U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 09:16 AM

2,397 posts, read 5,837,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malone View Post
Life is as happy as you make it. No matter where you live.

Even if you are an un-educated hick
ABSOLUTELY!!! Bloom where you're planted!

Old 03-12-2008, 09:17 AM

4,268 posts, read 8,344,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hello13685 View Post
I do think most people would like to raise a family here. It's out of the current of life, and therefore a parent could more easily focus on children without big-city distractions. That has its appeal, I'm sure. As for me, I'm going back to CA, or home to Oregon, even though I make good money in SA and have lovely co-workers. The culture is just stifling to me--more than any of our humid summer days could ever be. In my opinion, nobody wants to strive for anything. They want to sit on a log, crack open a beer, and swat mosquitoes. I hoped it would get better, but it didn't. I think it's a great choice for some people though, like I said.
Once again, you clearly do not get out much. I just wonder where on earth you are socializing that the only people you interact with fit that mold. That is so radically different from my experience as a young(ish), single, non-military person new to San Antonio it's laughable. Even as a married w/kids person now, that is nowhere near the reality I, or most people I know, live.

People who sit at home and expect life to come to them are never going to find it. You need to get out a little bit.

Old 03-12-2008, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello13685 View Post
I do think most people would like to raise a family here. It's out of the current of life, and therefore a parent could more easily focus on children without big-city distractions. That has its appeal, I'm sure. As for me, I'm going back to CA, or home to Oregon, even though I make good money in SA and have lovely co-workers. The culture is just stifling to me--more than any of our humid summer days could ever be. In my opinion, nobody wants to strive for anything. They want to sit on a log, crack open a beer, and swat mosquitoes. I hoped it would get better, but it didn't. I think it's a great choice for some people though, like I said.
I love the pretentious and condescending attitude.

Personally, I don't mind sitting on a log and cracking open a beer once in a while, but I'll be damned if I'm going to be swatting mosquitoes...that's why we have bug zappers!

Old 03-12-2008, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanAntoQT View Post
Personally, I don't mind sitting on a log and cracking open a beer once in a while, but I'll be damned if I'm going to be swatting mosquitoes...that's why we have bug zappers!
Ah, we do that all the time, including swatting mozzies, but we're beer snobs, so it's GOOD beer

But I did that in California as well.

Old 03-12-2008, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
Ah, we do that all the time, including swatting mozzies, but we're beer snobs, so it's GOOD beer

But I did that in California as well.
Well, if the zapper is on the fritz, I won't hesitate to swat a mosquito or two. In our house, it's only imported beer, however, an occasional "Sammy" Adams will slip in. *lol*

Since Hello is so set on generalizing, since I'm in San Diego and you drank beer here, also, do you think that the entire state of California would qualify as beer-drinking, mosquito-swatting, log-sitting people of the ordinary ilk, as her logic would imply? Hmmmm...

Old 03-12-2008, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanAntoQT View Post
Well, if the zapper is on the fritz, I won't hesitate to swat a mosquito or two. In our house, it's only imported beer, however, an occasional "Sammy" Adams will slip in. *lol*

Since Hello is so set on generalizing, since I'm in San Diego and you drank beer here, also, do you think that the entire state of California would qualify as beer-drinking, mosquito-swatting, log-sitting people of the ordinary ilk, as her logic would imply? Hmmmm...
Well, where I lived there were no mosquitoes. But plenty of beer drinking and a few logs. In fact, I think that's what most people I know in California do.

As for imported vs. domestic, there are many many excellent domestic microbrews to be had. While I love European beers on the whole, they don't always transport well - ie that are made different for export than they are locally, so often not as good unless they're from the tap. I'm trying to drink less beer these days though

Old 03-12-2008, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
As for imported vs. domestic, there are many many excellent domestic microbrews to be had. While I love European beers on the whole, they don't always transport well - ie that are made different for export than they are locally, so often not as good unless they're from the tap. I'm trying to drink less beer these days though
Personally, I couldn't tell you the difference between a domestic, imported, microbrew or homebrew. I was strictly a Coors Light/Bud Light girl myself. *lol* The old man, however, is a world traveler and, fortunately, I like trying new things, so whatever he likes is what we drink.

Old 03-12-2008, 11:22 AM

39 posts, read 521,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey1984 View Post
San Antonio is a progressive and modern yet historic metropolis. Dark ages? You must not no anything about San Antonio and it's explosive growth.
If you think San Antonio is "progressive" and "modern" you must not ever travel outside of San Antonio or south Texas.

Old 03-12-2008, 11:28 AM

39 posts, read 521,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michelangelosa View Post
How in the heck can you even speak for millions of people when you first of all have shown yourself to be nothing but a negative narrow minded person with prejudice tendencies who goes about her way to try and make people feel bad about themselves or their lives.

Second, you are not from San Antonio and are have moved to San Antonio in the last couple of years, right? So that gives you the daunting ability to read the minds of millions of people not only in San Antonio but the country and then of course be able to tell us exactly what they want or don't want, huh? That's mighty big of you.

It's absolutely amazing how you can still question why you are always being chastised on this forum.
Oh please. When someone makes a generalization, they're not talking about every individual in a city or geographic area. What they are saying is that one can make observations about the general pulse, vibe, culture of a city.

The fact is, much of what hello expresses is very true. Granted, there are always exceptions to the rule but "laidback" and "non-striving" are words that accurately describe a large number of San Antonians.

Old 03-12-2008, 11:37 AM

944 posts, read 2,799,518 times
Thanks sophix. It's ALL generalizations. That's what people don't get. I have also generalized the many times that I've said that the weather and the people in San Antonio are nice, but did the City-Data San Antonio clique jump down my throat for those generalizations? Nope.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or