U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2017, 07:08 AM

6,122 posts, read 8,573,855 times

Advertisements

There was a similar discussion about the different between California and Texas in the Austin forum with a poster wanting to get away from the liberal ways of California (even stating they wanted to be able to wear a Trump hat without getting dirty looks). It's now at about 6 pages explaining that Texas isn't as red as one from California would think; which is true. If I remember correctly Obama won in 2008 in Bexar county. We do have second amendment rallies (remember when there were people outside the Alamo with their rifles?) but SA does lean a bit liberal (not as liberal as Austin) and conservative Californians may be disappointed in the more urban areas of the state at how liberal we can be. You may do better being out in the middle of nowhere, Texas, than an urban area like San Antonio, Dallas or Houston. Again, just my two cents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2017, 08:12 AM

5,609 posts, read 6,390,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
There was a similar discussion about the different between California and Texas in the Austin forum with a poster wanting to get away from the liberal ways of California (even stating they wanted to be able to wear a Trump hat without getting dirty looks). It's now at about 6 pages explaining that Texas isn't as red as one from California would think; which is true. If I remember correctly Obama won in 2008 in Bexar county. We do have second amendment rallies (remember when there were people outside the Alamo with their rifles?) but SA does lean a bit liberal (not as liberal as Austin) and conservative Californians may be disappointed in the more urban areas of the state at how liberal we can be. You may do better being out in the middle of nowhere, Texas, than an urban area like San Antonio, Dallas or Houston. Again, just my two cents.
Thing is...in the city proper you can't just go out of your back door, blast off a few rounds to get your rocks off and go back inside. Out in the country, it is a completely different situation though. As the countryside gets smaller and smaller...the thinking of gun ownership changes too.

Old 05-05-2017, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
Thing is...in the city proper you can't just go out of your back door, blast off a few rounds to get your rocks off and go back inside. Out in the country, it is a completely different situation though. As the countryside gets smaller and smaller...the thinking of gun ownership changes too.
And that's what it sounds like OP is looking for.

Old 05-05-2017, 11:18 AM

7 posts, read 6,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
And that's what it sounds like OP is looking for.
No that is not what i am looking for. What bothers me is that they are passing laws that are restricting my rights given to me by the 2A. Like others have said here in California it is getting harder and harder for honest citizens to obtain guns while the criminal elements keep getting them. All gun laws do is keep honest people from getting guns. Look at Chicago as an example. They have the most restrictive gun laws in the country yet they have the most gun violence. Gun laws are not the only thing that is driving me out of California as i had mentioned before. I know Texas is not the wild west like some think it is. Most all urban areas in the country are leaning liberal but in Texas it is not as bad as California. At least in Texas i wont have to wait 10 days after i pay for a new gun to take it home.

I am a responsible gun owner as my guns are locked in a safe at all times unless we go out shooting. The new ammo law will drive the cost of shooting up because you will need to add in the cost of getting the background check along with the hike of cost of ammo because of the lack of competition from internet sales. This is just another way that California is using trying to drive gun owners away from shooting.

Old 05-05-2017, 11:22 AM

513 posts, read 1,247,783 times
You'll find liberal nuts all over this country, you won't be able to get away from that . There are great reasons to live here. It's once of the few cities to live , that doesn't necessarily feel like living in a city . Areas I'll point you to will be on the west side ,the north west and the north side . New braunfels and boerne . All this will depend on where you can find work.

Old 05-05-2017, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netspyman View Post

I am a responsible gun owner as my guns are locked in a safe at all times unless we go out shooting. The new ammo law will drive the cost of shooting up because you will need to add in the cost of getting the background check along with the hike of cost of ammo because of the lack of competition from internet sales. This is just another way that California is using trying to drive gun owners away from shooting.
Cool. I still think looking out in the country would be a viable option for you, though.

Old 05-05-2017, 01:54 PM

5,609 posts, read 6,390,940 times
Quote:
No that is not what i am looking for. What bothers me is that they are passing laws that are restricting my rights given to me by the 2A. Like others have said here in California it is getting harder and harder for honest citizens to obtain guns while the criminal elements keep getting them. All gun laws do is keep honest people from getting guns. Look at Chicago as an example. They have the most restrictive gun laws in the country yet they have the most gun violence. Gun laws are not the only thing that is driving me out of California as i had mentioned before. I know Texas is not the wild west like some think it is. Most all urban areas in the country are leaning liberal but in Texas it is not as bad as California. At least in Texas i wont have to wait 10 days after i pay for a new gun to take it home.

Using Chicago as an example is poor because Chicago is infested with people owning guns that shouldn't have them in the first place ( legally and illegally)...thus makes the responsible gun owners feel more justified that they need their own guns to protect themselves in Chicago.

Old 05-05-2017, 04:34 PM

6,998 posts, read 10,217,960 times
I'm a gun owner, but people read what they want to read in the 2nd amendment, not what's actually there. It's been intentionally misinterpreted. Hardly anyone who owns a gun in this country has the training to be in a well-regulated militia. If you want to look for your right to own a gun without any training, then look to the 9th amendment.

All of the largest counties in Texas voted for Clinton except for Tarrant County. You might fit in more in Fort Worth if you want to live in a big city.

Old 05-05-2017, 06:41 PM

11,389 posts, read 3,102,337 times
Quote:

You might like my county, Montgomery County. Montgomery County is the 11th most populous county in Texas. We are just north of Houston....for the most part (a very small portion of Houston (almost all of the city is in Harris County) is in Montgomery County). In 2010 The Daily Caller labeled Montgomery County the 3rd most conservative county in the U.S. (with Williamson County, TN (suburban Nashville) at #1 and Gwinnett County, GA ('suburban Atlanta') at #2). It is moving away from that a bit, but it is still one of the most heavily Republican counties in Texas...Trump got 73.0 % of the vote in the 2016 election.

I live in The Woodlands, which is along the southern border of Montgomery County, and now spills over to the south into Harris County. Except for Harper's Preserve, I-45 serves as the eastern border of The Woodlands. Re work for your wife, there used to be 3 hospitals along I-45 in the center to north portion of The Woodlands... Memorial Hermann - The Woodlands, CHI St. Luke's - Lakeside Hospital, and CHI St. Luke's - The Woodlands Hospital. Two new hospitals in that specific area will bring that total to five by the Fall of 2017. Just south of CHI St. Lukes - Lakeside Hospital....Texas Children's Hospital - The Woodlands just opened. Across I-45 from CHI St. Lukes - The Woodlands Hospital, the new Houston Methodist The Woodlands Hospital will open this Fall. The Conroe Regional Medical Center is a few miles north of those 5 hospitals, and directly south of Spring Creek (the Harris County/Montgomery County border is 'in' the creek) in Springwoods Village (where the new North American HQ of Exxon campus is located) there is another new CHI St. Luke's hospital.

A 'feature' of the 'downtown' part of The Woodlands is The Woodlands Waterway. It is my understanding that the San Antonio River Walk 'inspired' the development of The Woodlands Waterway. Perhaps others can chime in more accurately re the '2A environment' in Montgomery County, but I've never heard anyone say they feel oppressed re 2A rights.

I'm a 5th generation native Californian, and the 'slowly creeping nanny state' environment there (my opinion) leaves me SMH.

Old 05-05-2017, 08:53 PM

4,268 posts, read 8,347,425 times
Why San Antonio?
As others have said, though Texas is conservative, San Antonio tends to be quite liberal and increasingly moreso. I'd probably steer clear of any urban centers, if you're looking for like-minded folks, with the exception of Tarrant County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio