Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 10:53 AM

4,796 posts, read 15,366,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMP View Post
I think what Dover was saying is that others, who have the mass marketed american consumerism, like to have places that are different and are showing fustration of people getting excited for a place like RT.
Listen....Dover was not saying that. Dover was condescending and arrogant. When insulting words and mannerisms dominate the topic, then it's nullifies any civil discussion.

The topic is not about CHAIN restaurants. It's about Red Robin or to stay on topic..... (Um...Ruby Tuesday! thanks Linda!) We had a plethora of "chain restaurant" topics in the forum.

It's important to keep in mind that San Antonio is growing by leaps and bounds. Many of the new areas don't have restaurants, hospital clinics, dry cleaners etc and many other businesses to support the area they live in. If a new restaurant opens that can serve the community, it's generally welcomed. It doesnt HAVE to be some fab veggie/trendy mom and pop run biz to be successful. So save the "chain restaurant" remarks for another topic....or go back and rehash it all in one of the many old threads.

For wiw....Dime Box Texas might be holding a community party if they got a Dairy Queen. Just look at the big picture instead of looking down your nose.
San Antonio has plenty of wonderful restaurants that are not chains....and surely more will come. Chicago certainly isn't without it's share of McDonalds or Fridays!

Last edited by wCat; 05-07-2009 at 11:12 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2009, 10:59 AM

2,260 posts, read 5,616,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
Listen....Dover was not saying that. Dover was condescending and arrogant. When insulting words and mannerisms dominate the topic, then it's nullifies any civil discussion.

The topic is not about CHAIN restaurants. It's about Red Robin. We had a plethora of "chain restaurant" topics in the forum.

It's important to keep in mind that San Antonio is growing by leaps and bounds. Many of the new areas don't have restaurants, hospital clinics, dry cleaners etc and many other businesses to support the area they live in. If a new restaurant opens that can serve the community, it's generally welcomed. It doesnt HAVE to be some fab veggie/trendy mom and pop run biz to be successful. So save the "chain restaurant" remarks for another topic....or go back and rehash it all in one of the many old threads.

For wiw....Dime Box Texas might be holding a community party if they got a Dairy Queen. Just look at the big picture instead of looking down your nose.
San Antonio has plenty of wonderful restaurants that are not chains....and surely more will come. Chicago certainly isn't without it's share of McDonalds or Fridays!
Or Ruby Tuesday.

Also, I grew up in a town without a single fast food or chain restaurant. We had four restaurants, all of them mom-and-pop, owned by local people. (Hey, in a town of 900 people, four restaurants of ANY type is pretty good!)

And honestly, I think that's where my fast food/chain restaurant snobbery comes from. I will ALWAYS choose the mom-and-pop over fast food/chain.

That being said, I don't really care where anyone else eats, or why they make the restaurant choices they make.

Old 05-07-2009, 11:13 AM

Fixed it! Thanks for the catch!

Old 05-07-2009, 11:28 AM

2,260 posts, read 5,616,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcat View Post
fixed it! Thanks for the catch!
np.

Old 05-07-2009, 11:44 AM

1,848 posts, read 4,683,716 times
Hmm, so places like Ruby Tuesday and Red Robin are easily interchangeable.

Here is a funny chain story...

We were in Scottsdale last year, asked the consierge at the hotel for a dinner recommendation...she told us PF Changs

edit-I wanted to add my opinion on the difference between a chain and a concept restaurant.
Ruby Tuesday = chain. Jaspers = concept (3 other locations, all in TX).
Fogo de Chao = concept (only 16 nationwide)

Now Jaspers and Fogo coming to town, that is pretty neat - the previous being way more exciting!

Last edited by cr1039; 05-07-2009 at 12:25 PM..

Old 05-07-2009, 11:59 AM

284 posts, read 759,216 times
It CRACKED ME UP when SA went "wild" over PF Changs after it first opened. Good grief.

Old 05-07-2009, 12:24 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
Well, I apologize if I hurt poor Ruby Tuesday's feelings. I didn't know they were such a sensitive lot.

Old 05-07-2009, 03:25 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,780,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripshin View Post
It CRACKED ME UP when SA went "wild" over PF Changs after it first opened. Good grief.
I know, it was exactly how Dallas and Houston reacted over PF. What's even more funny is how EXCITED and I mean EXCITED WILD Dallas people were when Central Market opened. Strange. By strange I mean, from your post you'd think SA was the only place on planet earth that gets "wild" for certain openings.

Old 05-07-2009, 03:37 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,389,899 times
are we importing the haters now or what? I have always wanted to try Ruby Tuesdays, so I am glad it is opening. That is my opinion and anyone that disagrees with it can pass on by because your opinion of my opinion will never be asked for or cared about nor will any sleep be lost over it.

BTW, when you name call it's an automatic

Old 05-07-2009, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Well, I apologize if I hurt poor Ruby Tuesday's feelings. I didn't know they were such a sensitive lot.
Possibly apologizing for being a jerk might bode well with the members. I seriously doubt Ruby Tuesday cares about your opinion. Especially the folks opening the one about 1200+ miles from you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio