Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2017, 12:27 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,400,091 times

Advertisements

Former Mayor Castro to endorse Ron Nirenberg - San Antonio Express-News

This should galvanize support for Taylor in Districts 9 & 10 both having runoffs of their own for City Council.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2017, 02:50 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,017,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilGar View Post
Former Mayor Castro to endorse Ron Nirenberg - San Antonio Express-News

This should galvanize support for Taylor in Districts 9 & 10 both having runoffs of their own for City Council.

I'm not convinced that the support for Ivy is so deep in those districts. IIRC, didn't Castro win the popular vote in D9 and D10, every time he ran for mayor against someone other than Phil Hardberger?

Old 05-13-2017, 03:22 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,832,082 times
I see it as a kiss of death. Anybody Castro endorses has to be an equal to Castro- an absolute crook, liar, thief, scumbag......do I need to go on? I didn't think so. Ivy be my lady. At least in her years as mayor there hasn't been a lot of BS that she's tried to cram down the taxpayers throat just to funnel money to her buds. Castro need to be cellmates with Hildabeast.

Old 05-13-2017, 04:10 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,532,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
I see it as a kiss of death. Anybody Castro endorses has to be an equal to Castro- an absolute crook, liar, thief, scumbag......
Those are pretty serious allegations. Scumbag is an opinion, but do you have specific evidence of his being a thief (which if valid, would indeed make him a crook)? And if so, have you brought this to the attention of the authorities? To my knowledge he's never been formally accused of any wrong doing.

Old 05-13-2017, 04:54 PM

6,691 posts, read 8,736,204 times
I was a Castro fan but not anymore. Still don't regret voting for Nirenberg though.

Old 05-13-2017, 07:32 PM

4,308 posts, read 7,192,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
I'm not convinced that the support for Ivy is so deep in those districts. IIRC, didn't Castro win the popular vote in D9 and D10, every time he ran for mayor against someone other than Phil Hardberger?
Probably yes, although I know in the 2013 race, Castro received less than 50% of the mayoral vote in Districts 9 & 10. Castro had no formidable opponents that year, when he won 67% of the vote citywide.

The two times Castro was in a competitive mayoral race were 2005, when he was defeated by Phil Hardberger for the open seat, then the open seat he won in 2009, when the only other competitive candidate was Trish DeBerry-Mejia.

Old 05-13-2017, 09:08 PM

3,163 posts, read 1,713,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
Probably yes, although I know in the 2013 race, Castro received less than 50% of the mayoral vote in Districts 9 & 10. Castro had no formidable opponents that year, when he won 67% of the vote citywide.

The two times Castro was in a competitive mayoral race were 2005, when he was defeated by Phil Hardberger for the open seat, then the open seat he won in 2009, when the only other competitive candidate was Trish DeBerry-Mejia.
I liked Castro's social positions, but I sure hated his taxpayer-funded programs like free pre-k (for SOME anyway). Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't they also raise the garbage bin fees, hotel and rental car tax in addition to all of the bond programs. I still say that Taylor is a hard core word that rhymes with "witch", like Barbara Bush used to say.

Old 05-14-2017, 07:56 AM

2,721 posts, read 4,374,242 times
Default Taxation on Hotels and Car rentals in S.A.,

The State of Florida charges an additional 7% resort tax in addition to the 6% sales tax for a total
of 13% tax on lodging there.
It happens. Taxes must be raised. Taxes will be raised to upgrade the country's infrastructure ,
it is a mess right now. Dams are aged and becoming dangerous as are roads and bridges. A highway "Trust" fund must be re-established and then let alone and not used to pay for another war or something else stupid. The federal gasoline tax has not been raised since 1993, it is time and the country is way behind on this necessity. Trumpus, despite all his good intentions cannot fund a trillion dollar infrastructure bill out of thin air. Texas has a very good road structure thanks to our great weather , the roads weather very well.

Social Security also needs a "Trust" fund that can not be pilfered, these monies must be taken out of the General Fund so as to stop giving it away to people other than those who paid for it, the citizens... Then S.S. will be alright for generations to come... If congress will stop taking the money out of it to spend on other "interests".
LBJ began the robbing of the S.S Trust fund to help fund the Viet Namese War and it has never stopped since.
That is why it, S.S. is so underfunded. Let Congress claim that the fund is broke and then truly explain where the money went. Taxes paid toward S.S. are being funneled off.

"Hopeless Causes are the only ones worth fighting for." Hopelesscause.
A great movie quote from a very naive U.S. Senator from the film classic "Mr. Smith goes to Washington". This film angered Congress with Jimmy Stewart for a some time. It is true however.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopelesscause View Post
I liked Castro's social positions, but I sure hated his taxpayer-funded programs like free pre-k (for SOME anyway). Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't they also raise the garbage bin fees, hotel and rental car tax in addition to all of the bond programs. I still say that Taylor is a hard core word that rhymes with "witch", like Barbara Bush used to say.

Old 05-16-2017, 10:09 AM

5,717 posts, read 18,832,082 times
Quote:
hated his taxpayer-funded programs like free pre-k (for SOME anyway)
You mean the same program that is funded thru taxes via the State of Texas? Yes, you are paying twice for this but the difference is that Castros cronies are pocketing the money. I call that theft. And for those that would like to defend this scumbag, the wife is in education administration, yes, you are paying twice for the same thing.

Old 05-16-2017, 12:29 PM

9,843 posts, read 13,629,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
You mean the same program that is funded thru taxes via the State of Texas? Yes, you are paying twice for this but the difference is that Castros cronies are pocketing the money. I call that theft. And for those that would like to defend this scumbag, the wife is in education administration, yes, you are paying twice for the same thing.
Source?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio