U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2011, 10:47 AM

5,635 posts, read 14,000,771 times

Advertisements

Of course this is the most popular thread in San Antonio...go figure...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2011, 06:51 PM

14 posts, read 32,907 times
The family and I paid a visit to La Gloria a couple of weeks ago. We thought the food was good. I ordered the Pescado Baja Califas tacos, which are battered fish tacos. My son had the Bistec (steak) mini tacos. These were just alright, you can definitely find better elsewhere. My wife had the Dorados de Pollo Verde tacos. To us, these were the winners and were very tasty. They prices are a little steep in my opinion, compared to the portion size you receive. They orders come with 3 tacos and no sides. Everything is a la carte. I'll admit, I'm a big guy and after finishing the tacos, still felt a little hungry. Overall, I would recommend for someone to try it out once. It's in a nice location, the restaurant has a modern/hip feel to it, staff was friendly, and the food was good, just a little overpriced.

Old 02-05-2011, 07:50 PM

14 posts, read 18,664 times
I was disappointed to see that the old space Cafeggio coffee used to occupy (Stone Oak & Huebner) is being re-opened as another Mexican place.
Also, I agree with the poster who said a rough crowd seems to hang out at the Cielito Lindo bar/club I don't plan to return. I also don't wear jeans tight enough to fit in!

Old 02-07-2011, 08:25 AM

490 posts, read 972,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookiemeister View Post
Has anyone eaten at La Gloria at the Pearl Brewry... worst food I think I have ever had... really.
I am sympathetic to those that don't like La Gloria's food (although in my previous posts I attributed that to artificially high expectations), but it is a far stretch to declare it the worst food ever--akin to describing McDonald's as "the best food I have ever had". That's just outrageous!

Old 02-07-2011, 12:14 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,347,188 times
La Gloria: Overrated. It's got a great location and tons of folks convinced that their 'street food' concept is authentic. It's not. That being said, you can find worse food in town.

Lindo: I liked it when it first opened and didn't try to be something it wasn't. Their food was solid, the service was spot on. Being truly 'hip' is somewhat tough when you're really just schlepping it to a strip mall in overpriced jeans and a not-yet-paid-off Mercedes. I was sad to hear that they went the route of becoming more of a club.

BN

Old 02-07-2011, 04:19 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,836 posts, read 33,283,397 times
Some off topic posts above were deleted.

Let's stick more tightly in this thread to discussing restaurants that have just opened or closed in the last two months. Use either the "restaurant chat" thread or a thread dedicated to the restaurant for providing your opinion on places that have been open for longer than that.

No matter when the restaurant opened, this is not the place to offer personal observations about the reviewer. That will always be off topic in any thread.

Old 02-08-2011, 06:54 AM

1,066 posts, read 3,193,594 times
I noticed the Whataburger is the Medical Center closed (Medical and Fred rd). This was a unique drive- thru only location (it took over a Graffitti's/Rallys site).
With the Med Center, this location was always very busy, I am wondering if they are going knock it down and rebuild a new whataburger or if they are going to take over the the large site across the street at the recently closed down Brake Check?

Old 02-09-2011, 07:55 AM

1,642 posts, read 3,570,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pachuco2 View Post
I noticed today that the Podna's Catfish & Poboys on Austin Hwy has "Closed" on their sign,...never got to try it, but the parking lot was always full at lunch time.
No new news, but PODNAS still has "closed" up on their sign marquee. Looks like it's down.

If you need a poboy/catfish fix in the area, I recommend D'S JERK at Rittamin inside 35, they are only open for lunch though

Old 02-09-2011, 09:31 AM

464 posts, read 663,918 times
Pasha is supposed to be opening another location either in or near the Aziz Oriental Rugs off Loop 1604 in Sonterra. I will try and get more details and post them here.

Old 02-09-2011, 09:34 AM

574 posts, read 1,166,774 times
Podna's closed for good...damn, just damn! I never got a chance to get a shrimp & roast beef po' boy. Their closing seems so sudden, since a few weeks back they were telling me they had Super Bowl catering available.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or