Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 08:55 AM

1,314 posts, read 3,177,977 times

Advertisements

OK, I'll start today's rant session about driving pet peeves. The one that's bugging me most lately is that virtually nobody knows that it's perfectly legal to turn left on red when the street you're on and the street you're turning onto are both one-way (but only when both are one-way). The intersections where I'm typically stuck behind someone who doesn't know this helpful little tidbit are the four signalized intersections under the I-10/Loop 1604 interchange on the northwest side, but it also happens at the intersections at Loop 410/SH 151 as well as dozens of intersections downtown. So if you didn't know before, now you do. Be sure to tell all your friends, too, so I don't get stuck behind them.

Last edited by TexHwyMan; 03-12-2008 at 09:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2008, 09:01 AM

11,431 posts, read 18,999,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexHwyMan View Post
OK, I'll start today's rant session about driving pet peeves. The one that's bugging me most lately is that virtually nobody knows that it's perfectly legal to turn left on red when the street you're on and the street you're turning onto are both one-way. The intersections where I'm typically stuck behind someone who doesn't know this helpful little tidbit are the four signalized intersections under the I-10/Loop 1604 interchange on the northwest side, but it also happens at the intersections at Loop 410/SH 151 as well as dozens of intersections downtown. So if you didn't know before, now you do. Be sure to tell all your friends, too, so I don't get stuck behind them.
you are so right! i didn't learn that trick until about 10 years AFTER i got my drivers' license. i tend to use it when i'm in a downtown area, but honestly maybe not as much in the underpasses that you mentioned. thanks for spreading the word.

Old 03-12-2008, 09:07 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,541,865 times
I get a little road rage from time to time myself-and am probably not the perfect driver 100% of the time either!

I know SA gets a lot of flack for terrible drivers but do keep in mind the huge amount of transplants that aren't familiar with the area. It has taken me a little while to know my way around and that in itself makes me a little apprehensive sometimes. That being said....a little common sense goes a long ways!

Old 03-12-2008, 09:18 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,108,718 times
I know about the rule, but I encounter the situation so infrequently that I've probably forgotten about it when I have encountered it. If the problem is one of uninformed drivers, then the solution should be for TxDOT and the city transportation department to install better signage reminding drivers of the option.

Old 03-12-2008, 09:27 AM

4,307 posts, read 9,555,421 times
Now I always sit there wondering "Can I turn left here?" But I'm usually downtown with a bunch of tourists who have no clue where they're going anyway.

Old 03-12-2008, 11:17 AM

431 posts, read 1,204,175 times
Usually most annoying to me: Yielding when there is NOT a yield sign!

It is bothersome (and quite dangerous) when someone comes to a complete stop on an access/feeder road...whether or not there is actual traffic exiting from a freeway. Thankfully, the city has seemingly acknowledged the fact that yields are dangerous on a 45-55 mph road and that it is safer to incorporate merging lanes (with the double white lines). Unfortunately, there are still plenty of the "old style" exits around with yield signs, and even if an exit has been changed to the new NO YIELD type...some people are either in the habit of yeilding/stopping or something because it still happens at the new NO YIELD exit.

I have a feeling this will make sense to people that agree with me I'd wager that my post might be confusing to those that still yield in the wrong places (and/or come to a complete stop whether it is truly necessary or not).

BUT...my biggest pet peeve--related to above--is where at a light, a right turn lane feeds you into a NEW lane without a yield sign. PEOPLE INCORRECTLY STOP TO YIELD. There is a brand new lane that you are basically stopping in the middle of for no reason.

My example is one of the worst offenders that I encounter fairly often (but thankfully not daily):

Here is a screen cap of 281/1604. The red line indicates the turn lane for those turning right (SOUTH) onto 281 from 1604 (heading EAST). There is no yield sign at this turn, yet people stop. This backs up traffic for 1/2 a mile give or take.

Here you will see the black SUV in the spot where most people stop to check for traffic coming through the light. What most people ignore is that there is an open lane right in front of them...and that it is protected by a solid white line. This means even if someone were to cut in front of them, it would be 100% their fault (IE, not the fault of the black SUV).

This happens at a lot of "turnarounds" around the city as well.

Sorry for the rant...but I know this frustrates a lot of other people besides me and I thought I would bring it up just in case anyone here wanted to pass on the info!

Old 03-12-2008, 11:27 AM

3,060 posts, read 7,423,464 times
heimerswt - my pet peeves exactly!

Old 03-12-2008, 11:27 AM

2,027 posts, read 7,025,249 times
These rants are all legitimate and if everyone learned to drive correctly we wouldn't have as bad a traffic problem (say at 281/1604 for example?). The only thing that I have to include is that many of our residents are new (many from out of state) and are not yet familiar driving in SA. Let's also not forget the 20-something million visitors that are forced onto our streets (as their is no alternative... say light-rail?) and know nothing about our streets (layouts, speed limits, etc.)

Old 03-12-2008, 11:50 AM

1,893 posts, read 5,587,870 times
On these new NO YIELD exits, what if one car is exiting the freeway and another car is approaching the exit ramp from the access road and there speed and trajectory would put them on an eventual collision course? Being how only one car can fit into the space of one car something has to give. Presumably and hopefully one of the cars would make a change of course so that the transition could be made with out incident. Which car does that at a NO YIELD exit?

Old 03-12-2008, 12:01 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,555,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heimerswt View Post
Here you will see the black SUV in the spot where most people stop to check for traffic coming through the light. What most people ignore is that there is an open lane right in front of them...and that it is protected by a solid white line. This means even if someone were to cut in front of them, it would be 100% their fault (IE, not the fault of the black SUV).
While I agree with you and in general feel it's safer to follow the rules of the road, sometimes it doesn't matter if the other driver is 100% at fault, you're still out a car and possibly some physical damage to yourself and other passengers if someone cuts in front of you.

I was taught when learning to drive to never assume the other driver knows the road and will do the right thing. Now, always assuming that may be problematic, but I can see why one would at least slow down before turning. I always look both ways as I approach an intersection, even if mylight is greeen.I don't stop and don't really slow down significantly, but don't assume everyone else is going to stop because their light is red. I've avoided a few accidents that way.

Related to this yielding issue - on the off-ramp from I-35/10N onto Durango, there used to be a yield sign placed between Durango and the exit. It was always hard to tell at which road the yield signed was aimed - the freeway exit or the street? Logic would say it's the street, and I usually yield, but often I've seen the offrampers yield. Lately, I've noticed the sign is gone and no one knows what to do....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio