Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 12:40 PM

129 posts, read 335,166 times

Advertisements

I'm about to buy a house in a few months, and need to pay attention to my spending. Since I work and attend college full time, I don't have as much time at the apartment as I'd like to cook. Can anyone provide, or moreso recommend, any values/deals on any places in town? It could be as simple as a fast food place or a nice restaurant.

For example:
Sonic on Tuesdays have 1/2 price cheeseburgers.

I can't find a good list online, but hopefully this can help people save money when eating out is necessary or desired.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2008, 12:48 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,451,919 times
Well, not so much the fast foods, but I have found if you go to HEB about 7:30am to shop, they normally have marked down any meats for the day.

I got two of those WONDERFUL HEB Prime Rib's for 1/2 price...and my freezer works fine!

Hope this helps!

Oh yea, Papa Murphy has good (and cheap) pizza, but has specials and you get a $2 off coupon in each one...(their veggie is GREAT!)

Old 03-08-2008, 04:43 PM

554 posts, read 2,306,870 times
The best way to save money is to eat in, not out. Its healthier too. HEBs weekly specials are posted on their website. Sun Harvests are as well. Its very easy to make meals on the weekend, freeze them, and then heat them up for week night dinners.

I also work full time and I'm in graduate school part-time (6 hrs), and I make dinner 5 nights a week and make sure that we have food for the other two nights for my husband to fix while I'm at class.

Old 03-08-2008, 07:32 PM

454 posts, read 505,202 times
I'd highly recommend looking into some cookbooks that focus on mid-week quick meals.

Sonic cheeseburgers once a week will not only add pounds to your body but all sorts of other bad things to you. In the end, eating out will be more costly than eating in, both on your body and your wallet.

Old 03-08-2008, 08:10 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,105,348 times
Super Target stores usually have clearance markdowns on meat that's about to expire. Ditto the sentiment above about the freezer, since these meats will freeze just fine.

WalMart Supercenters have clearance bakery items on a cart near the dairy section. Cookies and bread freeze well, but you might draw the line at cakes and pies. (WalMart haters, please keep your weapons holstered for this thread. Thanks. )

The earlier in the day you shop, the better the selection of both of the above items.

I've found clearance deals at HEB stores to be very hit-and-miss, almost not worth seeking out.

Old 03-09-2008, 10:52 AM

3,216 posts, read 8,554,994 times
I do like the HEB combo loco and meal deals...as long as you like/need the item featured, of course. If there is an item included that we don't use, I can always give it to the food bank collection at church.

Old 03-09-2008, 10:55 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,026,845 times
LOL@ all the mother hens!! I know, it's our instinct to "protect" and "look out for" the young-uns, but he's asking for RESTAURANT specials!!

Do they still have Taco Sunday at Taco Bell? Last time we did that, the tacos were 49 cents, and the eatin' was good!

Old 03-09-2008, 11:41 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,451,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
LOL@ all the mother hens!! I know, it's our instinct to "protect" and "look out for" the young-uns, but he's asking for RESTAURANT specials!!

Do they still have Taco Sunday at Taco Bell? Last time we did that, the tacos were 49 cents, and the eatin' was good!
You are SO right....LOL!

In that case, the BEST deal you can get is buy a COSTCO membership and wander around aimlessly all weekend eating at their sample stands for free!

Old 03-09-2008, 12:06 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,541,694 times
We just got a membership at Costco last week, spent way more than we planned on and now we will be eating lots of meatballs and chicken pot pies. I did get a huge container of chicken bouillon. Guess what we are having tonight? Chix noodle soup!

Old 03-09-2008, 01:06 PM

72 posts, read 267,567 times
Oh my gosh! A Costco membership-perfect! My mother-in law, who is 88 and notoriously hard to buy for, received a gift certificate from us to Costco and she has been spending it on their hotdogs-$1.50 for a hot dog and soda. I'm thinking that gift certificate is going to last her a loooonnnngggg time!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio