U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2017, 09:48 PM

719 posts, read 500,908 times

Advertisements

So, this really is two different rants. First of all, I have never understood why when you buy a home in Texas that when you go to the settlement table, why don't *both* parties come to the table with prorated portions for the current year tax assessment. I mean, if is after 5/31, then you know what the tax bill will be, assuming that the estimate is actual if the settlement is after 5/31.

If you buy a home after 5/31, you are at a disadvantage as you have no opportunity to contest the assessment for the portion remaining in the year. Stupid system because I noticed that the sq footage was wrong right away once I got the bill. It was in the county's favor.

Fast forward to the next year, and once contesting 2016 taxes was over, I proceeded to contest the 2015 taxes I overpaid. In my case, they agreed and I was assured that I would be getting a check, but the assessment office had no knowledge of how long it would take. Fair enough. I would wait. I get the 2017 assessment, and I decide to contest it as well.

While I am down there, I inquire about the check I am owed for 2015 overpayment. I'm informed that I will have to direct my question to the tax office across the street. I find a person to talk to, and they figure out that they sent me a check in December 2016. Where did they send the check? To my prior address! I have no idea how they even got the address, or what made them conclude to send it there.

So, I'm told I will have to get an affidavit form filled out and notarized in order for them to reissue the check. Even though I don't agree that I should have to go through so many hoops to correct *their* mistake, I go through it and bring it down to the tax office on 7/3.

My phone rings on 7/6. It's the tax office. They want to clarify which address to send the check to!

P.S., the only conclusion I can reach as to how they got my old address was that I must've not been done with my stack of checks printed with my old address on it when I sent in my first tax check. Even if that was the case, they should've asked themselves "Did he pay the taxes when the bill was sent to the property address? Yes, well then we should send check there." So you kids out there, be careful about what address you have on your check when you send in your county taxes.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2017, 06:39 AM

3,141 posts, read 5,165,999 times
To answer your first question, it is common practice (at least in my experience) to prorate the taxes for the current tax year when buying property. If you are talking about the upcoming tax year (the bills are mailed out in October, and due by 1/31 of the following year), the deadline to protest was 5/31, but the actual amount of tax to be paid has not been finalized, and may vary from the estimate provided earlier in the year. I'm talking about the actual taxable amount, not the assessed value of the property.

As for the second question, I don't know the answer, but it sounds like the seller probably didn't know the square footage was wrong. I take it the footage was off significantly, and not just a relatively small amount that would be due to rounding up the measurements. Also, if the owner was selling the property, they probably didn't have an incentive to protest a high assessment. Did you actually purchase below the BCAD appraisal?

Old 07-09-2017, 09:58 AM

719 posts, read 500,908 times
The difference in square footage was because of an outdoor living area being counted as part of the house. It was at least 400 sq ft difference.

I say to fix the first problem we switch from paying taxes in arrears to paying them in advance. Then the seller walks away from settlement with a refund check.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio