U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2017, 05:58 PM

2 posts, read 2,929 times

Advertisements

Hello All. After an exhaustive search for a new location to move to, my husband and I have decided to check out New Braunfels, TX and the immediate area. However, I have read the numerous horror stories about building homes in Texas on top of the clay soil, which then can cause problems with foundations shifting and cracking. We are planning on buying new construction (already built), so how can we make sure we don't buy a future expensive problem? Since we are not from the area, we know nothing about the local builders and/or what land to purchase if we decide to build from scratch. I know it is better to stay west of I-35, but New Braunfels is pretty much on I-35. We were all ready to make a trip there to check the area out, but now we aren't so sure. Any guidance will be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2017, 06:20 PM

6,165 posts, read 8,646,270 times
There's no way to say that your house will never shift, east, west, north or south in South and Central Texas. It sounds like you've never been to New Braunfels. What is it about the area that has you set on it?

Old 06-04-2017, 06:35 PM

2 posts, read 2,929 times
We have lived in the southeastern U.S. in several different states and want to move west, but not into the "desert" west. We want a new construction home with some "room" from our neighbors but can still get to shopping, restaurants, etc. within a few miles. We like the climate and the fact that we can still travel to a large city like San Antonio (international airport, hospitals, etc.) if need be. I have researched other mid sized towns in this part of Texas, and for various reasons, don't think any of them would be as good a fit as New Braunfels--mostly that they don't have the retail available that we want.

Old 06-04-2017, 09:31 PM

6,273 posts, read 9,030,495 times
If you go west of 35, you'll more likely be on bedrock. We're east of 35, but watched our home being built with a good slab, so we're not concerned. But like I said - to the west, you'll mostly be on bedrock. Just get a good home inspection.

Old 06-10-2017, 05:31 AM

553 posts, read 400,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatPerson1255 View Post
We have lived in the southeastern U.S. in several different states and want to move west, but not into the "desert" west. We want a new construction home with some "room" from our neighbors but can still get to shopping, restaurants, etc. within a few miles. We like the climate and the fact that we can still travel to a large city like San Antonio (international airport, hospitals, etc.) if need be. I have researched other mid sized towns in this part of Texas, and for various reasons, don't think any of them would be as good a fit as New Braunfels--mostly that they don't have the retail available that we want.
Population wise, New Braunfels may still be 'mid sized'... traffic wise, it's a big city. Wasn't built for the explosive growth of recent years. You might look a bit south toward Seguin, or somewhere between Seguin and San Marcos. Seguin is starting to grow a little, but it's slow.

Old 06-11-2017, 09:31 AM

723 posts, read 507,504 times
If you think that New Braunfels is a traffic hell now, see what it could look like post-Vermendi.
veramendi

The rule of thumb is that I-35 sits roughly on the Balcones fault line. Anything south of the fault line is going to generally be sandy and clay and contain shifting soils. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balcones_Fault

Anything north of the fault is mostly embedded rock and isn't shifting any way shape or form.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or