U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2017, 11:48 PM

7,002 posts, read 10,277,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
Sorry L210. I forgot you speak for most, if not all black women in San Antonio. OP disregard my two cents in this thread and listen to L210.
That's not what I said, but feel free to put words in my mouth. I just find it funny when non-black people try to speak for black people and dismiss the opinion of an actual black person. How many black women do you have in your family? How many black friends and coworkers have you discussed this topic with? If you've talked about this with a lot of black women, then maybe you would have some credibility.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2017, 10:13 AM

5,286 posts, read 4,154,807 times
I think San Antonio is a welcoming city for blacks, but a simple comparison of demographics will show you that it's likely not as welcoming as Houston and Dallas are.

Old 08-21-2017, 10:01 AM

7,629 posts, read 14,374,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melz222 View Post
Which city do you think would be best for someone like me. I'm a single mom of a toddler girl. I'm looking to relocate, my cities of choice is Dallas, Houston, or San Antonio but I'm looking more at Dallas or San Antonio. I consider myself to be a young black professional. I'm educated both bachelor and master's degree. I want good neighborhoods, good schools, but also entertainment and night life. I will need to make new friends and would like to get into the dating scene again hopefully get married. Any suggestions. I'm originally from NYC.
Perhaps since we don't know your profession, it would be better you did both a cost of living comparison and a job search in your field against each of the places you are considering to see if that might help influence your choice. Commute times, traffic and housing affordable very greatly depending on when and where you chose.

As far as being a black single parent, lots of military folks here in SA, so we see lots and lots of diversity. Dallas and Houston do not have as many military people since no bases in either city, but I personally would avoid Houston. AS a single parent, I would not want to have to worry about the hurricane evacuations and potential damage. Yes, we get storms in SA and Dallas, but man, last hurricane evac it took my Aunt and Uncle 20 hours to get to SA from Houston for safety because the hurricane evac routes get TOTALLY CLOGGED and unless that is something you can deal with, certainly something to consider.....Best of luck in your choice, I think you will like Texas!

If I can ask, what made you consider 3 places in TX given your from NYC???

Old 08-21-2017, 01:44 PM

55 posts, read 51,663 times
Actually, I read that black women struggle with dating in San Antonio which is a little disappointing but I want to raise my daughter in a good neighborhood with good schools. I want some peace and quiet. At the same time, when I want to go out, I don't want to be bored out of my mind.

With that said, I lot of people have urge me to push toward Houston over the other two cities. From what I hear, all four metropolitan cities are growing at a fast rate. Major companies are moving into San Antonio. I feel like San Antonio is like a quiet storm. In a few years, there should be an influx of people from all backgrounds especially if jobs increase. I feel like it's only a matter of time before you see an increase of all races especially blacks in San Antonio. I could be wrong but please correct me if you think not.

Old 08-21-2017, 01:45 PM

I guess I can agree. I guess it's just a matter of demographics. There are definitely more blacks in Dallas and Houston. But do you think the black population will increase in a few years?

Old 08-21-2017, 01:58 PM

5,629 posts, read 6,439,908 times
Quote:
Actually, I read that black women struggle with dating in San Antonio which is a little disappointing but I want to raise my daughter in a good neighborhood with good schools. I want some peace and quiet. At the same time, when I want to go out, I don't want to be bored out of my mind.

With that said, I lot of people have urge me to push toward Houston over the other two cities. From what I hear, all four metropolitan cities are growing at a fast rate. Major companies are moving into San Antonio. I feel like San Antonio is like a quiet storm. In a few years, there should be an influx of people from all backgrounds especially if jobs increase. I feel like it's only a matter of time before you see an increase of all races especially blacks in San Antonio. I could be wrong but please correct me if you think not.
You are going to see an increase in the population of San Antonio for sure and along with that will be an increase in the black population. I don't know if the blacks will make up majority of that increase though.

Old 08-21-2017, 02:04 PM

18,627 posts, read 27,042,193 times
Quote:
I guess I can agree. I guess it's just a matter of demographics. There are definitely more blacks in Dallas and Houston. But do you think the black population will increase in a few years?
I don't see it. Not like a Houston or Dallas. The Houston metro has around 1.3 million blacks. DFW metro has around 1.25 million blacks. San Antonio has about 155,000 blacks. Both Houston and DFW black populations have grown by nearly 300,000 already this decade. I don't ever see San Antonio ever being that attractive for Blacks. It's welcoming. Many are there due to military and stay there. But it's not on the radar for most Black people though like Houston and DFW are.

Old 08-21-2017, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
Perhaps since we don't know your profession, it would be better you did both a cost of living comparison and a job search in your field against each of the places you are considering to see if that might help influence your choice. Commute times, traffic and housing affordable very greatly depending on when and where you chose.

As far as being a black single parent, lots of military folks here in SA, so we see lots and lots of diversity. Dallas and Houston do not have as many military people since no bases in either city, but I personally would avoid Houston. AS a single parent, I would not want to have to worry about the hurricane evacuations and potential damage. Yes, we get storms in SA and Dallas, but man, last hurricane evac it took my Aunt and Uncle 20 hours to get to SA from Houston for safety because the hurricane evac routes get TOTALLY CLOGGED and unless that is something you can deal with, certainly something to consider.....Best of luck in your choice, I think you will like Texas!

If I can ask, what made you consider 3 places in TX given your from NYC???
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I don't see it. Not like a Houston or Dallas. The Houston metro has around 1.3 million blacks. DFW metro has around 1.25 million blacks. San Antonio has about 155,000 blacks. Both Houston and DFW black populations have grown by nearly 300,000 already this decade. I don't ever see San Antonio ever being that attractive for Blacks. It's welcoming. Many are there due to military and stay there. But it's not on the radar for most Black people though like Houston and DFW are.
Thanks for your input Spade. I will consider that as well. I'm seeking work in Dallas, Houston, and San Antonio but I was attractive to San Antonio because it appears to be more family oriented. I like the diversity in Houston and Dallas but I'll see where my opportunities lead me.

Old 08-21-2017, 02:42 PM

1,040 posts, read 518,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
That's not what I said, but feel free to put words in my mouth. I just find it funny when non-black people try to speak for black people and dismiss the opinion of an actual black person. How many black women do you have in your family? How many black friends and coworkers have you discussed this topic with? If you've talked about this with a lot of black women, then maybe you would have some credibility.
Amen. I've known quite a few young, single black women who were in San Antonio either for job or family purposes over the years.

Every single one of them has left - most to Houston, Dallas, DC or Atlanta. Specifically citing the lack of dating options. This is also true of my entire black female grad school cohort in Austin (and myself as well). Central Texas, if you're black and want to date blacks, is not even close to Houston or Dallas in any way shape or form.

But non-black people will swear it's awesome lol.

Old 08-21-2017, 03:10 PM

5,629 posts, read 6,439,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post

But non-black people will swear it's awesome lol.
Give me some examples...surely you can find some non-black people here using the word "awesome" or was that just part of the story?

I certainly don't think SA is awesome....if anything...safe and boring comes to my mind. Urban sprawl where everyone is spaced far apart. It is a family town. I would choose SA over Houston or Dallas any day but for different reasons...none of which has to do with dating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or