U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 01:56 PM

136 posts, read 490,736 times

Advertisements

Looks like our choice for relocation is settling on San Antonio. My husband and I really want to choose the right place, a place where we can set down roots and stay the rest of our lives (we're both tired of moving). Would the locals mind listing the pros and cons of living in San Antonio? Things like entertainment, smog, traffic, lifestyle, friendliness, home insurance, food, weather, things we may never have thought of, etc. I know a lot of this is subjective, but it would be really helpful to see the opinions of others. Please be incredibly HONEST. We plan on making a trip early next month to check it out ourselves, but there's only so much you can tell from a short visit. I really really appreciate any info you can give us. I've been looking through a lot of the threads here, and it seems like you are a wonderful group.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2008, 03:23 PM

604 posts, read 1,671,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildmaven View Post
Things like entertainment, smog, traffic, lifestyle, friendliness, home insurance, food, weather, things we may never have thought of, etc.
Entertainment: aside from 2 Theme Parks (Six Flags: Fiesta Texas!, and Sea World), a minor water park (Splash Town), and a major water park near by (Schliterbahn- Six Flags also has a water park, which is no extra cost), there is much to do in SA as far as parks, museums, night clubs, malls, historic attractions, a zoo, and everyones favorite: downtown and "El Paseo Del Rio" -better known as the Riverwalk! Also downtown is The Tower of Americas, which is a 750 tower that overlooks the city and has an observation deck and a rotating restaurant, Market Square and South Alamo Street which are both home to many wonderful stores and restaurant and where S Alamo hosts "First Friday" every month which is where local artist come downtown to display their art and more, and the Alamo itself, right in the heart of the city.

Weather, traffic, and smog: this happens to be my particular field of interest! (I'm a meteorology major at one of the local universities). San Antonio is generally considered "Sub-Tropical", which essentially means this: expect a 6 month summer and mild winters! By the time April rolls around, it's already in the 80's, sunny, and humid. It's generally wet during Apr, May, and Jun, and then high pressure sits in and we dry out. Jul-Oct is usually very dry and Jul-early Sept highs are most always well into the 90's, where some days we'll even hit 3digits. Come November, it will finally start to cool down, and usually around Christmas time, we'll get our first taste of winter, although: I'm sad to say that it hasn't snowed here since 1985 (although, it's gotten quite close many times, especially in the past few years). During the Winter/Spring time, highs range between the 40's and 60's (and yes it does go back and forth frequently, which is why many people get sick during this time). As far as smog, we never really have much of a problem with it. The only time I've really noticed somewhat of a smog issue is during those hot dry months I described above (Jul and Aug usually). Since we generally sit under that high pressure and it's hot during these months, the atmosphere becomes stable and the fumes from cars have nowhere to go- but even then, the pollution problem here is minimal, especially compared to most other major cities.

-Traffic- San Antonio is blessed to have a very comprehensive freeway system (which is the pro), but we are far from perfect and because of it there are many construction projects around the city (which would be the con). To us, it seems as though the whole city is under construction! But that is because much of our freeway system is being upgraded due to the explosion of population we've had in the past few decade, and MOST of these projects will be complete within the next 2 years (which is nice, because a few of these projects have been going on for 3-5 years, and in some cases 8-10 years!). As far as rush "hour" goes, compared to other cities, I don't think we're as bad, but I would still avoid it if I can. Roads to avoid- 1604, and parts of 35 and 281.

-1604 is the outer loop around the city, and on the north side of the city it is a freeway. The problem? There has been a TREMENDOUS amount of growth along and outside this northern arc, and the road is still only a 4 lane freeway, with no real interchanges at intersections with other freeways. They are doing something about this- they are upgrading the road to 8 lanes by paving 4 toll lanes down the median of the road and building full directional stack interchanges at 151, I-10 (NW), US 281, I-35, and I-10 (East), but construction (on the west side) doesn't start till 2009, and completion (on the east side) might not be finished until late in the 2010's (around 2015 maybe). Times to avoid this road are generally between 4 and 8pm, and once construction starts... you might just want to avoid this road all together...

-I 35 North East of downtown has been upgraded to a 6-8 lane freeway, but even then it struggles to keep up with the capacity of the traffic that uses it. The very "axis" of the entire San Antonio/ Austin metro area is I-35, and because of this, much more than just San Antonians use this road! In fact, aside from the 3million residents that live in the Austin/ SA area, I-35 carries a hefty load of truck traffic as well, because it is (supposedly) part of the NAFTA superhighway that connects Mexico, the US, and Canada. During much of the day, 35 isn't too bad, but it's definitely a road to avoid. Sometime in the 2010's, they will be upgrading this freeway by adding 8 elevated toll lanes from south of New Braunfels to Downtown, and eventually all the way thru to the south side, making I-35 a massive 14-16 lane freeway. Like I said about 1604, once construction starts on the upgrade, you might just want to avoid the road all together....

-US 281 is a freeway from I-37 north of downtown to 1604, but north of 1604 it is a divided highway with signaled intersections. Starting this spring, construction will begin to pave a 6-8 lane toll freeway down the median, and is scheduled to be complete by 2010.

-Other than these 3 particular roads, you will find that all the other freeways in SA will provide quick, easy, convenient access to anywhere you need to go in the city. Infact, I-10 NW of downtown up to I-410 has, after I think about 8 years of construction, finally been upgraded to a state-of-the-art (practically brand new) 10 lane freeway.

Old 03-09-2008, 03:34 PM

4,521 posts, read 5,231,826 times
Default separate forum?

I appreciate your question but it seems like a DAILY request for info. What is and isn't great about SA. I'm sure there is a sticky on this asking people to read a page or two to see if their question already has an answer - hence a separate forum for 'what makes SA great'.

Then again, I may be the only one on here to see repetive questions as a downside. MANY times out-of-towners post on here since they notice it's one of the busiest in the nation - go SA!

Old 03-09-2008, 04:22 PM

4,263 posts, read 9,712,305 times
The answers are all here..time and time again we've answered these same questions...I wish the newcomers (or potential newcomers) would just do a search. I agree, there needs to be a sticky...or a few stickies (weather, things to do, night life, bad/good areas etc...) would save so much time for all.

Old 03-09-2008, 04:49 PM

136 posts, read 490,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
I appreciate your question but it seems like a DAILY request for info. What is and isn't great about SA. I'm sure there is a sticky on this asking people to read a page or two to see if their question already has an answer - hence a separate forum for 'what makes SA great'.

Then again, I may be the only one on here to see repetive questions as a downside. MANY times out-of-towners post on here since they notice it's one of the busiest in the nation - go SA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstclassflyer View Post
The answers are all here..time and time again we've answered these same questions...I wish the newcomers (or potential newcomers) would just do a search. I agree, there needs to be a sticky...or a few stickies (weather, things to do, night life, bad/good areas etc...) would save so much time for all.
And it would save hurt feelings from callous individuals who don't know how to be polite. If you read my thread, you would've seen that I had said "I've been looking through a lot of the threads here, and it seems like you are a wonderful group." Perhaps I was too hasty in my assumptions? If people would make their titles better, instead of "I could use some help" or "thinking about San Antonio", threads would be easier to find. If you don't feel like answering these questions, why not move along and view another thread. This is City-data.com, a website giving information about various cities. It's not like I'm asking "what's your favorite beverage, Pepsi or Coke."

I thank Chris very much for the information. Perhaps when someone now puts in pros and cons of san antonio, they will find this thread, ignore posts 3 and 4, and actually find the information they seek, and feel welcome in the process.

And, before you get your knickers in a knot, I did use the search function, which lead me to 15 page threads all from 2006. Or does San Antonio not grow over time and I can feel comfortable using 2 year old information?

Thanks for ruining my day. Have a nice one yourself.

Old 03-09-2008, 04:53 PM

378 posts, read 1,302,081 times
(PRO's)Entertainment, Traffic, WEATHER ^^

Smog- isn't really the main problem here it's more like allergens that free float here SA is one of the worst places to live if you are Asthmatic or have allergies. Nightlife here is good but it's all spread out through out the city.

Crime- really isn't that bad here cause it's mostly concentrated in the inner loop or 410. This leaves all the area outside 410 pretty safe.

Travel- If you ever get bored during a weekend or on a vacation you can go to Austin which is about 1 hour away depending on traffic. Or Corpus Christi for the beach only a 2 hour drive but well worth the drive.

You can even go international and drive down to Mexico ether from Laredo or Brownsville. Laredo is quicker but I prefer Brownsville cause South Padre is next door along with Mexico. Also cause Nuevo Laredo(Mexico's side) is more dangerous then Matamoros(Mexico's side) with the drug cartel shooting everybody so go Brownsville.

Old 03-09-2008, 05:18 PM

378 posts, read 1,302,081 times
(CON's) my bad I forgot the con's of SA

Construction- Has been a major role in SA's highways for along time and looks like a long time to it is finally finished.

Abuse of power from Cops. Don't get me wrong there are some good cops out there but there are also a lot of bad cops as well.

Constant heat and Humidity for months on end just lat month it it 92 F in the middle of February that's hot. To give you a stand on how hot it gets, it has not snow here for 25 years that a quarter century right there. We not even get a winter till november if were lucky.

Old 03-09-2008, 05:55 PM

2,330 posts, read 6,271,284 times
I think the same thing happens on here as when you go somewhere to ask someone something.. unbeknownst to you.. someone has asked that person for the 100th time that they need to know something.. and the person they asked gets snappy (only because he/she has answered it for the 100th time that day) and thinks to them selves (what stupid people). My 2 cp on this.. someone asks for information.. give it to them. No matter if they can find it on their own or whatever. I see it as a service that we should be able to provide since we are on here looking at this forum any ways.

Wild,

Hopefully everyone on top has answered all of your questions.. one of the things that I have to say is.. humidity.. if you can handle it along with the heat.. you will do just fine here! I promise ya.. us San Antonio people are very friendly. As you know .. some times people can be rude.. but that is every where in America.

Plan to take some trips down to Corpus Christi to relax as it is nice down there. Fishing and all if you are into that! Hit me up if you want anything more specific

Old 03-09-2008, 06:00 PM

14,627 posts, read 31,212,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildmaven View Post
And it would save hurt feelings from callous individuals who don't know how to be polite. If you read my thread, you would've seen that I had said "I've been looking through a lot of the threads here, and it seems like you are a wonderful group." Perhaps I was too hasty in my assumptions? If people would make their titles better, instead of "I could use some help" or "thinking about San Antonio", threads would be easier to find. If you don't feel like answering these questions, why not move along and view another thread. This is City-data.com, a website giving information about various cities. It's not like I'm asking "what's your favorite beverage, Pepsi or Coke."

I thank Chris very much for the information. Perhaps when someone now puts in pros and cons of san antonio, they will find this thread, ignore posts 3 and 4, and actually find the information they seek, and feel welcome in the process.

And, before you get your knickers in a knot, I did use the search function, which lead me to 15 page threads all from 2006. Or does San Antonio not grow over time and I can feel comfortable using 2 year old information?

Thanks for ruining my day. Have a nice one yourself.
I agree with you. The forum wouldn't be very "fresh" if you just had to look over posts from 2006. Most of us here are friendly and helpful, especially when you ask specific questions. If I have nothing to add, I usually just skip the thread entirely, so I don't know why they are getting so uptight.

I'll come back in a little bit and post some of my "pro's and con's."

And don't let them ruin your day! I think they are having a bad one themselves.

Old 03-09-2008, 06:28 PM

4,263 posts, read 9,712,305 times
I still support the "stickies" idea. Especially if we could add to it every once in a while.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or