Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2015, 01:02 PM

2 posts, read 2,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Forest View Post
And at Loehmann Village and Alamo Ranch next to Wok Inn.
The Alamo Ranch location closed a few months ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2015, 01:40 PM

915 posts, read 1,903,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Forest View Post
Deep Dish Nachos $9.00
Tortilla Chips, Refried Beans, Cheddar Cheese, Black Olives, Jalapeños, Pico De Gallo.

Add Grilled Chicken, Bacon or BBQ Brisket For $3 Each

looks like they did. deep dish nachos? please go home and come back with the Chicago eats we crave.

Old 04-07-2015, 02:56 PM

4,433 posts, read 5,343,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebtx View Post
looks like they did. deep dish nachos? please go home and come back with the Chicago eats we crave.
Judging by the reviews they have both...

Old 04-07-2015, 03:19 PM

6,705 posts, read 8,771,270 times
My boss who is originally from Chicago was very excited about Gino's East and said it was pretty much like he remembered it "back in Chicago".

I am not a fan of deep dish pizza but I am willing to try it once since it is down Fredericksburg rd from me.

Old 04-08-2015, 05:57 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,096,265 times
Speisen has closed.

North Central restaurant Speisen closes - San Antonio Express-News

Old 04-08-2015, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
My boss who is originally from Chicago was very excited about Gino's East and said it was pretty much like he remembered it "back in Chicago".

I am not a fan of deep dish pizza but I am willing to try it once since it is down Fredericksburg rd from me.
So I had a chance to go to Ginos. Not impressed at all. Server was nice but overwhelmed. Three times someone brought appetizers or pizza to our table that we did not order before we finally got our pizza (we ordered thin crust because we didn't want to wait an hour for the deep dish).

Pizza didn't taste good to either me or my friend.

If I want good overpriced pizza, I will go to Naples by Alon HEB.

Old 04-08-2015, 07:54 PM

1,032 posts, read 874,442 times
Quote:
So I had a chance to go to Ginos. Not impressed at all. Server was nice but overwhelmed. Three times someone brought appetizers or pizza to our table that we did not order before we finally got our pizza (we ordered thin crust because we didn't want to wait an hour for the deep dish).

I feared this would be the case

Ginos amazingness comes from the original oven at the first location. It's why the original Unos is still the best deep dish in the world. When both places chained out, they lost what made them great

Old 04-09-2015, 07:31 AM

4,433 posts, read 5,343,648 times
Quote:

Quote:

They are known for deep dish not thin pizzas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantBaby View Post

Ginos amazingness comes from the original oven at the first location. It's why the original Unos is still the best deep dish in the world. When both places chained out, they lost what made them great
This happens with most restaurants, but apparently the posters boss from Chicago loved it.

Old 04-09-2015, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantBaby View Post

Look at the online reviews of the location in Houston that has been open a bit longer. Going downhill. 2.5 rating out of 112 reviews on yelp (score for the location is terrible even on Urbanspoon at 44%) I only saw 12 reviews for the San Antonio location on yelp at this point since they just opened last week. Base on my own experience, I wouldn't be surprised if they get mediocre reviews in the future also.

Just because they are known for deep dish pizza doesn't mean the thin crust pizza has to taste like cardboard with pizza sauce on it. The ONLY thing I liked was the caprese jar salad but it would be pretty hard to mess that one up.

I really wanted to like this place and might even be willing to give it another try once the crowds die down a bit.

Old 04-09-2015, 02:50 PM

4,132 posts, read 7,192,109 times
Quote:
Look at the online reviews of the location in Houston that has been open a bit longer. Going downhill. 2.5 rating out of 112 reviews on yelp (score for the location is terrible even on Urbanspoon at 44%) I only saw 12 reviews for the San Antonio location on yelp at this point since they just opened last week. Base on my own experience, I wouldn't be surprised if they get mediocre reviews in the future also.

Just because they are known for deep dish pizza doesn't mean the thin crust pizza has to taste like cardboard with pizza sauce on it. The ONLY thing I liked was the caprese jar salad but it would be pretty hard to mess that one up.

I really wanted to like this place and might even be willing to give it another try once the crowds die down a bit.
And they lose the Mexican food. Trying to be everything to everyone just doesn't work in this case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio