Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 07:50 AM

3,111 posts, read 9,207,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnappyBob View Post
I agree, going slower than the speed limit in the left lane is a major no-no. Although the majority of cars I see in the left lane are going 10 -15 MPH over the speed limit. If the speed limit is 65 MPH I can be in the left lane doing 70 mph and I have a line of 2 or 3 cars on my bumper. When I mover over to let them by they fly by me doing at least 80. Too many drivers regard the left lane as the no speed limit lane.
Don't you hate it when they are tailgating you so you get over and they don't go around you.
I've noticed that some people just can't drive unless they are right on someone's a$$. Maybe it is more in the rural area but I definitely see it. You can be going 65 or 70 and they are right there behind you, then you pull over and let them go by and you are stuck behind them going 55
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2008, 08:02 AM

413 posts, read 1,404,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
And of course, all the city data forum members NEVER do any of these things. We're all excellent drivers

I seriously LOL'd when I read this.

Old 03-13-2008, 08:12 AM

130 posts, read 543,795 times
Quote:
BUT...my biggest pet peeve--related to above--is where at a light, a right turn lane feeds you into a NEW lane without a yield sign. PEOPLE INCORRECTLY STOP TO YIELD. There is a brand new lane that you are basically stopping in the middle of for no reason.

My example is one of the worst offenders that I encounter fairly often (but thankfully not daily):

Here is a screen cap of 281/1604. The red line indicates the turn lane for those turning right (SOUTH) onto 281 from 1604 (heading EAST). There is no yield sign at this turn, yet people stop. This backs up traffic for 1/2 a mile give or take.

Here you will see the black SUV in the spot where most people stop to check for traffic coming through the light. What most people ignore is that there is an open lane right in front of them...and that it is protected by a solid white line. This means even if someone were to cut in front of them, it would be 100% their fault (IE, not the fault of the black SUV).

This happens at a lot of "turnarounds" around the city as well.

Sorry for the rant...but I know this frustrates a lot of other people besides me and I thought I would bring it up just in case anyone here wanted to pass on the info!
I am guilty of this, but only because I used to not stop, and just go and on time some crazy person jumped in the lane not realizing that it is eventually going to merge, THEN go on the freeway.... he was rushing and not paying attention. We hit, it was his fault, I had 3 witnesses stop and vouche for it. I just drive defensively now, I guess those annoying people would just rather be safe than sorry.

Old 03-13-2008, 08:16 AM

130 posts, read 543,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RecovringKrspyKremeAddict View Post
Ohhh!!!! I HATE, HATE, HATE when driver's DO that! I've seen that happen SO many times when I am driving and I'm always amazed that it hasn't caused more accidents! HELLLOOOO People.....if you are old enough to drive, you are old enough to be thinking ahead about when you need to exit!

I just saw this happen yesterday.... some guy almost hit the wall just trying to exit at San Pedro on 410. It was like 7:30 and there was NO traffic! If my boyfriend had been driving a little faster we would have been hit by that idiot!

Old 03-13-2008, 09:11 AM

2,027 posts, read 7,024,798 times
Next time I am tailgating you at 80mph flashing my lights to pass you won't you move over?

Old 03-13-2008, 09:44 AM

343 posts, read 1,305,216 times
I'm guilty of not allowing some drivers get into a lane. But my reason is because of those drivers that pass a long line of cars waiting to turn and there are no cars on the left lane. Example, Guilbeau at Bandera and Eckert at Bandera. Hell man. I've been waiting for 10 minutes and you think you're just gonna cut in front of me. Hell no!! Or the ones that pass a long line of cars by going in the middle turning lane and then expect you to let them back in. Tas tapado o que?? Otherwise I try to be a friendly driver and let drivers in. But they have to put on their blinker.

Another one is drivers that turn unto a street when they have a red light & I have a green arrow to turn. I think I'm allowed to turn first and then that driver can turn. But no. They get pissed because I (having the green arrow) turned in front of them. Sape!!

Or drivers that don't yield. Example is 1604 at Kyle Seale. If I'm exiting 1604, I'm expecting the drivers on the frontage road to yield. I practice defensive driving but I'm not gonna give them the right of way just because they're idiot drivers. I'll merge unto the frontage road and make them yield.

Old 03-13-2008, 10:23 AM

2,397 posts, read 6,455,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yosoyway View Post
I'm guilty of not allowing some drivers get into a lane. But my reason is because of those drivers that pass a long line of cars waiting to turn and there are no cars on the left lane. Example, Guilbeau at Bandera and Eckert at Bandera. Hell man. I've been waiting for 10 minutes and you think you're just gonna cut in front of me. Hell no!! Or the ones that pass a long line of cars by going in the middle turning lane and then expect you to let them back in. Tas tapado o que?? Otherwise I try to be a friendly driver and let drivers in. But they have to put on their blinker.

Another one is drivers that turn unto a street when they have a red light & I have a green arrow to turn. I think I'm allowed to turn first and then that driver can turn. But no. They get pissed because I (having the green arrow) turned in front of them. Sape!!

Or drivers that don't yield. Example is 1604 at Kyle Seale. If I'm exiting 1604, I'm expecting the drivers on the frontage road to yield. I practice defensive driving but I'm not gonna give them the right of way just because they're idiot drivers. I'll merge unto the frontage road and make them yield.
This is how I drive, too! The same thing with merging into traffic when you have road construction. I know people see that big red "X" on the board, but still drive on that lane, just to jump ahead of everyone else! Pen.de.JOS!

Old 03-13-2008, 10:40 AM

51 posts, read 126,542 times
Oh, I also have a stopping peeve. Does that count ? LOL
What is it with people stopping at least a car length behind the next guy or the stop line ? Then they roll a little. And then they roll a little. And then they roll a little. And then they... Well, you get my drift. Why can't they just pull up to where they should be and stay there ?!? In thick traffic, another car or two could have gotten across that intersection behind them if they'd just done it right the first time. What is up with that ?

Old 03-13-2008, 11:22 AM

5 posts, read 10,914 times
I might be the only one with this peeve... mainly cause i drive standard, but please, please at light or stop sign... dont stop so close to the car in front of you... you never know if that person drives standard and their car will roll back a few inches before it takes off... and another... if you are in the highway and you see someone merging into your lane and you are on the right lane, and theres no one on your left... please merge left so that person can come in to you lane... be courteouse dont give them the finger as you race in front of them... thanks!

Old 03-13-2008, 11:50 AM

905 posts, read 2,959,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabseH View Post
Oh, I also have a stopping peeve. Does that count ? LOL
What is it with people stopping at least a car length behind the next guy or the stop line ? Then they roll a little. And then they roll a little. And then they roll a little. And then they... Well, you get my drift. Why can't they just pull up to where they should be and stay there ?!? In thick traffic, another car or two could have gotten across that intersection behind them if they'd just done it right the first time. What is up with that ?

Oh boy does this one count!

There are lights at certain intersections that change to allow left hand turning when there is a car in the lane. What's with the guy that doesn't pull up far enough into the lane, so the light doesn't register, hence, it doesn't change?

The light at our subdivision will cycle through and turn green at certain times of the day when traffic is light, otherwise, it goes about it's normal cycle of 5 minutes for the main street and 30 seconds for the cross streets. If the person ahead of me would just move up to where they should be, the light would change within a very short time. But no, they sit and let the light cycle through. Point being, it doesn't matter if they knew the light did this or not, they just needed to be in the right place and it would happen. grrrrrr.....

Another rant...

I had a tail gater today that gave me such joy

My car sits low to the ground, but the tailgater was in a Dodge Ram truck, which means that I could see nothing but his grill and headlights in my rear view mirror. Many of you are familiar with the train tracks that cross Wurzbach between Lockhill Selma and Vance Jackson. The track crossing is a bit rough on one side, and I slow down a little to cross the tracks so my car doesn't hit so hard. Well, Mr. Dodge Ram was so close that I opted to not slow down, for fear that he would rear end me. That grill and those head lights stayed right with me as I crossed the tracks, as well as when I accelerated back up the hill. So much for common courtesy.

Same thing happens when driving through a subdivision that has those mega-speed bumps. Those with trucks or SUV's will just charge across them like they aren't there, but those of us that drive cars have to slow down or face the possibility of hitting the under body of the car, not to mention what it does to the front end alignment.

As for the proper stopping distance between cars, they told us in Driver's Ed (back in the dinosaur days) that if you could see daylight underneath the car in front of you, you were okay.
Don't know what they teach now. I like to at least see the back tires...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio