Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2017, 03:27 PM

1,647 posts, read 2,061,893 times

Advertisements

Maybe the OP doesn't want to date other black people. Why not another race? I dated women from many different races before I got married. I don't see the black population increasing dramatically over the next few years, not more than any other race. It's strongly Latino/White here and will likely remain that way.

Last edited by Pancho-Villa; 08-21-2017 at 03:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2017, 10:27 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,470,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melz222 View Post
Thanks for your input Spade. I will consider that as well. I'm seeking work in Dallas, Houston, and San Antonio but I was attractive to San Antonio because it appears to be more family oriented. I like the diversity in Houston and Dallas but I'll see where my opportunities lead me.
Most moderate to large cities and metro areas have decent places to raise children. If you don't want to live in Dallas or Houston, then the suburbs are always an option. You just have to determine what's most important to you, but I don't think you have to compromise on family life if you happen to choose Dallas or Houston.

Your profession also matters. San Antonio will be better for some professions and Houston and Dallas will be better for others. If your professional opportunities are limited and wages are low, then it doesn't really matter if a city has a quieter family life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancho-Villa View Post
Maybe the OP doesn't want to date other black people. Why not another race? I dated women from many different races before I got married. I don't see the black population increasing dramatically over the next few years, not more than any other race. It's strongly Latino/White here and will likely remain that way.
San Antonio is great for interracial dating if you're white or Hispanic. Black men seem to also have a much easier time than black women dating interracially in San Antonio. However, I've known a few black men from Houston and other more diverse parts of Texas who came to San Antonio for a job opportunity and ended up being miserable due to the lack of diversity in cultural options. I think living in an ethnically diverse city helps due to exposure and normalization; I had a Hispanic friend who said he had an easier time dating black women in Dallas. Dating black women in San Antonio still seems to be somewhat taboo; many, many white and Hispanic men in San Antonio are vocal about not wanting to date black women. I've also had bizarre experiences with people giving my date and me strange looks and treating us as if we were just friends as if they've never seen a black woman date a white or Hispanic man before. I almost can't blame them because it's not a very common sight in the city.

Last edited by L210; 08-21-2017 at 10:47 PM..

Old 08-22-2017, 08:03 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,765,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I don't see it. Not like a Houston or Dallas. The Houston metro has around 1.3 million blacks. DFW metro has around 1.25 million blacks. San Antonio has about 155,000 blacks. Both Houston and DFW black populations have grown by nearly 300,000 already this decade. I don't ever see San Antonio ever being that attractive for Blacks. It's welcoming. Many are there due to military and stay there. But it's not on the radar for most Black people though like Houston and DFW are.
Hey. Where did you get this information from? I would like to see this.

Old 08-22-2017, 03:31 PM

20,512 posts, read 33,510,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Hey. Where did you get this information from? I would like to see this.
Which part?

Old 08-22-2017, 10:17 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,765,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Which part?
The 1.3 million for Houston and the 300,000 growth

Old 08-24-2017, 09:57 AM

16 posts, read 22,910 times
I moved from San Antonio to Houston definitely for the lack successful black professionals and lack of quality black male dating options. Houston, then Dallas, would be the best options. SA is nice to raise a family though, but lacks diverse entertainment options.

I later moved to NYC. Diversity and economic opportunity is even greater. Moved to burbs for family, but winters are so cold.

Old 08-25-2017, 02:10 PM

20,512 posts, read 33,510,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
The 1.3 million for Houston and the 300,000 growth
factfinder.

Old 08-27-2017, 05:55 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,446,448 times
Quote:
Thanks for your input Spade. I will consider that as well. I'm seeking work in Dallas, Houston, and San Antonio but I was attractive to San Antonio because it appears to be more family oriented. I like the diversity in Houston and Dallas but I'll see where my opportunities lead me.
Kinda wonder which way you might be leaning now after watching the events of hurricane Harvey play out....still leaning towards Houston????

Old 09-01-2017, 11:43 AM

89 posts, read 151,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
Kinda wonder which way you might be leaning now after watching the events of hurricane Harvey play out....still leaning towards Houston????
Leaning towards Dallas. I can't imagine facing a Hurricane that can cause damage like that.

Old 09-01-2017, 03:52 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,470,334 times
Quote:
Leaning towards Dallas. I can't imagine facing a Hurricane that can cause damage like that.
That seems like the best option in Texas imo. The black people in your Dallas thread pretty much agree with me and other black people in this thread. But, if you're really looking for the cheapest metropolitan area that is on the larger side, that would be El Paso. However, the economic opportunities aren't all that great, and it's even less ethnically diverse than San Antonio.

I will disagree with the people in the Dallas thread on how expensive Dallas and Houston are. They are coming from the Texas perspective, but those two areas are a lot cheaper than New York, New Jersey, California, and a lot of other places on the east and west coasts. The only major metro area in Texas I would consider expensive is Austin, but even Austin is a lot cheaper than California and the Northeast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio