U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 07:45 PM

14,628 posts, read 31,226,142 times

Advertisements

Just letting you know--we are supposed to go there with friends in a couple of weeks, so we'll make sure not to leave anything in the car.

Restaurant Fights Back Against Car Break-ins | WOAI.COM: San Antonio News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2008, 07:48 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,823 posts, read 33,226,435 times
I saw this story on KENS, too. Apparently that restaurant is under the jurisdiction of the Shavano Park PD and the people who have been victimized are unhappy with the police work being done there. Given the number of local movers and shakers whom I've heard dine there, I'm not surprised that this restaurant's parking lot is lucrative pickings for smash and grab thieves.

It's probably some of the same thieves who do smash-and-grabs in the restaurant parking lots along 410, but it is just perceived as a horrible crime wave when it happens in bellicose Shavano Park.

Old 03-09-2008, 12:24 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,341,473 times
Paesano's owner, Joe Cosniac, has always been a guy who knows how to get things done. I'm sure the problem will subside and that the appropriate PD will get off their asses. There's no excuse for this kind of behavior on the part of a very well-funded (by taxpayers no less) police department.

BN

Old 03-10-2008, 04:08 PM

14 posts, read 38,447 times
Hey, thanks for the timely tip as I did not see the news story. Going there tonight.

Old 03-11-2008, 10:36 AM
cjw

125 posts, read 427,430 times
We frequent the Paesano's on Basse and haven't had problems there BUT across the street at the Methodist Church is a different story. Attended a funeral there after Thanksgiving and at least 3 cars were broken into during the short service. I found that shocking. Afterward (of course) I noticed signs at the entrance to the parking lot advising you to lock your cars and they aren't responsible for stolen objects (or something to that effect). It made me think they should add the price of a policeman or security guard to their services to protect the parking lot.

Old 03-11-2008, 10:48 PM

152 posts, read 616,277 times
This probably explains the 2 cop cars and the cop inside talking to the manager when we went there. I guess somebodies car was broken into.

Old 03-12-2008, 10:45 AM
Owl

112 posts, read 508,474 times
It isn't only Paesano's. My son recently dined at Reggiano's Restaurant at Stone Oak and 1604, and his SUV had its back window smashed in, and his computer bag stolen. His car was parked under lights, too! Ironically, he didn't have his computer in the bag--only reading glasses and a checkbook.

More irony: on the way home after the smash and grab, he saw a squad car parked by the sushi restaurant next to Costco on 1604, and he stopped to make a police report. The officer was doing a report on another smash and grab there.

But...more irony! When my son returned to work on Monday, he left his office for a meeting, and returned to find the stolen computer bag on his desk--along with his checkbook and his glasses.

The man who returned them to my son said that when he was leaving the sushi restaurant, he found the computer bag underneath his car, did some research, found my son's place of employment.

So the crooks went from one restaurant to the next that night, weren't interested in the checkbook, but seem to be after computers.

And how nice that there are some good guys out there, who'll go the distance to return property.

Old 04-06-2008, 08:40 PM

1 posts, read 4,902 times
Default What does the Thief do with my laptop?

"It's probably some of the same thieves who do smash-and-grabs in the restaurant parking lots along 410, but it is just perceived as a horrible crime wave when it happens in bellicose Shavano Park."

Well the thieves are back. I had my tech bag stolen out of my rental car while at the Final Four NCAA Basketball tournament in San Antonio on 4/5. We were at Pepe's Restaurante on N.W. Loop and it happened between 9:00PM and 9:23PM. I know because of the timestamp on my restaurant bill. Lost (password protected) laptop computers and my travel survior gear like my Video Ipod, Sure headphones... digital camera, SD cards.. You feel my pain. I may get some of the monitary value back, and I backed my files up 7 months ago so I am not out at a complete 0.

Question: What happens to laptop computers that were stolen? What do thieves do with stolen laptops?

I would think they sell them cheap to a pawn shop real quick. The pawn shop, if smart enough, would wipe the hard drive and start over.

Or do you think there is a backdoor into logging in and the San Antonio criminal is smart enough to know how to crack it?

Old 04-06-2008, 09:03 PM

3,060 posts, read 6,744,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptKickA View Post
"It's probably some of the same thieves who do smash-and-grabs in the restaurant parking lots along 410, but it is just perceived as a horrible crime wave when it happens in bellicose Shavano Park."

Well the thieves are back. I had my tech bag stolen out of my rental car while at the Final Four NCAA Basketball tournament in San Antonio on 4/5. We were at Pepe's Restaurante on N.W. Loop and it happened between 9:00PM and 9:23PM. I know because of the timestamp on my restaurant bill. Lost (password protected) laptop computers and my travel survior gear like my Video Ipod, Sure headphones... digital camera, SD cards.. You feel my pain. I may get some of the monitary value back, and I backed my files up 7 months ago so I am not out at a complete 0.

Question: What happens to laptop computers that were stolen? What do thieves do with stolen laptops?

I would think they sell them cheap to a pawn shop real quick. The pawn shop, if smart enough, would wipe the hard drive and start over.

Or do you think there is a backdoor into logging in and the San Antonio criminal is smart enough to know how to crack it?
They're fenced. Pawn shops aren't the answer for computer equipment that has a trail. (hard drives, etc - monitors and peripherals are fair game). There's always someone that knows enough to wipe that pc. Although, if the pawn shop owner is a loser too, they will probably accept the laptop.

And there is always, always, a way into a computer. ALWAYS! But, your average thief isn't going to mess with it.

Old 03-30-2010, 09:11 AM

2 posts, read 4,766 times
They ARE still there.. this past weekend we were there at a fast food chain ran in grabbed food came out less than 15 min to a broke window no laptop.. our laptop was not just out in the open... I know I will never see my laptop again but I so wish these people would be caught..... I was off 410 around the mall.... please be careful....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio