Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2009, 09:52 PM

490 posts, read 1,094,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by perticusrex View Post
Not sure if this has been mentioned yet buuuuut....
Ed Tijerina reports Le Reve, SA's most recognized restaurant, is closing. http://tinyurl.com/yacgl7t
More in-depth article of the same:

Acclaimed French restaurant Le Rêve closing (http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/61581287.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2009, 11:16 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,432,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhradio View Post
Twice in the past week I have driven by Spanky's Smokehouse (which just opened at the former Hungry Farmer location a few months back) around dinnertime, and both times it was closed. Temporary retrenchment, or gone for good?

Also in the past week or two, the Hungry Horse on West Ave changed to the Republic House, going from a comfort-food joint into a higher-end "fine" food restaurant with a fancy menu and live music.
I ate at spanky's twice food was ok, nothing great. The service was ok also.

The hh is now a bar, looks like they had a good crowd earlier tonight.

Old 09-26-2009, 07:43 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,105,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perticusrex View Post
Not sure if this has been mentioned yet buuuuut....
Ed Tijerina reports Le Reve, SA's most recognized restaurant, is closing. http://tinyurl.com/yacgl7t
That story is front page news on today's paper. Gourmet magazine had ranked Le Reve the 6th best restaurant in the country at some point.

Old 09-27-2009, 03:36 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,432,752 times
Heard that champps stone oak should open in NOV, hopefully it does.

Old 09-27-2009, 04:54 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,779,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
That story is front page news on today's paper. Gourmet magazine had ranked Le Reve the 6th best restaurant in the country at some point.
He's going to The Pearl and is going to own that place with four restaurants.

I see the closing of Le Reve as the beginning of something great for SA and the Pearl.

Old 09-28-2009, 05:49 AM

1,532 posts, read 3,698,898 times
I think closing Le Reve is a terrible mistake for AW. That restaurant is fantastic and I don't know of another restaurant in town that is like it. I feel like SA has lost a notch by him closing that restaurant. I would have liked to see him move Le Reve to the Pearl and focus on that. The article I read said that LR is packed every night, so why would you close such a success? It just doesn't make sense. I told hubby that I think he wants to cut costs of food but continue to charge LR prices at his other eateries. That's my opinion of it at least.

In other AW news, we ate at the Sandbar the other night and it was the worst meal I've ever had in my life. We actually felt ill afterwards. I wish I had someone to complain to, but I don't think that I do. The fact that I saw one of the chef's drop a container of oil into the trash, pull it out of said trash, throw it on the counter where food was being prepped, use it, and then go on making food without washing his hands (after digging in the trash)...ew. That might fly behind the scenes but with an open kitchen like that one, no way. The food was over seasoned, I mean, to the point where it made me gag. Maybe it was a bad night because I've heard such great things about it. Unfortunately, I won't be going back. I'm a little nervous to try Il Sagno even though I have heard that it is fantastic.

Old 09-28-2009, 06:45 AM

616 posts, read 2,083,456 times
I did not like Il Sogno at all. This has had the effect of making me an outcast amongst my friends, all of whom rave about it.

Old 09-28-2009, 07:09 AM

399 posts, read 1,139,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg2ntst View Post
I've noticed as a general rule that most cities have lots of burger and pizza restaurants. I wonder what that means? LOL!!
It would be interesting if there was a study out there showing the percentage of restaurants based on genre. From what I see, this town has way more burger joints than most.

Old 09-28-2009, 08:15 AM

1,532 posts, read 3,698,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanor Rigby View Post
I did not like Il Sogno at all. This has had the effect of making me an outcast amongst my friends, all of whom rave about it.
Great, I want to try it but I'm a little nervous after my Sandbar experience.

Old 09-28-2009, 08:23 AM

490 posts, read 1,094,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojokitty View Post
I think closing Le Reve is a terrible mistake for AW. That restaurant is fantastic and I don't know of another restaurant in town that is like it. I feel like SA has lost a notch by him closing that restaurant. I would have liked to see him move Le Reve to the Pearl and focus on that. The article I read said that LR is packed every night, so why would you close such a success? It just doesn't make sense. I told hubby that I think he wants to cut costs of food but continue to charge LR prices at his other eateries. That's my opinion of it at least.
I'm not sure I buy the "spend more time with my family" when the restaurant is only open Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Perhaps with the other ventures collectively La Reve is more work and requires more personal attention.

Alternatively, maybe business is down and after a flurry of last minute reservations from the "I always wanted to eat there" crowd, he will magically announce a few weeks from now it is to remain open. We'll call it marketing. Does anyone know the last day?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio