Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2017, 11:14 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,827,375 times

Advertisements

That SHOULD have been addressed at the closing. Call your Realtor and tell them the closing company screwed up and THEY need to fix it ASAP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2017, 11:33 AM

24 posts, read 22,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
That SHOULD have been addressed at the closing. Call your Realtor and tell them the closing company screwed up and THEY need to fix it ASAP.
We discussed it but there was no appraised value for the house at the closing day. So the previous owner only paid tax for the land. Closing company told me once 2017 appraisal comes out it is fixed.
My question is how.
And if the previous owner won't pay, it will be on me?

Old 05-03-2017, 08:19 PM

2 posts, read 1,602 times
Regarding post 13 about raising homestead property taxes more than 10%.

http://www.appraisaldistrictguide.co...d-maximum.html

Old 05-03-2017, 09:54 PM

4,323 posts, read 7,228,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAJH View Post
Regarding post 13 about raising homestead property taxes more than 10%.

Assessed Value Maximum | Texas Appraisal District Guide
Just to be clear, the assessed value of my home (with the Homestead Exemption), has been raised by more than 10% for the last three years in a row. However, due to the Homestead Exemption I am claiming, the increase in taxable value had to be limited to a 10% from one year to the next.

So if my assessed value were to be unchanged next year, I will still have an increase in taxable value as well as taxes, because they will then be catching me up on the previous years assessments that were over the 10% cap.

To give you an example of how this works, I protested the proposed 19% (IIRC) increase in assessed value on my homestead in 2015, which of course was limited to a 10% increase in taxable value. The best I could get was a reduction in the proposed assessment to a 12% increase. Still exceeded the 10% annual increase, so that netted me a $0.00 savings off the proposed tax increase that year for my efforts. In 2016, the assessment was increased over BCAD's initial proposed 2015 assessment, so another 10% cap was hit that year, and then another 10% cap this year. And the amount over the cap keeps piling up from one year to the next.

Old 05-04-2017, 07:15 AM

4,307 posts, read 9,552,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
Just to be clear, the assessed value of my home (with the Homestead Exemption), has been raised by more than 10% for the last three years in a row. However, due to the Homestead Exemption I am claiming, the increase in taxable value had to be limited to a 10% from one year to the next.

So if my assessed value were to be unchanged next year, I will still have an increase in taxable value as well as taxes, because they will then be catching me up on the previous years assessments that were over the 10% cap.

To give you an example of how this works, I protested the proposed 19% (IIRC) increase in assessed value on my homestead in 2015, which of course was limited to a 10% increase in taxable value. The best I could get was a reduction in the proposed assessment to a 12% increase. Still exceeded the 10% annual increase, so that netted me a $0.00 savings off the proposed tax increase that year for my efforts. In 2016, the assessment was increased over BCAD's initial proposed 2015 assessment, so another 10% cap was hit that year, and then another 10% cap this year. And the amount over the cap keeps piling up from one year to the next.

Yup. Initially, we didn't worry too much about the 10% increase as it seemed fair. Until we realized our assessed value had doubled and we'd have a 10% increase forever. Our assessed value has doubled again, but due to renovations they took out the homestead cap and now our taxes doubled as well.

Old 05-04-2017, 07:39 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,827,375 times
Y'all remember all those times you voted for bonds, said what a good idea some neat program was, etc.? Well, guess what - YOU pay for it.....and it's only going to get worse until EVERYONE gets off their duff and demands accountability for the ENTIRE city budget, school budgets - ALL of it. Stop approving ANY bonds until they get the message......

Old 05-04-2017, 08:30 AM

6,705 posts, read 8,771,270 times
The tax increases on homeowners seems to be a result of several things:

1) All the big box retailers and corporations protesting with lawyers, thus shaving off millions (or billions?). BCAD has to make up the loss somewhere.

2) Schools are getting greedy and stand there with their hands out demanding more money.

3) Gotta pay those hefty benefit plans for the firefighters and police. Benefits that most of us never see.

Old 05-04-2017, 09:03 AM

262 posts, read 433,341 times
In line with Azure110's point... Just a guess here, but it looks like the (in some areas, new) strategy of increasing the land value as an indisputable way to raise taxes may be taken as a sign of how desperate the taxing authority has become for revenue. This does not bode well for the future of home ownership in the municipality. These dynamics also reflect desperate measures being taken at the state level as well.

Old 05-04-2017, 11:11 AM

712 posts, read 841,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juststart View Post
We discussed it but there was no appraised value for the house at the closing day. So the previous owner only paid tax for the land. Closing company told me once 2017 appraisal comes out it is fixed.
My question is how.
And if the previous owner won't pay, it will be on me?
Don't worry - you don't have to pay it, they'll just put a tax-lien on the property and auction it off . . .

Seriously though, when was house built? was it completed AFTER Jan 1 2017 ?

Old 05-04-2017, 03:29 PM

24 posts, read 22,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldoak2000 View Post
Don't worry - you don't have to pay it, they'll just put a tax-lien on the property and auction it off . . .

Seriously though, when was house built? was it completed AFTER Jan 1 2017 ?
Based on the record, the house was build 2016 but no it was not complete until the closing date, 2017.
All water, electricity, and gas meters were only installed late February to early March. That means the house was not livable before. On closing date, a guy was still working to fix master bedroom windows.

So I protest? Or ask the previous owner protest or pay it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio