U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 11:00 PM

13,807 posts, read 26,304,300 times

Advertisements

the cheapest gas isn't always the best deal.. I've been to a gas station that had a pump so far out of calibration that it claimed my car took more gallons than the tank could hold. I went in to complain, but the flunky inside was useless.. go figure

now I only get mine on base, which isn't always the best prices, but I know for a fact they calibrate them all the time. I paid $3.34/gallon last night for premium.. stupid turbo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2008, 07:48 AM

3,111 posts, read 8,311,951 times
I paid $3.84 for diesel yesterday. It is $3.95 by my house (not in SA)

I have been driving slower and less aggressive and it helped a lot on my mileage.

Old 03-15-2008, 09:43 AM

2,397 posts, read 5,846,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malone View Post
I paid $3.84 for diesel yesterday. It is $3.95 by my house (not in SA)

I have been driving slower and less aggressive and it helped a lot on my mileage.
When I had a diesel vehicle quite a few years ago, the fuel was less expensive than gasoline. I see now that's changed. Diesel fuel is much more expensive these days. Anyone know why?

Old 03-15-2008, 10:15 AM

8,400 posts, read 20,119,473 times
Beginning June 1, 2006, Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) rules required a reduction in the sulfur content of highway diesel fuel from the previous level of 500 parts per million (ppm) (low sulfur diesel, or LSD) to 15 ppm (Ultra LSD, or ULSD). This meant an increase in refining costs, which of course are passed on to the consumer...

More on the EPA's regulation of diesel can be found here.

Cheers! M2

Old 03-15-2008, 10:32 AM

13,807 posts, read 26,304,300 times
now you know some crazy kid is going to read that and think "I didn't know you could get LSD from diesel fuel".. I can see the headline now..

BTW, direct injection engines are becoming more popular lately. You get the high torque benefit of a diesel, but off of unleaded fuel. My engine is a turbocharged direct injection (DISI) and it get 258 lb/ft of torque from a 2.3 liter 4 cylinder.. I love it, except for the occasional torque steer issue because of its front wheel drive. Direction is also much more "gree" (even though I hate that word) and mine qualifies as an ULEV, despite the fact that it only gets about 16 MPG.. which is the down side of a gasoline DISI, no increased MPG rating like you can get with a diesel.

Old 03-15-2008, 01:20 PM

2,397 posts, read 5,846,173 times
Thanks for the explanation, Majormadmax.

Old 03-17-2008, 09:39 AM

343 posts, read 1,175,112 times
I'm buying a moped or motorcycle.

Old 03-17-2008, 10:28 AM

4,268 posts, read 8,361,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
Time for you to get a Vespa.
Or, if a Vespa is too small and you can't ride a bike or walk to work, a hybrid. I never expected for mine to pay off in that way (I bought it for other reasons), but I can't complain!

Old 03-17-2008, 02:23 PM

1,740 posts, read 5,187,430 times
Gas will be near $4.00/gallon by summer...and five dollar gas is in our future by the end of the decade. We can thank the other developing countries like China for the high demand for oil right now. This is way beyond the US economy and the middle east. Right now demand is higher than it has ever been. In 2000 - there were approximately 20 million cars in China...by 2010 there will be 200 million. Supply and demand at work here. This is why we (the US) needs to be able to drill in Alaska and develop more refineries to process the oil once we get it. High gas prices are here to stay. But in spite of the recent rise in prices - we still enjoy gas this about 50% of the cost of gas in Europe and Japan which suffer under $7-8.00/gallon gas.

Old 03-17-2008, 02:48 PM

4,268 posts, read 8,361,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banker View Post
Gas will be near $4.00/gallon by summer...and five dollar gas is in our future by the end of the decade. We can thank the other developing countries like China for the high demand for oil right now. This is way beyond the US economy and the middle east. Right now demand is higher than it has ever been. In 2000 - there were approximately 20 million cars in China...by 2010 there will be 200 million. Supply and demand at work here. This is why we (the US) needs to be able to drill in Alaska and develop more refineries to process the oil once we get it. High gas prices are here to stay. But in spite of the recent rise in prices - we still enjoy gas this about 50% of the cost of gas in Europe and Japan which suffer under $7-8.00/gallon gas.
This is why we (the US) need to consider other modes of transportation, including better rail and bus service.

This is why we (the US) need to consider which vehicles we choose for transportation. You can get 55mpg or you can get 12mpg.

This means that we (the US) need to re-consider how we let our communities grow - if we continue to develop with the car and longer commute times as part of the plan, we increase our dependence upon oil. Any oil. If we re-develop our communities so that one does not *have* to drive to go to work, to the store, to the doctor etc and can rely more on foot/cycle or reasonable (fast and frequent and accessible) public transportation, we'll all be in better shape.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or