U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2012, 09:28 PM

100 posts, read 179,264 times

Advertisements

Tejacienda review:

Very interesting place, and not your typical restaurant. The entrance makes it look like you're walking more into a high-end home than a restaurant. You open a large iron door and you're looking into a hallway, and at the end it splits into the restaurant on the left and a bar on the right. The hostess desk is in the center, and they did well design-wise to include a large window that looks into the kitchen.

I didn't actually go into the bar, but from what I could see from that hallway, it looked nice.

The restaurant section is very open, with patio seating outside. To be honest, I didn't pay that much attention to the decor, but I remember being pleased with the looks. We sat at a booth by a wall, with what I think was a real granite tabletop. The walls were painted with a nice earthy faux finish.

On to the important stuff (the food!):

Drinks: My wife and I both ordered margaritas. They were good, but small. Strength-wise, they were medium. My general preference for margaritas is the stronger and the larger the better, while these were more of the smaller, top shelf variety. This was the only aspect of the restaurant that I thought was below average, but of course that's just personal preference.

Appetizer: I got the queso fundido. We both liked it. My only recent comparison is the queso fundido at Taco Paraiso on 1604, and they were very different. This one had more of a focus on the sauce and accompany mushrooms/veggies, where as the one at Taco Paraiso was all about the cheese.

Entrees: My wife got the fire roasted hatch enchiladas, and I had some as well. It's from the Tex-Mex section of the menu, but it's not the normal Tex-Mex you find around here. The best comparison I can make is Rosario's -- yes, it's Tex-Mex, but they're using some different spices to make it a different experience.

I had the Molcajete. I picked it because I'm a standard American wuss who doesn't like spicy food, and it was one of the few things on the menu that didn't mention the words "hot" or "spicy." Turns out it's quite spicy, so it wasn't my thing. Aside from that issue, it was exceptionally tasty, and they put who-knows-what types of different spices on it. It was a unique taste, unlike any Mexican I've had before.

My overall thoughts: Great!! The restaurant is unique, which is something I think we were all hoping for. The fact that it's between a McDonald's and a What-a-burger borders on surreal, like you're in a little black hole of the universe where something that doesn't seem like it quite belongs. But the restaurant clearly went out of its way to make the experience at least a little different, and I do recommend that everyone tries it. Because it's so atypical, there's really no way I can say if you'll like it, you'd just have to find out for yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2012, 09:08 AM

1,097 posts, read 1,798,294 times
what are they building behind Sherlocks..further down thousand oaks by do-nut palace?

Old 07-28-2012, 11:17 AM

2,355 posts, read 5,404,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Meh... Went there with friends on Friday late evening ( 7 PM ). We were the only guests there.
Food was healthy and fresh but terribly bland. Caramelized onions in Greek salad?
Chicken was dry and beef kebabs was bland and salty. Tomato bisque was ok. Roasted veggies were great and so was hibiscus tea. So far I am not impressed, but will be back to check other menu items.
BTW: not all items on the menu are healthy ( chicken/tuna/egg salads with mayo, grilled sandwiches with a lot of cheese, humus ).
Thanks for the review was thinking about going there.

Old 07-28-2012, 11:18 AM

2,355 posts, read 5,404,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachBForThree View Post
Tejacienda review:

Very interesting place, and not your typical restaurant. The entrance makes it look like you're walking more into a high-end home than a restaurant. You open a large iron door and you're looking into a hallway, and at the end it splits into the restaurant on the left and a bar on the right. The hostess desk is in the center, and they did well design-wise to include a large window that looks into the kitchen.

I didn't actually go into the bar, but from what I could see from that hallway, it looked nice.

The restaurant section is very open, with patio seating outside. To be honest, I didn't pay that much attention to the decor, but I remember being pleased with the looks. We sat at a booth by a wall, with what I think was a real granite tabletop. The walls were painted with a nice earthy faux finish.

On to the important stuff (the food!):

Drinks: My wife and I both ordered margaritas. They were good, but small. Strength-wise, they were medium. My general preference for margaritas is the stronger and the larger the better, while these were more of the smaller, top shelf variety. This was the only aspect of the restaurant that I thought was below average, but of course that's just personal preference.

Appetizer: I got the queso fundido. We both liked it. My only recent comparison is the queso fundido at Taco Paraiso on 1604, and they were very different. This one had more of a focus on the sauce and accompany mushrooms/veggies, where as the one at Taco Paraiso was all about the cheese.

Entrees: My wife got the fire roasted hatch enchiladas, and I had some as well. It's from the Tex-Mex section of the menu, but it's not the normal Tex-Mex you find around here. The best comparison I can make is Rosario's -- yes, it's Tex-Mex, but they're using some different spices to make it a different experience.

I had the Molcajete. I picked it because I'm a standard American wuss who doesn't like spicy food, and it was one of the few things on the menu that didn't mention the words "hot" or "spicy." Turns out it's quite spicy, so it wasn't my thing. Aside from that issue, it was exceptionally tasty, and they put who-knows-what types of different spices on it. It was a unique taste, unlike any Mexican I've had before.

My overall thoughts: Great!! The restaurant is unique, which is something I think we were all hoping for. The fact that it's between a McDonald's and a What-a-burger borders on surreal, like you're in a little black hole of the universe where something that doesn't seem like it quite belongs. But the restaurant clearly went out of its way to make the experience at least a little different, and I do recommend that everyone tries it. Because it's so atypical, there's really no way I can say if you'll like it, you'd just have to find out for yourself.
Just wondering can you give us a range of prices.

Old 07-28-2012, 02:01 PM

7,629 posts, read 14,337,726 times
There are TWO hidden jewels in SA downtown/Brack area that people should know about....the first on is Kings Frankfurter Court at 111 Kings Ct (the BEST dogs in SA....and what an EXTENSIVE "dress it up bar" to add free toppings!!!!), and right next to it, the Candlelight Coffee House and Bar....both inside and outside dining available.

We find BOTH worth the drive....just off of St Marys St exit from 281 headed North....take St Marys to the LEFT and 2 blocks down. WONDERFUL little "mom and pop" places that offer such great food, fun and atmosphere. PLEASE try them both!!!! You will NOT be disappointed!

Old 07-29-2012, 08:54 AM

3,740 posts, read 3,840,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
There are TWO hidden jewels in SA downtown/Brack area that people should know about....the first on is Kings Frankfurter Court at 111 Kings Ct (the BEST dogs in SA....and what an EXTENSIVE "dress it up bar" to add free toppings!!!!), and right next to it, the Candlelight Coffee House and Bar....both inside and outside dining available.

We find BOTH worth the drive....just off of St Marys St exit from 281 headed North....take St Marys to the LEFT and 2 blocks down. WONDERFUL little "mom and pop" places that offer such great food, fun and atmosphere. PLEASE try them both!!!! You will NOT be disappointed!
I absolutely love Candlelight's brunch but you need to get in early or you will be waiting for few hours for your food. Then again. then again there are endless mamosa's while you wait.

Old 07-29-2012, 09:32 AM

7,629 posts, read 14,337,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
I absolutely love Candlelight's brunch but you need to get in early or you will be waiting for few hours for your food. Then again. then again there are endless mamosa's while you wait.
TOTALLY!!! Great minds think alike!
Such a hidden jewel I almost hate to share it with others...but don't want to see those that appreciate great places left out!

Old 07-29-2012, 09:52 AM

3,770 posts, read 7,274,116 times
Has anyone eaten at Marianito's Extreme Tex-Mex Grill on Bandera (78228)? Drove past it today and thinking about checking it out.

Old 07-30-2012, 05:59 PM

100 posts, read 179,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsatx View Post
Just wondering can you give us a range of prices (on Tejacienda).
Unfortunately I don't remember the specifics, but I remember thinking it was just slightly more than the typical Mexican restaurant price. It's certainly not "expensive," but it's definitely not one of those cheap Chacho's style places either.

Old 07-30-2012, 08:33 PM

944 posts, read 1,578,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnts71 View Post
what are they building behind Sherlocks..further down thousand oaks by do-nut palace?
I believe it's a bank. Btw that donut place has nice ppl working there but their donuts and kolaches are really bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or