U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 01:53 PM

129 posts, read 457,623 times

Advertisements

I'm getting Fiesta Fever since we missed alot of events last year due to coast trip.

What are some of your favorite memories/events?

My fav is NIOSA the first or second night-too old for third or fourth night

And I like Alamo Heights Night even tho its not an official event.

Sometimes, the Art Fair and/or King William Fair. Although may miss some of those since we are headed to coast the second weekend. Guess the coast fever has been winning out over the fiesta fever!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2008, 02:50 PM

2,397 posts, read 5,843,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAnativegirl View Post
I'm getting Fiesta Fever since we missed alot of events last year due to coast trip.

What are some of your favorite memories/events?

My fav is NIOSA the first or second night-too old for third or fourth night

And I like Alamo Heights Night even tho its not an official event.

Sometimes, the Art Fair and/or King William Fair. Although may miss some of those since we are headed to coast the second weekend. Guess the coast fever has been winning out over the fiesta fever!
Old or not! I'm going to NIOSA's College Night with my daughter on Thursday! I can't wait to go home for Fiesta! *woohoo*

And as rowdy as Market Square gets, I love being there in the thick of things! I love the crowds, beer getting spilled everywhere, people watching, watching dramas unfold...etc.

Old 03-13-2008, 03:04 PM

1,532 posts, read 3,334,748 times
For someone who is not from SA...what is the big flipping deal about Fiesta???? I swear people go nuts over this...holiday? celebration? I don't even know or understand what it's about. Explain?

Old 03-13-2008, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojokitty View Post
For someone who is not from SA...what is the big flipping deal about Fiesta???? I swear people go nuts over this...holiday? celebration? I don't even know or understand what it's about. Explain?
Google!!!!

Fiesta San Antonio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-13-2008, 03:31 PM

1,893 posts, read 4,863,338 times
It's San Antonio's version of Marti Gras in that it is the city's biggest party of the year.

Old 03-13-2008, 03:31 PM

129 posts, read 457,623 times
It's a blast! There are many, many events to choose from. Some people take an entire week off for it all. I have never done that. I forgot to mention the fireworks (free) at Ft. Sam, we usually go to that on Sunday night. It's just one giant party! I worked across the street from Market Square from 85-06 and spent many a lunch hour there during Fiesta. I miss that, too. Again, NIOSA is my favorite, if I had to pick one event.

Old 03-13-2008, 03:35 PM

7,629 posts, read 14,340,450 times
Oh that is EASY...the CORNYNATION!!!

See the website below for info....sooooo funny you just can't believe it!

Cornyation 2008 - The Raunchiest, Cheapest Event of Fiesta San Antonio

Remember, it ALL goes to charity!

Old 03-13-2008, 03:36 PM

I used to schedule my vacation to have that whole week off! I would run the gamut of events from Oyster Bake at St. Mary's University, NIOSA, Tejano Explosion at Cattleman Square, to the all the parades, Battle of the Bands at Alamo Stadium, and, of course, Market Square. It's hard for me to pick a favorite.

ETA: Oh, yeah! Cornyation!!!!

Old 03-13-2008, 04:04 PM

394 posts, read 1,375,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
Oh that is EASY...the CORNYNATION!!!

See the website below for info....sooooo funny you just can't believe it!

Cornyation 2008 - The Raunchiest, Cheapest Event of Fiesta San Antonio

Remember, it ALL goes to charity!
I can't figure out what Cornyation is? I went to the link and read about it, getting tickets; seating; sponsors and so on....but what actually happens there? Is it a play? A variety show? "Splain it to me"!

DH and I were figuring it would be comparable to our "Derby Festival" (the 2 week celebration leading up to the Kentucky Derby) which is one of our favorite times of the year in KY. (aka, Big Party)

Old 03-13-2008, 04:09 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,814 posts, read 33,128,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojokitty View Post
For someone who is not from SA...what is the big flipping deal about Fiesta???? I swear people go nuts over this...holiday? celebration?
It's OK not to like Fiesta. I understand it just fine, but there's nothing about Fiesta that appeals to me. I don't like drinking to excess or being around people who drink too much, and I have little interest in parades. Almost every event is held in a place that you have to pay to park. If I have little interest in an event in the first place, paying to park at it is a definite dealkiller.

Until a couple of years ago when Mrs. Bowie dragged me to the Art Fair, I had quite intentionally avoided all Fiesta events.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio