U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-15-2008, 09:24 PM

3,644 posts, read 4,979,486 times
Default Anyone make it out to Luminaria?

It was amazing! Although a little too amazing in places ;-)

I loved that everywhere you turned there was some art event (music, poetry readings, dance, film, paint, sculpture, etc) and very interactive. The downside was there was too much in a small space, so esp. with the music, there were competing bands within a short distance which really wasn't fair to the musicians or the listeners.

Overall, though, very impressive. I was dead tired as I had forgotten about it and had just walked downtown with my daughter to wander around a bit. Walked home and DH said "Luminaria starts in 30 minutes. Let's go!" But it was worth it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2008, 06:44 AM

5,651 posts, read 8,280,569 times
Unfortunately missed it this year, but saw it on the news and it looked to be really neat...plan on making it next year for sure!!!

It is not open today is it??? I think with the weather today would be a nice day to get out and walk around.

Old 03-16-2008, 07:28 AM

346 posts, read 461,151 times
I went too. Good crowd.

Old 03-16-2008, 08:15 AM

3,338 posts, read 9,467,318 times
It was great!!!!! The best part was the free shuttle bus from all the parking lots with free parking. A lesson to be learned by the city for Fiesta.
It was a bit of overload to the senses. The lights and the sounds and visuals were wonderful. And there was art to appeal to everyone's taste.
There were events all over the city, the museums and art galleries had different events all day. All free. Who says this city is lacking in culture? It's well hidden, but yesterday it was out in the open for eveyone.
The best part was the fireworks ending. They were better than New Year's Eve. They were shot off the top of the Emily Morgan over the Alamo.
The lights on the Alamo were my favorite. I hope that it becomes an annual event.

Last edited by ShaneSA; 03-16-2008 at 08:18 AM.. Reason: addition

Old 03-16-2008, 12:54 PM

If forgot about the fireworks! We'd have been able to see them from home for sure, but I got tired and fell asleep

Old 03-16-2008, 11:51 PM

1,836 posts, read 1,864,046 times
SA could really host this kind of event on a monthly basis (well, without the cost-prohibitive fireworks).

The event photos looked amazing and I was sad I wasn't in town to take advantage of this Hardberger-driven event.

Maybe he's not such an old coot after all

BN

Old 03-17-2008, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminNicholas View Post
SA could really host this kind of event on a monthly basis (well, without the cost-prohibitive fireworks).

The event photos looked amazing and I was sad I wasn't in town to take advantage of this Hardberger-driven event.

Maybe he's not such an old coot after all

BN
One of the wonderful things about it is that everything was FREE. none of the events I saw required a fee, which is a huge change from Fiesta.

Another aspect was that though the streets were packed, the atmosphere was nothing like Fiesta. There was alcohol to be purchased and plenty of people sipping wine or beer wandering around, but it wasn't the big drunken fest that all Fiesta events seem to be.

This is the first time they've done it, and from what I heard is more common in big cities like Rio, Paris, etc. Certainly no Texas cities have ever done it. I'm not sure if they aim to make it a yearly event or not. It certainly is a wonderful opportunity for local artists of all types to showcase their work. I was impressed at just how many artists live/work in San Antonio.

All that said, we have a much smaller version of this every month on First Friday, although I'd prefer if they closed off the streets like S. Alamo to traffic!

Old 04-29-2009, 01:14 PM

1,594 posts, read 2,216,591 times
I went by accident, I was attending a show at the Majestic Theatre and checked it out before the show. I liked it, might go next year if they have it. Could of used more variety of food venders though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio