitted claims to their insurance companies. They were then all shocked when their insurance went up.

Old 04-19-2017, 05:42 PM

574 posts, read 1,161,177 times
Thanks guys...
@huckster, TrapperL, and TexasRedneck & blktoptrvl

I thought it sounded shady. He was so highly recommended and my neighbor said how honest they were. Meh!

Appreciate y'alls input! Will give your rec's a call.

Old 04-19-2017, 10:09 PM

3,141 posts, read 5,165,999 times
There are a couple of different ways an insurance company might settle a claim for roof damage.

If they send an adjuster out, who determines the roof needs to be replaced due to a covered loss, they might just issue a take-it-or-leave-it settlement check, and drive off. Case closed - have a nice day. No point in showing your check to a contractor, if that's all the insurance company is paying, and you accepted that amount (minus your deductible) as a settlement.

Other insurers work up a detailed estimate, with unit pricing for all materials and labor, and cut a check for the depreciated value of the roof. Then they authorize a total maximum "recoverable" amount they will pay for replacement (minus your deductible) after the contractor submits his invoice for his services. If the contractor's final amount is less than what your insurance will authorize, then they will only cover up to what the contractor is billing (again, minus your deductible). But if the contractor bills for more than the insurance total recoverable amount, your insurance won't pay the additional, unless the contractor gets prior authorization from your insurance for the additional amount.

In the second scenario, if you don't share the estimate with your contractor, and he quotes less, you aren't saving yourself anything, but your insurance company will love you! If your contractor bids more, better run it by your insurance first, to make sure they will agree to the additional amount over what they were going to authorize.

Old 04-19-2017, 10:38 PM

6,259 posts, read 8,996,369 times
If they're going to do it for less, then that's great. If it's going to be more, you'll expect the insurance company to step up to the plate - why isn't it a two way street?

Our roof is just getting old. Had two roofing contractors offer to come by an "meet with" the adjuster to try to push for a claim, but at the same time they admitted that it would be a hard sell to get them to agree to it. I see no reason to try to force them to pay a claim that's not legitimate, so we're coughing up the $12k on our own....and yeah - it's gonna hurt!

Old 04-20-2017, 05:04 AM

719 posts, read 500,908 times
I had insurance guy tell me that the numbers he has is going to be low because the tables for material cost was old. So he expects to have to revise numbers at the end. Bottom line is that as far as I'm concerned the money is between the roofer and the insurance company. My deductible is my deductible. So far, I haven't paid a dime. Project starts on Monday.

Old 04-20-2017, 07:48 AM

25,241 posts, read 41,258,261 times
Some other roofing threads in this forum:
Cost for a new roof in SA?
Roof Bids
Are there ANY reliable chimney/roof contractors in SA??
After the rains-need a good & REASONABLE roof repair place
New Roof - Happy with the Job
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or