U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 01:09 PM

790 posts, read 3,622,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgannaway89 View Post
What is the difference (in cost) between say a house in far NW San Antonio as to a house (of the same size and physical condition) in a lesser known Southside neighborhood.
I have a preference for older houses in established neighborhoods, so during my house search I looked in the closer-in neighborhoods like Mahncke Park, Alta Vista, Beacon Hill, Tobin Hill. Most of these houses run anywhere from $120K to $300K depending on size, renovation condition, how many other houses on that street have been redone, etc. In comparison, you can find virtually identical housing stock in virtually identical condition in the South Presa area (1.5 miles south of downtown, past Southtown) for anywhere from $70K to $150K. And $150K will buy you a huge 2-story palace with a veranda, yard, etc. Compare that to your average home in NW where a 3/2 on a tiny lot will run $150K and up.

But as any realtor will tell you, pricing is all about location, location, location. The perception is that South Presa is a poor, rundown neighborhood with a lot of crime. I happen to know that's not an accurate perception because I serve on a volunteer board in the neighborhood and spend a good deal of time there. South Presa, and by extension, Highlands, tends to be a very mixed-age, mixed-income established neighborhood... yes, with some crime, but also just a lot of regular plain Joe Six Packs who go to work every day and come home and barbecue in the backyard. However, people who are used to living in antiseptic suburbs with strip malls and chain stores and HOAs may find that older neighborhoods in need of investment are just not their cup of tea. To each their own. That's one aspect of why pricing varies so markedly for similar housing in various areas of town. I'm sure our realtor members will have more specific data on housing prices by neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2008, 03:19 PM

4,268 posts, read 8,382,051 times
Ditto CelesteDF.

We bought in what was then one of the perceived 'poor, rundown, high crime' neighborhoods (now it's the 'in' place to buy). But we also looked further down S. Presa (behind HEB) at some really amazing places. We felt that 1)they weren't walking distance to downtown and 2) the 'hoods weren't coming back as fast as ours (where we were renting). Really incredible places to be had though.

Highland Park area is another excellent place which IS in wonderful shape. Nice neighborhood, lots of families, lots of owner-occupied homes, those for sale less than $100K (a few years back in the $60K range but now a bit more). They do tend to be smaller than the typical new construction on the north side, but the lots are much bigger.

I've found from many native San Antonians, esp. those who grew up in the southside 'hoods see moving to the north/nw side as 'moving up.' Then there are the others who've never been to the southside who have long seated biases and are scared of it.

All that said, location aside, old homes are definitely not for everyone!

Old 03-13-2008, 06:25 PM

418 posts, read 1,113,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
That's a reasonable point. However I wonder how SA compares to other cities in the higher end market. I know we have higher end properties, but from what I've seen in other cities, there's more at the high end than we have here. The result being the low end drags the avg down in SA, while in other cities it's balanced out by the higher end.

That's why a median makes much more sense.
Its tough to tell. It really depends on the definition of high end? If you are talking size, quality, and custom built, we have an incredible amount.

If you are talking price, we have very few. We are not a land locked city with low property taxes.

Old 03-13-2008, 11:36 PM

4,268 posts, read 8,382,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by traficdogn View Post
Its tough to tell. It really depends on the definition of high end? If you are talking size, quality, and custom built, we have an incredible amount.

If you are talking price, we have very few. We are not a land locked city with low property taxes.
I'm talking strictly price, since that's what the quoted article refers to and how the average discussed is obtained.

Old 03-14-2008, 07:54 AM

3,981 posts, read 9,430,316 times
MySA.com: Business (http://www.mysanantonio.com/business/stories/MYSA031408.01C.HomeNumbers031408.2ec1df6.html - broken link)

the median

Old 04-01-2008, 09:28 PM

73 posts, read 91,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvlpr View Post
I certainly can't understand why anyone would want to live in a boring suburban subdivision as opposed to an older, established neighborhood (I live in MV, by the way), but plenty of people are quite happy to do so. Hell, they actually think it's great!
So let them be happy. Who are you to tell them they shouldn't be or that they're wrong for it?

Old 06-23-2011, 04:25 PM

1 posts, read 1,185 times
Question Property taxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by banker View Post
Not sure what kind of house you could get for less than $800/month here in San Antonio. Not buying today anyway. The house I just sold was in that payment range...but I bought it at 2001 prices...not 2008 prices. I wouldn't want to live in a home that was in the low $100K range today. The house I sold was nice enough...but I sold it for $179K - the monthly payment even on a 30 year mortgage will be much higher than the figures released in this study. The taxes alone will be $300/month.
Wow, property taxes on a 179K home would be $300/month? What is the tax rate anyway?

Old 06-23-2011, 06:02 PM

3,154 posts, read 5,193,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgirl47 View Post
Wow, property taxes on a 179K home would be $300/month? What is the tax rate anyway?
It depends on whether or not you are inside city limits, and what school district the property is located in. I would say the total tax rate is approximately 2-3/4% of market value, if inside a city's limits.

Actually, on a $179K valued house, $400/month is more like it.

Old 06-23-2011, 09:59 PM

4,149 posts, read 9,327,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgirl47 View Post
Our property taxes are high, but you also need to consider that we don't have a state income tax, or a bunch of other garbage like so many states do. I'll try to find it, but a while back I saw a graphic that took each state's taxes into account and averaged them all out. We were ranked around 44 or so.

We just get one big bill at the end of the year.

Old 06-23-2011, 10:42 PM

7,002 posts, read 10,286,411 times
I just watched this video on statistics made in 1989. It talked about the correlation between low housing prices and undesirable weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or