Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2008, 05:28 PM

3 posts, read 7,218 times

Advertisements

I am a young 20's female moving to San Antonio August 2008 for college. I have only visited the city a couple of times and have mixed feelings about how safe I would be living on my own out there. I will be going to Palo Alto for their Vet Tech program. I drove around the Palo Alto area, and wasnt too impressed. Does any one have any opinions about the areas around town? I dont mind commuting, since Ill be driving back and forth from Austin on the weekends any way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2008, 11:01 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,665,638 times
You might try looking at apartments along SH151 in Westover Hills area (near Sea World). Most of them are new and may be a little pricey, but its a safe area. You can take SH151 to Loop 410 and then head South to Palo Alto College.

Old 03-07-2008, 11:28 PM

378 posts, read 1,441,863 times
I'd go with Steel Man on this cause the South side has developed a bad rep. And I know you Shouldn't always use media as a source. But... the south side has been getting a lot of media attention these couple of weeks I mean a lot.

Old 03-08-2008, 09:11 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,665,638 times
If you're thinking at getting an apartment along Loop 410 (West and Northwest area), I wouldn't. Most of them are older and there have been different crimes at some of those apartment complexes.

Old 03-09-2008, 08:12 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,447,523 times
AS the mom of 5 girls, I was always "worried" about them when they were on their own, young and single.

I think the 151 or 1604 area is better for apts for a single woman. Like a previous poster said, a little newer, and probably just a little more expensive than some of the older areas.

Look for one that has a gated entry. I also had my girls ask if they have police officers that live in the complex (many do and I always felt good about that...if it was such a bad place, figured they would not choose to live there). One of my daughters even was lucky enough to get the apt right across from a policeman. Never really saw much of him, but we both felt better.
Before you sign the lease, walk to the pool/laundry/gym area and see what is going on...the type of folks hanging out there can give you a good/not so good feel about some of the other renters. If you walk into the office and don't see any of the other renters, you only know what they tell you. I always told my girls to go back on a Sat/Sunday if the office was open both days, just to get another prespective...if other renters are having "issues" with repairs/maintenance, that is probably a good time to see them trying to get with the management folks, and gives you a heads up.

Hope this helps!

Old 03-09-2008, 08:58 AM

362 posts, read 1,057,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minxniee View Post
I am a young 20's female moving to San Antonio August 2008 for college. I have only visited the city a couple of times and have mixed feelings about how safe I would be living on my own out there. I will be going to Palo Alto for their Vet Tech program. I drove around the Palo Alto area, and wasnt too impressed. Does any one have any opinions about the areas around town? I dont mind commuting, since Ill be driving back and forth from Austin on the weekends any way.
San Antonio is no different than any other major city. San Antonio has good parts and bad parts of town. You might not see the same kind of griddy areas in Austin as you would in big cities like Houston, S.A. or Dallas. Austin is still sorta a small town. The Palo Alto area is not the worse, but certainly not a good side of town. The closest area would be the Sea World area or maybe even the lackland area. Lot's of military personnel living in the area.

Old 03-09-2008, 02:19 PM

604 posts, read 1,871,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Man View Post
You might try looking at apartments along SH151 in Westover Hills area (near Sea World). Most of them are new and may be a little pricey, but its a safe area. You can take SH151 to Loop 410 and then head South to Palo Alto College.
This guy knows what he's talking about. That's definately a good idea- there's reason you weren't to impresed: the South San area is not a good area. If you were to live in a nice appt on 151, or maybe even 90, it would not be that long of a commute on 410 around to Palo Alto.

Old 03-25-2008, 05:37 PM

3 posts, read 7,218 times
Thank you all so much for your help. I just recently drove around the Sea World area, and yeah, i felt way better about the whole move. Does any one have an oppinion about the North Central/West areas? Thanks Again!

Old 03-25-2008, 05:50 PM

4,147 posts, read 7,999,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minxniee View Post
Thank you all so much for your help. I just recently drove around the Sea World area, and yeah, i felt way better about the whole move. Does any one have an oppinion about the North Central/West areas? Thanks Again!
Can't go wrong those areas except the traffic.

Old 03-25-2008, 09:58 PM

107 posts, read 412,635 times
Try somethingthing around southtown or central in general. You'll have the most austiny (young) feel and your commute to the south side will be very short compared to anything along the north loops. I know it can be hard figuring out this city at first, so let me know if you need help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio