U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2017, 03:33 PM

3 posts, read 2,341 times

Advertisements

My wife and I (age 55-65) are very interested in moving to SA - we visit there all the time and always hate to go home (rural, near Hamilton). We want to be close to town, so we can pick up a symphony, eat out or go shopping without too much of a drive, and also be on the south side, because we run down to Port Aransas often. From what I can tell, the Floresville area looks just about perfect. There are several subdivisions out that way (e.g. Oak Fields, Shannon Ridge, Bentwood) that look good, with 3 to 5 acre lots. But it seems like nobody here ever talks about the south side area; it's all about N, NW, etc.

Any comments, do's, don'ts, heads ups, etc. for the Floresville area? We know utterly nothing about it, as all of our SA visits have been on the north side. Thanks.
John M.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2017, 05:47 PM

6,178 posts, read 8,651,066 times
It'll be fine if schools and immediate access to entertainment aren't a concern, which it sounds like its not.

Old 06-11-2017, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
It'll be fine if schools and immediate access to entertainment aren't a concern, which it sounds like its not.
Seems like access wouldn't be much of an issue; it's about 25 minutes to the middle of town.

Old 06-11-2017, 08:34 PM

6,178 posts, read 8,651,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruark View Post
Seems like access wouldn't be much of an issue; it's about 25 minutes to the middle of town.
Traffic on 87 can get a bit gnarly at times but nothing compared to the northside. I had some foster families out there about seven years ago and knew that I would get stuck in traffic downtown to get home to the northside. Just plan ahead for rush hour traffic.

Old 06-11-2017, 09:49 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,822 posts, read 33,209,949 times
I have had coworkers who lived out in Floresville and liked it. One of those folks lived alone with his wife and had a large flock of chickens, which he couldn't have done in the city. The other had family there, but moved closer to town, because she grew tired of the commute and wanted to send her kid to Northside schools.

It sounds like your situation is closer to my former coworker who had the chickens, so I'd say it's worth a try.

Old 06-11-2017, 09:54 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,182,175 times
Quote:
My wife and I (age 55-65) are very interested in moving to SA - we visit there all the time and always hate to go home (rural, near Hamilton). We want to be close to town, so we can pick up a symphony, eat out or go shopping without too much of a drive, and also be on the south side, because we run down to Port Aransas often. From what I can tell, the Floresville area looks just about perfect. There are several subdivisions out that way (e.g. Oak Fields, Shannon Ridge, Bentwood) that look good, with 3 to 5 acre lots. But it seems like nobody here ever talks about the south side area; it's all about N, NW, etc.

Any comments, do's, don'ts, heads ups, etc. for the Floresville area? We know utterly nothing about it, as all of our SA visits have been on the north side. Thanks.
John M.

I lived most of my life on the South side.
I’ve been to Floresville many times.
I enjoy the drive.

You’ve mentioned going to places in San Antonio without
too much driving.

Living in Floresville area is about 30 miles from San Antonio.
Most likely the symphony will be over in the evening.
Are you comfortable driving at night?

I don’t know about the subdivisions you have mentioned.
I do know there is a sewage treatment plant on the South side.
Check to see if it’s near where you are thinking of moving.
How close is your doctor or clinic from the area you are
interested in?

Old 06-12-2017, 09:56 AM

17 posts, read 16,263 times
That area sounds perfect for you, since you don't have to worry about schools. I know people in Shannon Ridge and it is about 30 minutes to downtown SA. If you need to go grocery shopping, you can get to the Walmart or HEB in 10 minutes or so.

Old 06-13-2017, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchodrive View Post
I lived most of my life on the South side.
Iíve been to Floresville many times.
I enjoy the drive.

Youíve mentioned going to places in San Antonio without
too much driving.

Living in Floresville area is about 30 miles from San Antonio.
Most likely the symphony will be over in the evening.
Are you comfortable driving at night?

I donít know about the subdivisions you have mentioned.
I do know there is a sewage treatment plant on the South side.
Check to see if itís near where you are thinking of moving.
How close is your doctor or clinic from the area you are
interested in?
From the Bentwood area to the Alamo area is about 25 miles. Very nice, compared to where we are now, with 30 miles each way just to buy a loaf of bread.

The Connally medical complex is about 2 minutes from there.

One thing we're starting to check on is builders. We need one who is good at cutting costs (instead of the opposite). Seems like every one we look at just builds big high-dollar houses. Ours will be relatively modest, like 1600-1700 sq. ft.

Old 06-13-2017, 03:46 PM

4,268 posts, read 8,379,710 times
Quote:
Right, easy access to downtown amenities. There's not much development southside so there's minimal traffic, unless there's an accident or something. A colleague of mine lived in Floresville and worked downtown and it was minimal effort for him.

Old 06-13-2017, 05:40 PM

344 posts, read 331,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
Traffic on 87 can get a bit gnarly at times but nothing compared to the northside. I had some foster families out there about seven years ago and knew that I would get stuck in traffic downtown to get home to the northside. Just plan ahead for rush hour traffic.
what does 87 have to do with floresville?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio