U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2017, 11:08 AM

7,629 posts, read 14,388,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper1 View Post
Just gust of wind every now and then and less than 1/2 inch since it began.

Wow! As close as we live to each other and we have gotten just over 3" total
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2017, 11:11 AM

255 posts, read 357,164 times
In NW S.A. I've just experienced a couple of average midwest drizzly blustery days. I can understand why the commercially-sponsored Weather Channel would be highly resistant to give up on the promise of impending apocalypse for as wide a viewing area as possible so as not to lose viewers as we watch the storm disintegrate on radar, but yesterday's S.A. mayoral briefings were downright twisted in how disconnected they were from reality--basically parroting the Weather Channel's "hell is only beginning" forecast.

Old 08-27-2017, 01:05 PM

3,853 posts, read 1,990,370 times
Plenty of warning came before this storm. That warning was "GET OUT!"

If you live on the coast and don't have an escape plan and a Bug Out Bag packed and ready to go at the first sign of a hurricane, you shouldn't live on the coast.

Now, because of stupid people, rescuers have to risk their own lives to save the those who thought it would be fun to ride out the hurricane.

Who's paying for this but taxpayers across America. I just saw one young woman on TV, complaining because the warnings to evacuate weren't "strong enough", and now her and her children are trapped in a flooded house.... and "Somebody needs to come save us!!". Really? I live in New York State. I knew this hurricane was a big deal worthy of personal responsibility and advance evacuation.

Time after time we see this stupidity play out on our TVs. If you're able-bodied and you refuse to do anything except sit in the path of a hurricane, prepare to die. Their children should be removed by the state when this thing ends. That's if they survive.

We should only send our rescuers in only when it's safe to retrieve the bodies.

Old 08-27-2017, 02:07 PM

861 posts, read 473,977 times
Nephew's Blackhawk unit deployed to Alice yesterday and flew missions for eight hours, nonstop. Today, they're making their way to Houston, where they'll be for who knows how long.

Up on our hillside north of SA, we've gotten 5.5" and it's still raining. I think the stage one water restriction will be off as of tomorrow....

Old 08-27-2017, 02:54 PM

370 posts, read 441,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proffer View Post
In NW S.A. I've just experienced a couple of average midwest drizzly blustery days. I can understand why the commercially-sponsored Weather Channel would be highly resistant to give up on the promise of impending apocalypse for as wide a viewing area as possible so as not to lose viewers as we watch the storm disintegrate on radar, but yesterday's S.A. mayoral briefings were downright twisted in how disconnected they were from reality--basically parroting the Weather Channel's "hell is only beginning" forecast.
Any chance for our mayor to get on TV and pretend he's doing something. The geography and topography of San Antonio means hurricanes are a non-issue here. We're in a completely different situation than the low lying areas along the coast and in East Texas.

Old 08-27-2017, 03:12 PM

6,199 posts, read 8,670,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post

Now, because of stupid people, rescuers have to risk their own lives to save the those who thought it would be fun to ride out the hurricane.
I don't believe these big rescues are happening in areas like on the coast that were forecasted to get lots of bad weather; its areas like Houston that were supposed to get some rain, not all the rain like they are now that are getting rescued.

Old 08-27-2017, 04:23 PM

433 posts, read 251,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proffer View Post
This was the point I was making. The media portrayed it was an "impending apocalypse" for San Antonio. People acted insane at grocery stores. Acted like it was the Apocalypse. These impending doom stories from the media drives views. Views drives ads. Ads create revenue. The media wants to sensationalize things even when all it does is cause a panic and division. People in SA bought it hook line in sinker even though San Antonio is so far inland. I feel for those on the coast. But San Antonio? Come on guys.

As far as I know, even those east of us (like Seguin etc.), while they received a lot more rain then SA did, it wasn't the apocalypse for them either. No one died close to us in location. No one stayed trapped. No power was lost. No water was cut off. I am glad those things did not happen. If one made it to the grocery stores you may have heard the predictions and fear that was being said. That and "around the table" at work.

All that stocking up people did, what it really would have done is give those people a week or so more, maybe less if stuff really did hit the fan. If stuff really did hit the fan and say we were on the coast, everyone who went to the grocery store right before a bad event would have perished eventually but just given themselves a week or two extra. The idea is to reasonably prepare before and not act like trapped chipmunks and pack rats right before an event. All that craziness did was inconvenience every single person who has enough foresight to reasonably prepare for those things in advance.

Old 08-27-2017, 04:31 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,826 posts, read 33,236,319 times
I don't think we have any business trying to Monday-morning quarterback the choices made by government or the media in the days leading up to the storm. If the storm had made landfall and taken the same course about 150 miles farther down the coast, we would be in a similar world of hurt to the one that Houston is in right now. Given the crazy variations in the spaghetti plots we were seeing on the news in the days leading up to landfall, it is not out of the realm of possibility that San Antonio could have gotten a much harder blow from Harvey than it did. I seriously doubt that people in SA would have been any more likely to evacuate from the danger than people in Houston were.

Old 08-27-2017, 05:19 PM

7,002 posts, read 10,295,944 times
I never thought SA would be in serious danger, but being this far inland doesn't exactly protect you. Caldwell and Bastrop counties are farther north, but they're being hit pretty bad. There are mandatory evacuations in parts of Bastrop due to the flooding (I think there was also rotation and a risk of tornadoes), and Caldwell has been declared as being in a state of disaster. Just because you're a few hours from the coast does not mean you can't be devastated by a hurricane.

Old 08-27-2017, 06:08 PM

376 posts, read 290,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
I don't believe these big rescues are happening in areas like on the coast that were forecasted to get lots of bad weather; its areas like Houston that were supposed to get some rain, not all the rain like they are now that are getting rescued.
Houston knew they were going to get flooding, lots of it, but the problem there is some areas get dumped on and others stay dry. There can be some neighborhood to neighborhood evacuations, but the fact of the matter is, if the Mayor said you should evacuate but the guy across the street gets to stay in house, what kind of evac will you have?

I don't see any way for Mayor Turner to have done it differently. The neighborhood I lived in is practically dry while the rest of Rosenberg is a mess...and the Brazos won't crest for a couple more days. It is what it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio