Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2017, 06:43 PM

17 posts, read 23,326 times

Advertisements

Hello all and thanks in advance,

Doing some maintenance around the house and noticed along one side of the house the very bottom piece of siding has really become separated, and was wondering what the best course of action is to take to fix it? Obviously just attempting to caulk the entire length with that much of a gap is not going to work, unless its recommended to use some type of a masonry/concrete adhesive? It doesn't look right to me wanted some feed back.. I have attached some photo for reference also I'm redoing an expansion joint in my backyard patio and have attached the link below for any recommendations on that too

Patio Expansion Gap

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
House Siding Separation-siding-1.jpg   House Siding Separation-siding-3.jpg   House Siding Separation-siding.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2017, 12:29 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,388,475 times
Default Right thing to do?

I am not a siding expert but spray foam adhesive will work handily at that.
It is the stickiest stuff I have even seen so wear rubber gloves and long sleeves if you use this remedy and don't get any on the side of the house...
If you do it in sections and put a weighted object against the siding it will glue,
adhere, the siding to the house permanently and it is, insulating foam.
Available at Home Depot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by disnetrz View Post
Hello all and thanks in advance,

Doing some maintenance around the house and noticed along one side of the house the very bottom piece of siding has really become separated, and was wondering what the best course of action is to take to fix it? Obviously just attempting to caulk the entire length with that much of a gap is not going to work, unless its recommended to use some type of a masonry/concrete adhesive? It doesn't look right to me wanted some feed back.. I have attached some photo for reference also I'm redoing an expansion joint in my backyard patio and have attached the link below for any recommendations on that too

Patio Expansion Gap

Thanks

Old 09-24-2017, 03:57 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,909,338 times
There's actually nothing wrong with the installation. The Hardi Types of siding are not the drain plane and are not weatherproof anyway. The drain plane or weatherproofing is behind it. If it just bothers you, use the minimal expanding foam insulation. DO NOT foam at the corners or where you have windows as this is where the siding leaks rain water and you'll trap it in the wall cavity. Mold will be your next best friend if you do. The siding on your particular job has been installed by blind nailing. So it's a little hard to gauge where the plate line is but the weatherproofing/drain plain will extend down to the bottom of the plate line. The plate is sealed either with a foam pad under it or sealed with expanding foam. The sealing is a code requirement and has been since IRC 2004. Frankly, I'd leave it alone as you might create issues.

Old 11-01-2017, 10:44 PM

3 posts, read 2,239 times
Default Foam Adhesive

Yes, I agree to use the foam adhesive will work. You can easily get it near you and do it yourself. If it does not work, then do take the help of some professionals who can guide you and they will give you a permanent solution for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio