Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 12:24 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 37,970,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAguy View Post
All the nay sayers said the samething about the Toyota plant....
Were you here when the Toyota plant was announced? Because the way that went down is nothing like how the Amazon HQ competition is transpiring.

Toyota kept its cards much closer to the vest than Amazon is doing. There was no open competition between cities to land a plant. There was no speculation that it would go somewhere else. There were rumors that the city officials were talking to an auto manufacturer that might locate here, a few months before it was announced, but that was nothing like this.

The arrival of the Toyota plant was more like the move of the AT&T headquarters from SA. Ed Whitacre retired, there was minor speculation about what that might mean, and then one day... Boom! AT&T announced it was leaving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2017, 12:51 PM

448 posts, read 915,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
Were you here when the Toyota plant was announced? Because the way that went down is nothing like how the Amazon HQ competition is transpiring.

Toyota kept its cards much closer to the vest than Amazon is doing. There was no open competition between cities to land a plant. There was no speculation that it would go somewhere else. There were rumors that the city officials were talking to an auto manufacturer that might locate here, a few months before it was announced, but that was nothing like this.

The arrival of the Toyota plant was more like the move of the AT&T headquarters from SA. Ed Whitacre retired, there was minor speculation about what that might mean, and then one day... Boom! AT&T announced it was leaving.
I never implied it was at the same caliber. My point was, many said SA wouldn't land the Toyota for various reasons. The same nay sayers from then are back.

There's no reason why SA shouldn't persue Amazon. I'd rather hear Amazon say no to SA, than for the city to sit on the sidelines.

Old 09-20-2017, 11:51 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,420,022 times
I don't see why San Antonio shouldn't at least try. If you don't try, you have a 0% chance of getting anything.

Old 09-21-2017, 12:07 AM

2,911 posts, read 2,017,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
I don't see why San Antonio shouldn't at least try. If you don't try, you have a 0% chance of getting anything.
It may be too late to register to be in the running at this point. Looking at the list, I don't think SA would stand a chance compared to the amenities/infrastructures of the other cities. Kinda like getting an NFL team, if we (SA) would've committed to developing certain infrastructures early on, we probably could've had a chance.

Maybe 20 or so years down the road, I would like to see SA combine economic interests by teaming up with Austin (becoming a twin city metropolis), eventually closing up that 80 mile gap with companies, sports arenas, shopping, amusement parks, housing, etc.

Last edited by Remington Steel; 09-21-2017 at 12:17 AM..

Old 09-21-2017, 06:33 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,303,590 times
While not nearly of scale we just got the Hulu headquarters for their new spinoff. It's not like we are McAllen going after this. (I have no problem with McAllen)

Old 09-21-2017, 09:48 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,604 posts, read 57,568,971 times
Plenty of benefit to SA, just might not be a fit for Bezos.

lack of Transit, and availability of a continuous flow of skilled tech workforce will be negatives.

But SA is an excellent opportunity for the right companies.

Community / Economic Development folks are usually too narrow minded and 'marketing centric' thinking they can 'entice' businesses. While this is important (to some), it is not the DEAL BREAKER that lack of infrastructure / employees / available growth opportunities will be.

Red Carpet Economic Development presentations are nauseous events to sit through, when you are purposed on re-siting a factory / bringing thousands of jobs.

Old 09-22-2017, 11:12 AM

1,552 posts, read 2,316,572 times
I agree that the educational base is a problem, sadly. Neither of the big schools will produce what they might need for quite awhile. The airport and its connections are trivial. Having execs having to run through Atlanta, Dallas, Chicago, etc. every time they want to go somewhere is a royal pain.

Old 09-22-2017, 11:44 AM

6,691 posts, read 8,713,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
While not nearly of scale we just got the Hulu headquarters for their new spinoff. It's not like we are McAllen going after this. (I have no problem with McAllen)
That looks like customer service related work, right?

Old 09-22-2017, 12:52 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,172,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEM-Texas View Post
I agree that the educational base is a problem, sadly. Neither of the big schools will produce what they might need for quite awhile. The airport and its connections are trivial. Having execs having to run through Atlanta, Dallas, Chicago, etc. every time they want to go somewhere is a royal pain.
Most sizeable companies have their own private corporate jets, and lease hangar space at an airport near their HQ. Their execs aren't standing in TSA lines, dealing with scanners and searches when traveling on business. AT&T is an example of a company that leased a hangar at San Antonio International when their HQ was here. The lack of non-stop direct flights isn't really an issue for executive corporate travel in that situation.

Now, if you're talking about lower-level staffers that have to travel on business, that could be another matter, especially where executives are wanting to minimize inconveniences to their lesser-ranking employees as much as possible.

Old 09-23-2017, 09:50 AM

1,009 posts, read 1,106,492 times
The SATX airport is a joke and so small of an operation. Austin airport is nicer too! Hell, even Nashville airport is nicer. It's amazing to me that such a small airport services an area this big.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio