U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-30-2010, 10:44 AM
 
Location: San Antonio
2,260 posts, read 4,951,040 times
Reputation: 1490

Advertisements

Hold up! I thought crime didn't happen outside of loop 410!

Sorry, that was rude. It doesn't surprise me about the smash-and-grabs - any time you leave valuables in plain site, regardless of where your car is parked, you're asking for trouble.

ETA: OLD THREAD! Yikes!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-30-2010, 12:35 PM
 
Location: San Antonio, TX, USA
5,142 posts, read 11,471,510 times
Reputation: 2505
Lesson of the thread: Don't leave laptops in your car even for a split second or laptop looking bags in plain slight or putting them in your trunk in plain sight!
Co Worker lives near 10/De Zavala and had his laptop stolen from his SUV when he put his laptop bag in the car and went back in to the house to get his baby. In a matter of a few minutes, the window was broken and laptop gone. The laptop was for work so you can assume he got in trouble. Now our supervisors have us sign out for electronic or large priced equipment at work. oyyy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2010, 01:42 PM
 
2 posts, read 4,763 times
Reputation: 10
WELL I am not from San Antonio but did come to go to Sea world.. We had alaptop in our vehichle not in plain sight very tinted windows & in a black bag against black interior... we never took it out or moved it but stopped off at a fast food place to grab something to eat the line was long so we dicided to run in.. when we pulled up there was a guy on his cell phone sure that was to throw us off... anyway 10 min later we walked back out to a smashed window & no laptop however they didnt terry cause I had a camera, video caera, money, gps, baby monitor all in there but nothing else was taken.... this was off 410 on the sw side across from the mall over there or the babies are us... I know I will never see my laptop but please if you are traveling to this area becareful the police told me I was their 4th call that night agound 8:30..... by the way to the thieves I still have the battery to my laptop.. kinda worthless to you now hu?????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2010, 01:55 PM
 
Location: SoCal-So Proud!
4,263 posts, read 9,711,662 times
Reputation: 1546
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvtorodeo View Post
WELL I am not from San Antonio but did come to go to Sea world.. We had alaptop in our vehichle not in plain sight very tinted windows & in a black bag against black interior... we never took it out or moved it but stopped off at a fast food place to grab something to eat the line was long so we dicided to run in.. when we pulled up there was a guy on his cell phone sure that was to throw us off... anyway 10 min later we walked back out to a smashed window & no laptop however they didnt terry cause I had a camera, video caera, money, gps, baby monitor all in there but nothing else was taken.... this was off 410 on the sw side across from the mall over there or the babies are us... I know I will never see my laptop but please if you are traveling to this area becareful the police told me I was their 4th call that night agound 8:30..... by the way to the thieves I still have the battery to my laptop.. kinda worthless to you now hu?????
No..they bought a cheap battery off E-bay,wiped and resold the laptop by now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2010, 02:10 PM
 
Location: Charleston, SC
5,615 posts, read 12,826,401 times
Reputation: 2534
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvtorodeo View Post
They ARE still there...
Was this near the intersection of 410 and 1604 by the 1604 Paesano's location? I've had problems around there - mostly finding the place!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2010, 07:19 AM
 
Location: Say-Town! Texas
968 posts, read 2,192,337 times
Reputation: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
Was this near the intersection of 410 and 1604 by the 1604 Paesano's location? I've had problems around there - mostly finding the place!
410 and 1604 intersection...now that would be a legendary intersection!

yeah i have to get off the highway at lockhill selma just after 10 and follow the access road to "paesanos parkway" then i skid into the street narrowly missing cars, almost hit the tree that jumps out at me. and then i arrive in one piece ready to eat.

i also keep my car empty and clean and nothing in view, and i got a parcel shelf to hide the area in the hatch.

my question is why don't these places have rent-a-cops?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2010, 11:10 AM
 
Location: San Antonio-Westover Hills
6,878 posts, read 18,211,587 times
Reputation: 5152
I think I am very glad I drive a 12 year old SUV with 2 carseats in it. It must scream "no budget for high-end electronics".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2010, 11:15 AM
Status: "Amused by Blue" (set 8 days ago)
 
14,626 posts, read 31,210,098 times
Reputation: 6682
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
I think I am very glad I drive a 12 year old SUV with 2 carseats in it. It must scream "no budget for high-end electronics".
My neighbor (70-something years old) drives a 90's model Jeep Cherokee...one night last week someone broke into her Jeep, got a hold of her garage door opener, got in the house while she was asleep (she takes Ambien to sleep at night) and rooted around in all her stuff. Poor thing (or maybe good thing) she slept right through it.

I didn't get to actually speak to her so not sure if they even took anything, but they wanted her Jeep....couldn't get it running I guess and it was found the next morning in the middle of the street in front of her house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2010, 12:10 PM
 
Location: San Antonio-Westover Hills
6,878 posts, read 18,211,587 times
Reputation: 5152
Well, I really just mean for smash-n-grabs like what they're talking about with restaurants, parking lots, etc...I guess my car isn't that sweet a target for the average criminal. Of course that doesn't mean it can't or won't happen. I would just think criminals would see more dollar sign potential inside a late-model or higher-end vehicle. It sounds like your neighbor's criminals were targeting the garage door opener to get inside the home, that is, unless the garage door opener wasn't in plain view. Poor lady! How scary.

The bummer is, the ol' Trooper is going to be traded in next year. We've loved her dearly!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2010, 02:42 PM
 
Location: Charleston, SC
5,615 posts, read 12,826,401 times
Reputation: 2534
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orincarnia View Post
410 and 1604 intersection...now that would be a legendary intersection!

yeah i have to get off the highway at lockhill selma just after 10 and follow the access road to "paesanos parkway" then i skid into the street narrowly missing cars, almost hit the tree that jumps out at me. and then i arrive in one piece ready to eat.

i also keep my car empty and clean and nothing in view, and i got a parcel shelf to hide the area in the hatch.

my question is why don't these places have rent-a-cops?
I have no idea where that is... but that's ok. About the rent-a-cop thing, I'm not sure what good they really are. We made national news up here not long ago because of a fight in the downtown transit tunnel and all the security people are able to do (because of their own internal procedures) is radio their office where someone will call 911. They can't carry anything - no guns, pepper spray, big sticks, or handcuffs. And they can't physically touch anyone.

Quality surveillance cameras + a police department that will follow up with the evidence would really help IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top