U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2015, 04:42 PM

4,089 posts, read 6,110,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
Think I'm about to cry. The warden and I were out and about when I decided it was an old Tip Top Cafe kinda day. As usual the place was loaded We got seated and that's when we started seeing differences. No guys to bring you your drinks, no bus boys either. The twin sisters were no where to be seen and the staff was all new faces. Looking thru the pass thru where the groceries come out, all new folks in there too.....this can't be good we thought. Got the menu and guess what- it's new too and so are the prices. Their chicken fried steak that has kept the doors open on this place for decades is now $11.69, a little pricey considering there are no dancing girls. The wife only had a baked potato, no drink, while I had tea. The bill was just short of 20 bucks. I have no issues paying for good food but the chicken fried steak was like the menu- new. Yeah, it's bigger but I had to add ketchup so there was some flavor on the plate. Frankly, nothing tasted right or the same including the tea which was sweetened with beet sugar-blah!. So now they take credit cards but no checks. Now they are open on Mondays. Almost sounds like it's under new management. I have no clue but if Linda thought this was a better idea, she was wrong. I doubt we go back anymore. I'm a chicken fried steak kinda guy, no doubt, and there was a time I'd drive across town to sit down at Tip Top for one but frankly, I wouldn't drive across the street for what I just had. The CFS is far better at Chilis and it's miles closer. May be the new location is better but my money says this place will be history in 2 years.
TrapperL I'm in full agreement with you...I've been a few times and have always had the same thought that this place has been sliding by on it's reputation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2015, 02:03 PM

7,629 posts, read 14,388,006 times
I'm afraid I have to agree as well. We go there maybe 4 times a year for the fried shrimp....it has ALWAYS been the same, and wonderful. I totally understand the price increases in the shrimp, but the last 2 times we went, it was nothing to write home about and certainly not up to the old standards. To make matters worse, we waited aprox 35 minutes BOTH times!!!!

I have even been to the new one on the North side, and it too was not up to the old standards....something has changed with Tip Top and, unfortunately, not for the better.

Old 10-13-2015, 10:03 AM

3,752 posts, read 3,876,942 times
Quote:
Dallas-based Pie Five Pizza struck a new agreement to develop eight to 10 new Pie Five locations in the San Antonio.
“Pie Five is on fire in Dallas-Fort Worth and with similar demographics, I know it will do very well in the San Antonio market too,” said Umar Ibrahim, Pie Five’s San Antonio franchise partner. “I really did my homework on the fast-casual pizza segment and found that Pie Five offered a value and service proposition that was hard to beat.”
http://www.bizjournals.com/sanantoni...n-for-san.html

Urban Bricks Pizza will be put in at the SE corner of Culebra and 1604.

Old 10-13-2015, 10:11 AM

557 posts, read 401,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
http://www.bizjournals.com/sanantoni...n-for-san.html

Urban Bricks Pizza will be put in at the SE corner of Culebra and 1604.
Any investor who publicly says 'it'll do very well' is tempting fate.

Do all the market research you want: It usually amounts of zip when it comes to the flighty attitudes of those with discretionary income. As with everything in life, time will tell

Old 10-20-2015, 10:40 AM

2,651 posts, read 6,525,976 times
Raising cane's is opening a new location at Austin highway and Harry wurzbach.

Old 10-22-2015, 01:01 AM

4,089 posts, read 6,110,611 times
Firehouse Subs has opened a new store @7431 NW Loop 410, Suite 111 78245. In the area of LA Fitness & Cheddars. No more driving to Huebner & Babcock....yahoo....

Old 10-26-2015, 03:49 PM

874 posts, read 1,166,364 times
Del Taco is closing all their locations in Texas. Sure didn't last long!

Old 10-26-2015, 04:35 PM

1,882 posts, read 2,326,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustybolt View Post
Del Taco is closing all their locations in Texas. Sure didn't last long!
I for one won't miss it.
Before they came to San Antonio, I was driving home from Austin early one morning, and spotted the sign off the side of the hwy. Had the munchies and remembered people talking about it on here, so had to try it.
Confusing menu.
Got some kind of burrito looking thing and a couple tacos. Can't recall what kind.
By the time I got to New Braunfels, my stomach was making noises that could only be taken as a warning sign of what to come. I prayed to God that morning. We'll leave it at that.
Never ever thought I would choose Taco Bell over ANY other place to eat.

Old 10-26-2015, 04:59 PM

2,651 posts, read 6,525,976 times
Pollo tropical is opening a new location next to the windcrest in n out.

Old 10-26-2015, 06:18 PM

35 posts, read 41,080 times
Little Woodrow's moved into the old Clear Springs Restaurant at 1604 and Afton Oaks. (Stone Oak)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or